Somebody's Baby Mix Critique Cover

The canned drums sound very very canned. I can't really give useful feedback when listening on this machine otherwise, but that stood out. Sounds very Jackson Browneish at first blush though.

I liked the singing. Very close to the original. Very nice vocal tone.

There are times where the mix leans to the right. The guitar over there, every once in a while, is louder than the one on the left.

I also think the guitar volume is too loud relative to the bass. I'd nudge the guitars down and nudge the bass up.

The drums are a little mechanical. I didn't have quite the negative reaction as Arm. But there was a sameness to every hit that gave it a boring feel. The snare also seemed louder than the rest of the kit.

Drums aren't canned so there's that

My apologies, I perhaps should have written what Trip wrote - they sound very mechanical. Congratulate the drummer on his / her perfect timing. This computer I'm using is making every snare hit sound exactly the same, which is unusual for real drumming. I shall desist from commenting on people's stuff until I work out how to for once and for always defeat the beats soundcard it has.:thumbs up:

Drums aren't canned so there's that

eh, coulda fooled me. Dude plays in absolutely perfect time but he doesn't do fills.

Anyway, agree with TripleM, guitars sound a touch loud and panned relative to the other instruments. Back them off to make a little more space for the vocals perhaps.

great vocals. yours?

that snare cannot be real. come on. are you saying this isn't programmed drums??

great mix overall, not much to criticize. vocals sit perfectly in the middle with some space around them. every word nice and clear. what mic is this? great work

great vocals. yours?

that snare cannot be real. come on. are you saying this isn't programmed drums??

great mix overall, not much to criticize. vocals sit perfectly in the middle with some space around them. every word nice and clear. what mic is this? great work

Thx Yes I played / sing everything. I used an apogee duet and a gap pre. At4047 and sm57 The snare has a sample behind it I will bring it down (maybe that will help. Personally I like tight mechanical drums. I recorded hi hat separately. Only vi is piano. I will post some snippets of individual tracks. Drums are pretty edited. Bass and drums are very tight and that's intentional.
"Guy doesn't do fills". Original song fills are pretty limited

I will look at some more verb I usually like dry.

Great vocals man! I wonder if the guitars wouldn't benefit from something to distinguish them from each other? They sound exactly the same, maybe that's intentional. The backing vocals in "she's gonna be somebody's baby tonight" (bridge I think) sound a little odd for some reason, maybe something about the eq, high-passed real high maybe?

Great cover.

Great vocals man! I wonder if the guitars wouldn't benefit from something to distinguish them from each other? They sound exactly the same, maybe that's intentional. The backing vocals in "she's gonna be somebody's baby tonight" (bridge I think) sound a little odd for some reason, maybe something about the eq, high-passed real high maybe?

Great cover.

Some great points. I only have one decent amp and guitar that's why. I'll look into the backing vocals I didn't notice anything at what time?

very good cover, your name should be Jackson. one of my favorite bands from high school. I listened to yours then pulled up the original on you tube, very close, the vocals are spot on. would like to hear you do Boulevard! Great job.:D

At 1:54 is an example of what I mentioned, it sounds like the voices are missing some body. That's just a nit though, the mix sounds great.

Love the voice, great delivery and tone on everything. Guitars had a little too much gain for me, but mainly needed to sit back in the mix a bit (maybe reverb?) as they sounded more "present and up front" compared to the vocals. :D:D:D:D

I love your voice, the way you sing this. I can hear what easlern is talking about with the backing vocals, though I'm not sure how to describe it. I want to say it's kind of a phaser-like sound. In any case, great cover!

Back