Some feedback on my 1st time recording.

LEEKING2005

So I had brought an AKG D5s microphone, after that I thought why not I record a song and make it as a tribute to this microphone.

But after listen to my own my recording I think "Wtf, I didn't sound like this!".

And I don't even know which part in my recording had gone wrong. Is it equipment, my skill, my new microphone or etc...

So I decided to upload my 1st song and ask for some experienced suggestions here.

My equipment list was, AKG D5s (microphone), Zoom G5 guitar multi effect processor, some no brand earphones and Cubase LE8 that came with G5.

I didn't use virtual compressor because I don't like how it altering my voice, didn't use any EQ for the same reason, only a virtual tube amp to amplify my voice.

But I didn't like the result as it was clearly lack of "live" feels ( The affection, colouring, bass, vibrato & etc ) compared to my real voice and it was damn muddy.

Can't I had some decent sound without altering my voice in software much?

Attached the file and looking some suggestions here.

View attachment snake eater.mp3

It really does sound like there's a blanket over the microphone when you recorded this. You should just be able to get a clear vocal recording with the cheapest of gear.

How are you recording this? What interface are you using?

A new recording will probably be needed as I don't think that is fixable. While I can't hear a great deal, there are definite tuning issues going on, and you're almost certainly too close to the mike. automating the vocals will do it a world of good. Bear that in mind when you redo it.

I like the song. It's all a bit incongruous, a bit like a James Bond theme theme song as it might have been sung in the 1920s in a cabaret in some place like Berlin. But I really do like it. You need to rethink the vocals. They don't sit in the mix at all. It sounds like you are singing along to a transistor radio late at night, when you don't want to wake people in the house. You're entirely in falsetto, which requires an unusual level of commitment to pull off, if you can pull it off at all. If you're going to do falsetto, you have to own the vocal totally. You can't be hesitant. If that's not possible, then find a singer. I would suggest a female singer who can do a cabaret style vocal.

As far as the vocal processing goes, if you can nail the take, the processing won't be much of an issue. You can fix minor pitch problems with software, but you can't make a tentative performance sound bold and confident--ask me how I know.

I had the same question as PhilLondon - what interface/preamp/converters are you using? The G5? So you're using a guitar effects processor as a mic preamp?

Additionally, the mix is clipping in quite a few places. It's the instrumental tracks that are clipping. It's quite audible.

Yeah, between me and the microphone I'd use some cheap On Stage Foam Ball-Type Mic Windscreen.

I'm sure it was not expensive because it was very soft, thick and actually gave to me as gift along the AKG D5.

Would that be the culprit that murdering my voice?

I'm using a Guitar multi effect processor known as Zoom G5 to do the recording, it has a tube pre amp and I've set 1 digital booster in the 9 effect chains.

I'm putting my mic downward position and the mic was slightly above my head cause it was damn sensitive, this mic actually more sensative than most condenser mic cause it has 26mV/Pa. I've tried to sing downward as possible but this mic is hard to tame, funny thing is when I using a speaker singing (via monitor output of G5) live it wont matter, but when I recording it kept clipping. Since I don't use a compressor, I have to monitor my loudness all the time and the latter part actually more dB gain than the formal (as with the original singer) and it make the recording hard as hell cause this song was supposed to soft in beginning and loud in ending, but I could not do it due to clipping issues.

What means automating the vocal?

I like the song. It's all a bit incongruous, a bit like a James Bond theme theme song as it might have been sung in the 1920s in a cabaret in some place like Berlin. But I really do like it. You need to rethink the vocals. They don't sit in the mix at all. It sounds like you are singing along to a transistor radio late at night, when you don't want to wake people in the house. You're entirely in falsetto, which requires an unusual level of commitment to pull off, if you can pull it off at all. If you're going to do falsetto, you have to own the vocal totally. You can't be hesitant. If that's not possible, then find a singer. I would suggest a female singer who can do a cabaret style vocal.

As far as the vocal processing goes, if you can nail the take, the processing won't be much of an issue. You can fix minor pitch problems with software, but you can't make a tentative performance sound bold and confident--ask me how I know.

Sorry to let you down, but it was not original, it was a game soundtrack.

I choose this song because it was hard, but recording really make it became a hell, especially when high resonant of my false vibrato and opera singing skill became muddy and only recording my nasal voice.

I found my vocal is muddy and unpleasant but listen to this song you should knock up the volume until the vocal can be clearly heard, I know it recording in lower volume in beginning but it is essential to not make the latter part clipping..

Ps: I should just stick with something simple such as "slow love slow by Nightwish". But the song had been chose and now no turning back... And I had no problem with singing falsetto (actually some of it was opera singing style) cause my favourite singer was Nightwish and Kamelot (both with old singer). And Kamelot famous with his false vibrato.

Last edited:
Are you sure the G5 can be used as a mic preamp? It's not an amazing guitar processor, so I can't imagine that it would do a great job with a microphone, no offence. Also, you mention that you have to be ultra sensitive with your voice; that's because you can't set the gain on the input on your G5, its not the microphone, the G5 is just not suitable for the job. Don't have any effects set on it if you can as you can't take them off later.

