Softdance 2014

rayc

retroreprobate

Softdance - an oldish tune with rerecorded guitars.
Rami on drums and Ido1957 did the solo.
Terry on vocals & sax.
Mix thoughts please.
REVISED MIX: (also in posttop page two).

Last edited:
it has some pretty good dynamics, the lead vocals are a little bit too bassy and muddy, there is just one frequency that's irritating somewhere around 150-250Hz, if you cut it a little I think it'd be cleaner sounding. I like the punchy sounding drums though, it also needs more 'glue' and somehow isn't hanging together properly as a mix, it's mainly a frequency thing though, where some more brutal high and low pass filtering should help, it also lacks air and presence overall and is slightly on the darker side tonally.

Ray, agree with the above as well. Little muddy on the vocals. I thought the bass was thumpy (but not rumbly), but that is not always bad.

I really like the guitar sound. Classic sound. Things are shaky playing-wise in the intro. Just a couple seconds where they're not locked in.

This song could really be kicked into a higher gear with a different performance. To me, it needs a performance that's boader-line screaming. Or at least closer to it than this take. If there was some "urgency" in the delivery I think it'd sound really cool. The performance sounded like you were "trying to get through the take." Who's the boss - you or the song? Show the song you're the boss.

Drums sound good. Bass sounds good.

I didn't care for the sax solo. But then I'm not a big fan of saxes. A guitar solo would've suited me better. Personal taste thing.

Hey Ray - good to revisit songs to see what you can do after more experience and more gear :)..... I agree the intro could use a look timing wise. The only other thing that I noticed was the vocal on the verses were slightly quieter than the choruses. I'd also up the sax a bit so it equals the chorus level.

Hi Ray - I like the song - it has a great retro '60's feel.
Agree with others that the vocals are a bit muddy. I think the "laid back" delivery could work in this context, but the EQ still needs some tweaking to add high end and subtract mud.
My other nit is that I wanted to hear some greater contrast between the verse and refrain. The rhythm guitars churn away through the whole thing without much variation (although they sound good) - some extra instrumentation coming in at the refrain would kick up the energy a notch.
Love the sax solo!

You've posted this one before. I'd like to hear the electric gits come up, they seem kinda polite and quiet. The vocal delivery is a little sluggish in places, drum fill around 2:01 sounds comically out of place, like it got lost on the way to Hot For Teacher. Overall a pretty cool song, if I revisited one performance issue it would be the vox.

Thanks folks,
my chief concern was regarding the guitar sound. This song has had about 50 guitar track over time and I hoped this set, (three different guitars, three different mics, one marshall cab & one tube amp) might get there.
I'll take care of the timing issues.
Vocals, this is the 2nd recorded version done about 5 years after the original (the 1st in about 86), Terry has often talked about rerecording but I don't think it's going to happen. If you listen to any of the original Pygmy Beat songs you'll find restraint is probably the most common tool in our bag musically, lyrically and in performance. It comes from being two chalkies I think.
I'll try some EQ as suggested but the original vox had quite a few noise issues that had to be dealt with and it's that has had an effect.
I'm happy to bring the guitars up a bit if someone'll second your motion fat_fleet. I've been told to bring them down so many times in the past that it's my default position.
Sax solo? Well there are three solo spots so I shared them around a bit.
The drum fill at 2mins made more sense with the original guitar parts - they revved to double time for that few moments.
I'll try all suggestions for an early morning remix.
Thanks folks.

I think the guitar level is fine. Tone sounds good to me too. Right for the song. I'm used to Terry's light touch talking vocals, so it's no big deal to me, but I can see where someone new to yall's songs would be like WTF? He's no Joey for sure. I don't think EQ'ing will "fix" the vocal tracks. I think most of the issue with the vocal track is just performance. The backing tracks are rocking along, and then there's this timid vocal approach. There's just a fundamental disconnect between the two.

For the mix, I guess it's okay. The cut out at 1:38 is awkward. The sax solos seem to be swimming in too much room and they're low in the mix. I'd be okay with losing them all together and replace them with keys or more guitar solos. I like saxophones, but not usually as solo instruments. That's just me though. If you're gonna try to fix the vocals, getting more "air" into them would probably be a good thing, and maybe compress the snot out of them to get some level consistency. And Rami is an awesome drummer for sure, but that drum solo at the end is kind of unnecessary and silly. :D

Greg,
The end drum part was just Rami mucking about and isn't going to remain.
I'll address the cut at 1.38.
Saxs will have to stay so I'll try your ideas.
Thanks.

Revised mix,
I think I fixed the timing issue.
I've raised the sax solos.
I couldn't add any top end EQ to vox or sax due to background noise on each of those.
Brought up the arpeggio guitar during the choruses to balance the sustained chord guitar that already pops up in the chorus.
Chopped the tail off.
Lifted the bass in the little breakdown spot.
Any improvement on the 1st mix?

Last edited:
Yes sounds better overall - but - :) the intro is still off a tad on the guitars.... I hate to be picky but....oh well.. :D

Ok Gerry,
Good call. I went back in an made a further adjustment.
Is this closer? It? Almost?
Anyone else anything to add, change, augment given the vocals & sax haven't be altered by EQ?

OK, you can tell I'm nearing the end of my holiday...here's the above version with some mud removed from the sax & vocals plus a little "air" added to both. There's more noise in them now and the vocal esses a little more but it may not be obvious to you.
Let me know which works best please.

Last edited:
Closer but still seems ahead of the beat ever so slightly on the intro. I like how you can dial up the same sound on the guitar with each take.
The sax and vocals are better IMHO and stand out as they should - pretty close to equal volume which is good....

Back