So Worried Mix - Please advice. Lot going on

LJUK

Thanks to everyone that replied and advised on my other track Used To Be.

I'm trying to mix the next track I've been working on but I don't know where to start as there's a lot going on with all the synths/guitars/effects/vocals. I think this track could sound good with the right mix/master but at the minute it just sounds a mess and doesn't seem to have any punch.

If anyone could have a listen to what I've got so far and advise any steps forward it would be very much appreciated.

(the bass was programmed as I'm between basses at the minute - but it'll be recorded again properly before being mastered)

I'd add an extra couple dbs to the kick drum and maybe tone down the overall washy reverb on the drums. This will help the drums punch through with more authority and not compete for the already congested atmospheric space on the track (due to the other panned instrumentation).

Other than that, I don't think this is particularly 'off' in any way. Try tweaking the drums and do a test mastering run with some compression and see how things mesh together.

I'd add an extra couple dbs to the kick drum and maybe tone down the overall washy reverb on the drums. This will help the drums punch through with more authority and not compete for the already congested atmospheric space on the track (due to the other panned instrumentation).

Other than that, I don't think this is particularly 'off' in any way. Try tweaking the drums and do a test mastering run with some compression and see how things mesh together.

Thanks for replying. Ok I'll have a play with the drums a bit and see if it changes the feel of the song.

Overall it sound good. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to be lacking some middle or something. say, between the 2-4K range. I am not 100% sure, but maybe the rhythm guitar could be a little more in the mix. I can hear it and it sound nice, but maybe too far back.

If you can hear then you may want to change, you can't, then it could be I am full of it. But it is a very good mix.

Overall it sound good. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to be lacking some middle or something. say, between the 2-4K range. I am not 100% sure, but maybe the rhythm guitar could be a little more in the mix. I can hear it and it sound nice, but maybe too far back.

If you can hear then you may want to change, you can't, then it could be I am full of it. But it is a very good mix.

Thanks very much for listening and your opinion. I'll see if I can bring the guitars up a bit. I don't really understand it as to me the levels sound about right but there just doesn't seem to be any life in the song.

make a second track with the same kick, and turn it into a sub kick. Brink out the high kids in the original kick.
Major high pass on the OH and Hihat. Down till about 700-1000 HZ
try a more aggressive compressor on the snare with a gated verb.
Put the drums through their own bus compressor and a tad of verb.
Guitars need more midrange and attack.
Vox needs more gain. hi pass them and a fast compression

make a second track with the same kick, and turn it into a sub kick. Brink out the high kids in the original kick.
Major high pass on the OH and Hihat. Down till about 700-1000 HZ
try a more aggressive compressor on the snare with a gated verb.
Put the drums through their own bus compressor and a tad of verb.
Guitars need more midrange and attack.
Vox needs more gain. hi pass them and a fast compression

Thank you for such detailed advice. I'll have a go at doing what you say and see how it sounds.

I don't really understand it as to me the levels sound about right but there just doesn't seem to be any life in the song.

Yes! Like I said, I can't put my finger on it as everything is perfect, but it isn't. I am glad you said that as that was where my head was. It might not be the levels so much as you may need a sound, notes what not to key off of and compliment the vocals.

Like I said, everything is perfect, and yet that may be the problem.

Like I said, everything is perfect, and yet that may be the problem.

I disagree, there is a lot of frequency battles between the drums guitars and synths, Most of the reason it sounds cluttered. drums need space to breath, they are all over the place.
The whole mix could be tightened more.
Mastering would only accentuate the issues.

I disagree, there is a lot of frequency battles between the drums guitars and synths, Most of the reason it sounds cluttered. drums need space to breath, they are all over the place.
The whole mix could be tightened more.
Mastering would only accentuate the issues.

OK, it is not perfect, I stand corrected. :o

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking everything said on board. Also maybe will sound better when the real bass line is recorded. Not quite sure about the backing harmony vocals in the chorus either. They were a bit high to sing and had to use some pitch correction.

Ok, so I've spent a few hours making the suggested improvements and a few other things but I've hit the 'mixing wall'. My ears are hurting so I can't tell if it's the mix or the fact i've been doing it for too long/too loud.

If people could have another listen and advise if it's better/worse/or what to do next it will be great.

Many thanks

Last edited:
It still has a slightly distant feel. I'm starting to lean toward the theory that nothing is dominant and therefore everything takes up equal space, making it a bit of a sonic mash.

The mix isn't bad, it just doesn't pop out like I think maybe it could or should. How does it sound compared to other tracks you've done recently?

I've had another go at it. I've made it so the chorus is slightly louder than the verses to improve the dynamics. I think this mix sounds better. Still slightly dull sounding but maybe a bright master could bring it more to life.

Again, if people could listen and advice it will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Back