"Some Time" - original progressive rock

GONZO-X

from the new Bats Brew album 'Stay'

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/some-time-from-the-new-bats-brew-album-stay

thanks to Falcon Eddy Studios for mastering and reality-check services;
cdbaby duplicators/disk makers for the cd packages;
thanks to my parents, who this album was dedicated to......
thanks to god and the devil, for inspiration.

some pics of some of the players on this tune:

2016_guitar_rig1.jpg
tabriz_session.jpg
taylor.jpg
C_LB70.jpg

Great playing and singing as always. The song I liked less well than the last one. The abrupt changes and new sections kept me anticipating some kind of hook or big chorus. When it never came, I was left feeling the joke had been on me. To be fair, this is my reaction to much of the prog I hear anymore. I think back to an earlier era in prog, when bands like Yes or Kansas wrote complex songs that deferred the listeners expectations before finally delivering big time. When the point is not to defer but to defeat and frustrate, it loses me. Eventually, I start thinking "fool me once..." Anyway, that's my reaction. Those doubled acoustics in the intro sounded quite nice. How did you record them?

robus:
hey, thanks for listening.

the acoustics (taylor 414) were recorded with a single condenser mic each track,
there's actually three tracks during the beginning, two rhythm, one doing harmonics.

I used a shure KSM44, run into a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, out and into a DBX compressor, out and into a maudio audiophile 192 soundcard.
post EQ and FX added at mixdown.

i sat about a foot away from the mic, with it pointing towards the neck join to the body.

yes, i'm not big into 'hooks'. i like telling the story, going on a journey, it is different for some people, and some people dig it.
some don't
it's all good.

I missed those harmonics. Cool idea. I'll have to try it next time I record a song with acoustic guitar. I've got a 414ce with the cutout.

This tune kind of drifted for me in the middle and then then from around 2min it cut loose. I like the harmony guitars and harmonics. Kick and snare could be more present. Great wacky tune that erupts into organised chaos. Mix sounds fine on my puny office speakers

woke up this morning with a tune in my head,was it something i wrote in my sleep ?

no!

it was this! listened the other day and it stuck in my head, LOVE the acoustic guitars :D \o/

anyhoo,i knew it was you,it has your unique style all over it so had to head over to SC and find it :)

there not many solo artists that you can say have developed their own sound,but you well and truly have :)

edit: btw LOVE that ibanez,beautiful ! :D

This tune kind of drifted for me in the middle and then then from around 2min it cut loose. I like the harmony guitars and harmonics. Kick and snare could be more present. Great wacky tune that erupts into organised chaos. Mix sounds fine on my puny office speakers

hey bulls,
thanks for listening to this one...

that's perfect that it drifted..
exactly what i was going for.

it's almost like a ballad, that morphs into a remorseful mess....
and goes exactly with the lyric.

it sounds better on real speakers tho....
the snare and kick will sound correct thru the right playback....

woke up this morning with a tune in my head,was it something i wrote in my sleep ?

no!

it was this! listened the other day and it stuck in my head, LOVE the acoustic guitars :D \o/
anyhoo,i knew it was you,it has your unique style all over it so had to head over to SC and find it :)
there not many solo artists that you can say have developed their own sound,but you well and truly have :)

edit: btw LOVE that ibanez,beautiful ! :D

alright cakewalk, thanks for the review! heheh, yes, i like that ibanez too.
it's patina, and the way the stain has burned in, and away in places, is kinda cool.....

i've spent a lot of time developing a 'style', that's for sure.
it did not happen over night.
but, it's funny, i listen to stuff i jammed on as far back as 1981, and it pretty much sounds the same to me...
weird how that works.

Back