Solo demo 4 tracks. 50s 60s influenced

https://soundcloud.com/david-lane-13

1st solo demo recorded on a Boss BR 600. Still a lot to learn via this 8 track. Any feedback welcome and thankyou for listening.

The songs, arrangements, instrumentation playing and vocals are freaking great. Can't really find fault with the craftmanship as it is all good stuff and right up my alley. The mixes are thin, low in level, faraway sounding, way too much high end and a little grating.

Chuck

Thanks for the feedback chuck. Can you elaborate on the high end and grating sound for me. There were tracks that couldnt be changed as were already stored on mastertrack and with other instruments/vocals not down yet, to keep a balance was a challange.

Thankyou. Believe me, it was all done on the cheap. Keep checking into soundcloud for other updates if your into it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the positive feedback musicgeekandlvr. Its actually the noise of a record and its a vocal effect the 8 track has, but when used your vocal doesnt come off as loud as hoped, so i just recorded the effect on its own on one track and vocals seperatley. That way i could balance them out to my liking. Thanks again

Interesting mix. Been a long time since I recorded to tape. It does have an old feel to it. Song sounds great, just your vocals seem to be getting lost in the mix. Could be volume but I am leaning more toward too much reverb the is mushing the mix and making them unclear. Good job though

I don't know, I couldn't listen to any of them really. The second tune has tons of audible distortion and crackling nonstop, not sure how anyone else didn't notice or mind. The first tune, the high end was piercing sharp and the waveform is apparently smashed just by looking.

The songs and performances were very good, just couldn't handle the mixes myself.

Thanks for the feedback. Ive found that recording vocals/instruments through the device instead of through microphone gives a much clearer sound. Problem is im not keen on some effects and would much rather mike up. Its actually a BR600 digital.Thanks again.

Each to their own and thanks for listening in. Im never convinced of any mix and always strive to get it onto master in the best listening sense at the time. Its trial and error really and with the new device i used i recorded in the most basic way possible. Thanks for listening in and appreciate the comment.

Back