So Untrue

Listening to the March 9th mix...

I'm not crazy about the thin clean electric, sounds a little hollow.

I like the vocals, especially the falsetto in the melody. Nicely done. They poke out in a couple of spots, not sure if it's a dynamics thing or a dryness thing. The vocals are dry but I like them like this.

The acoustic guitars sound great to me, nice tone and they sit well in the mix. Actually the whole mix sounds very well balanced to me other than the low end. I could use a little more boom and thump overall.

Great song!

Yup, this kit just sounds so much more appropriate for this to my ears. Good choice. The cool bass part is definitely more distinct as a result too.

Cheers heat. Thanks for coming back and having another listen. :thumbs up:

Listening to the March 9th mix...

I'm not crazy about the thin clean electric, sounds a little hollow.

I like the vocals, especially the falsetto in the melody. Nicely done. They poke out in a couple of spots, not sure if it's a dynamics thing or a dryness thing. The vocals are dry but I like them like this.

The acoustic guitars sound great to me, nice tone and they sit well in the mix. Actually the whole mix sounds very well balanced to me other than the low end. I could use a little more boom and thump overall.

Great song!

Quite a bit has changed since the March 9th Mix. I should've updated the original post with the latest. (I have now)

Now I have a brighter kit in there and there's less muddiness in the low end I can afford to fatten up the electric guitars a touch. These will be re-tracked either today or tomorrow with a mic'd up amp rather than the current Amplitude I'm using. these were only ever scratch tracks of ideas.

Thanks for the listen and comments. :thumbs up:

Hey MrClean, each update's stronger than the one before it so I think you're making good progress :thumbs up:

Strong melody and good vocals I think. I'm glad you replaced the chorus/flanger intro guitar, sounds much better the way it is - it sounds a bit naked on the intro currently, but maybe retracking and fattening up will resolve that. If not, you could maybe have either some bass or a kick on the first beat of the bar or something to make it less so?

Rest of the guitars sit in the mix well and sound really good. New drums are much better too - if perhaps a bit shiny and/or wet? I don't know if you can dial the reverb back and maybe add a little saturation to roughen up that EZ drummer cleanliness.

I'll keep listening back to future updates, but sounding good.

I like the overall sound. My only comment is it feels like the mix pushes to the right. That could be just me as I am coming off of a cold.

Hey MrClean, each update's stronger than the one before it so I think you're making good progress :thumbs up:

Strong melody and good vocals I think. I'm glad you replaced the chorus/flanger intro guitar, sounds much better the way it is - it sounds a bit naked on the intro currently, but maybe retracking and fattening up will resolve that. If not, you could maybe have either some bass or a kick on the first beat of the bar or something to make it less so?

Rest of the guitars sit in the mix well and sound really good. New drums are much better too - if perhaps a bit shiny and/or wet? I don't know if you can dial the reverb back and maybe add a little saturation to roughen up that EZ drummer cleanliness.

I'll keep listening back to future updates, but sounding good.

Cheers Rob. I know what you mean about the intro. I've been trying out a few things to make it stand out more. As it wasn't there originally it's a bit new and knowing what to do with it is a bit hit n' miss. I'd like a 12 string to play it on as that is the sound I can hear in my head. Maybe a bit of Tambourine, Maracas or something behind it with help.

I'll definitely be dirtying the drums up. As much as it sounds better with the brighter kit, they are a bit "clean" for want of a better word. Running the through Vintage Warmer with a Heavy Tape Saturation sounds pretty good. I may use that or something akin to it.

Thanks again for listening and commenting. Appreciate it. :thumbs up:

I like the overall sound. My only comment is it feels like the mix pushes to the right. That could be just me as I am coming off of a cold.

Cheers Dave. Interesting you should say that as there is hardly any panning on this at all. I usually keep things as close to the middle (mono) as possible because I'm deaf and can't hear stereo. Only the Toms and 2 Electric Rhythm's are panned. I'll have a look at it though, just to check.

Cheers Buddy :thumbs up:

I listened to the March 11 mix. I liked the song. I liked the guitar playing and bass playing. A really neat bass part.

I think the bass is pretty boomy though. Some low frequency is pretty strong - like maybe around 100hz-120hz.

The guitar riff is cool. The tone is a bit "sharp" - as in a little too much high midrange. Like 2400hz-ish.

Kick and snare are a little loud.

I could go for a little more clarity in the lead vocal. A little cloudiness in it. Caught a small pitch problem or two on some of the falsetto notes.

I think this sounds really nice. All the tones are pleasing to listen to. The drums fit better than the first mix I listened to.

I am glad the bass player decided to step out a little and play something complimentary to the guitar lines.

The end of the song has "baby that's untrue yeah" sung in sort of a round or call/response way. I think the guitar lines there at the end are strong enough on their own without it. There's a Pretenders like steadyness to the guitars I really like.

I listened to the March 11 mix. I liked the song. I liked the guitar playing and bass playing. A really neat bass part.

I think the bass is pretty boomy though. Some low frequency is pretty strong - like maybe around 100hz-120hz.

The guitar riff is cool. The tone is a bit "sharp" - as in a little too much high midrange. Like 2400hz-ish.

Kick and snare are a little loud.

I could go for a little more clarity in the lead vocal. A little cloudiness in it. Caught a small pitch problem or two on some of the falsetto notes.

Cheers Trip. I nice rundown of things that I like and expect from your good self. I will have a look at those bits. The bass and guitars are still the scratch tracks so I'll be re-tracking them.

I'm quite proud of the bassline. Just need to tidy it all up in a few places now. :thumbs up:

I think this sounds really nice. All the tones are pleasing to listen to. The drums fit better than the first mix I listened to.

I am glad the bass player decided to step out a little and play something complimentary to the guitar lines.

The end of the song has "baby that's untrue yeah" sung in sort of a round or call/response way. I think the guitar lines there at the end are strong enough on their own without it. There's a Pretenders like steadyness to the guitars I really like.

Thanks SC.

As above, I'm quite proud of and pleased with the bassline. I wanted to something to drive the song along as the original style of the song was more morose and depressing really. I gave it a kick up the arse with the drums, bass and guitars. Contrasting happy music with quite downbeat lyrics. I think it works well.

I've never been quite sure about the call/response ending. I'll try it without and see how it sounds.

Cheers :thumbs up:

Back