Automating the vocals is where you manually set markers for volume changes on a track. So I will have 1db, 2db increases here, a 0.4db there etc, to maintain a consistent volume and then use a little compression just to bring it all together.

Personally, I don't think the G5 is suitable at all, and it's overloading and distorting your voice. Get a cheap Focusrite USB interface and I bet you'll be good to go.

Are you sure the G5 can be used as a mic preamp? It's not an amazing guitar processor, so I can't imagine that it would do a great job with a microphone, no offence. Also, you mention that you have to be ultra sensitive with your voice; that's because you can't set the gain on the input on your G5, its not the microphone, the G5 is just not suitable for the job. Don't have any effects set on it if you can as you can't take them off later.

Automating the vocals is where you manually set markers for volume changes on a track. So I will have 1db, 2db increases here, a 0.4db there etc, to maintain a consistent volume and then use a little compression just to bring it all together.

Personally, I don't think the G5 is suitable at all, and it's overloading and distorting your voice. Get a cheap Focusrite USB interface and I bet you'll be good to go.

I donno, as no one mention it on-line.

Actually you can set the gain on G5, it was a hardware pre amp (It had 1 on/off button, a gain and a tone knob). Some even say replacing the cheap tube inside of G5 would significantly increasing the guitar sound, would you recommending if I replace my tube before go to Focusrite interface.

I actually don't like to put effect on my voice, as I believe the two favourite singers of mine didn't do it also. I just use a booster in G5 as I found the the tube preamp didn't pack with enough gain to push my dynamic mic.

Hmm, I didn't see the automating part in the Cubase tutorial, so I split the track into two in the starting of the middle bridge, and gave them different gain. Actually what is compressor do? I always thought after compress you just won't get clipping, but it altering my voice too much and I didn't look into it.

I also don't think G5 can be use in good vocal recording, but the thought of guitar/vocal effect processor, preamp and interface in 1 USD 350 devices is irresistible (And I'm moving quite frequently). Currently I'm doubting my foam windscreen damping my voice unevenly and make my voice hear weak. Will try that 1 by 1.

Yeah, between me and the microphone I'd use some cheap On Stage Foam Ball-Type Mic Windscreen.

I'm sure it was not expensive because it was very soft, thick and actually gave to me as gift along the AKG D5.

Would that be the culprit that murdering my voice?

I'm using a Guitar multi effect processor known as Zoom G5 to do the recording, it has a tube pre amp and I've set 1 digital booster in the 9 effect chains.

I've never used a G5 as a mic pre (or for anything) nor a foam ball as a pop filter. So take this for what it's worth. But I think the G5 as a mic pre is the more likely culprit.

You don't use gain to control the dynamics of the volume. You use it to boost the signal. All you're doing is making the low parts louder and the louder parts louder. The volume disparity will still exist.

Automatation is about selecting single parts of a track, like a vocal track and increasing or decreasing the volume manually on the parts that you need to to maintain a constant volume. You can also automate panning, EQing, amongst other stuff.

Compression is about controlling the dynamics and bringing the lower dynamics closer to the higher. It's nothing to do with preventing clipping.

Personally, I think there's a lot for you to understand and you will have many questions. You should start with gain staging, and getting a good basic fundamental of how to get a basic recording. The G5 will not cut if, you can't control the input gain in the same way as a regular USB interface. I doubt it's the pop shield, it's the G5 without a doubt and no tube change will help you get a good recording.

I've had a look and there's no input/gain knob and no Mike input. How are you connecting it?

You don't use gain to control the dynamics of the volume. You use it to boost the signal. All you're doing is making the low parts louder and the louder parts louder. The volume disparity will still exist.

Automatation is about selecting single parts of a track, like a vocal track and increasing or decreasing the volume manually on the parts that you need to to maintain a constant volume. You can also automate panning, EQing, amongst other stuff.

Compression is about controlling the dynamics and bringing the lower dynamics closer to the higher. It's nothing to do with preventing clipping.

Personally, I think there's a lot for you to understand and you will have many questions. You should start with gain staging, and getting a good basic fundamental of how to get a basic recording. The G5 will not cut if, you can't control the input gain in the same way as a regular USB interface. I doubt it's the pop shield, it's the G5 without a doubt and no tube change will help you get a good recording.

I've had a look and there's no input/gain knob and no Mike input. How are you connecting it?

I just use the guitar input port to connecting my mic (the input had passive and active mode, I pick passive cause it sound better).

The G5 had a tube preamp in it, the tube preamp can control the input gain more or less in the same way as USB interface.

I probably need more time to justify but maybe I use a tube preamp in guitar processor 1 time and use a software tube amp to booster it in Cubase for 2nd time, so it make the sound distorting very much.

Anyway, this probably would be a long road to fing out what exactly going wrong as I'm actually very new in recording.

Back