Something I Believed By John Malloy

The vocal sounds like it's coming through a doorway to a big empty concert hall while the picked guitar sounds like its amp is right next to me, in terms of volume, tone and reverb. The drums sound like they're in that other room with the singer. Try getting a solid mix with just drums and vocal, keeping them nice and clear, then add the bass, then fill in around them with guitars.

The voice is doubled, right? I'd pick one to be the lead and place it center. Then set the other one back a touch and do a high shelf cut from about 3kHz up, panned just slightly off center if panned at all.

Horns might be cool, but keep them subdued so they don't step on the vocal.

It sounds a lot better. Now what I'd do is decrease the reverb on the drums and bring them up. The guitars that are up front in the mix need a cut somewhere between 2kHz and 4kHz. They poke out a bit too much. Maybe a compressor with a fairly fast attack to soften them. And center that lead vocal.

It sounds a lot better. Now what I'd do is decrease the reverb on the drums and bring them up. The guitars that are up front in the mix need a cut somewhere between 2kHz and 4kHz. They poke out a bit too much. Maybe a compressor with a fairly fast attack to soften them. And center that lead vocal.

Thanks again , I can actually hear the difference. LOL So many variables. Horns will be a challenge, but I hear them in my head. Again thanks you have been a huge help.

Nice song!
I love the chord progression and the melody. Simple and effective.
The snare is in another space. The guitars are close and dry and the drums are wet with reverb and way back. You could either make the guitars wetter or the drums drier. If you could get them closer to the same space it would help the mix.
good job.

ncie country feeling, I would put back the guitars a little back in the stereo field. The vocals could come a little louder here and there. But I like the idea and the sound :D

Back