So Untrue

Mr Clean

AKA Teddy Wong
Been a while since I posted anything so I'll chuck this one up.

I've been recording with an old friend over the past few months, on and off when time allows and we can actually get together. This is the latest tune I'm working on. He sent me a rough demo from his phone and I built the track around it. I basically have a blank canvas with his songs to do what I like. I recorded the an acoustic scratch track yesterday and got him to sing a vocal over the top to have something to work with.

Anyway, I'm still working on it. This is a quick rough mix of the ideas I had for it. Not sure on the guitar tones and these are just rough parts I threw together today for the track. With it being the same all the way through, I want to keep that but add a few drop outs, etc to give it a bit of depth, so to speak. I like the bass.

Here's his original Demo - [MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/So%20Untrue%20Demo.mp3[/MP3] - MP3 Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Here's the current version I'm working on -

March 11th Mix
[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/So%20Untrue%2011Mar2015.mp3[/MP3] - MP3 Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Older Mixes.

Mar 11 Mix

Original Rough Mix

Thoughts, comment, abuse, all welcomed. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
The version you're working on is a major improvement on the demo. Pretty good. Only thing that pops up is the snare is kinda loud, but once the singing kicks in it's not as bad.

I love what you did with the demo and turned it into a full production, I like both, the song was good to start with, I agree with phil, the snare isn't quite right, for me it's not too loud, it's just got too much low mids/lows, it almost sounds too 'big' if you know what I mean, but overall good job man.

Cheers lads. That's a very positive start if only the snare sound a bit off.

I appreciate the listens and comments. :thumbs up:

Yeah the snare sound has been an issue since I started this song. Got a few new EZDrummer expansions and still getting used to the whole EZD2 vsti. I've change the snare slightly. Tuned it up a touch so it's a bit brighter and brought the volume down.

I'm not too fussed on the vocals for now as they will be replaced anyway. They're just a guide but I brought them down a touch too.

Cheers :thumbs up:

Overall not bad at all, what I noticed is the the acoustic guitar part does not fill the sound up when the electric rhythm isn't playing, so the overall volume seems to be going up and down (not really, it just sounds fuller when the electric is 'on').

Hi Mr. C.

That's pretty cool to hear the starting point like that and then a more fleshed out version. You don't often get to hear what are essentially the scratch tracks in here. I was listening to the demo and thought it was a pretty accomplished sounding singer/songwriter sort of piece, very much in your style wouldn't you agree? I think your friend sings well too. Anyway, I was having a hard time imagining it with full instrumentation, but you did it. It is transformed into an upbeat, tight number in ways that I didn't expect.

I'm not crazy about the intro electric guitar tone (chorus? flanger?) and would dial it back a bit if it were me or maybe go with a different effect there, but that's just me. I thought that sound worked better later on when it was doubled at times or joined by another guitar playing a similar riff? I liked the grittier electric guitar tones that came and went throughout though. I like the beat you made to go along with this. I think it works perfectly. I think the kit could maybe be a little more present with more of a light crack to the snare for something like this? The drum tones you have now struck me as more suitable for a slower, darker song maybe?

Not sure...just some thoughts. Glad you put this up. I was wondering when we'd hear something from you again. :)

Overall not bad at all, what I noticed is the the acoustic guitar part does not fill the sound up when the electric rhythm isn't playing, so the overall volume seems to be going up and down (not really, it just sounds fuller when the electric is 'on').

Cheers mjb. I know exactly what you mean about it sounding like it goes up and down. I will iron this out when I get back to working on it.

:thumbs up:

Hi Mr. C.

That's pretty cool to hear the starting point like that and then a more fleshed out version. You don't often get to hear what are essentially the scratch tracks in here. I was listening to the demo and thought it was a pretty accomplished sounding singer/songwriter sort of piece, very much in your style wouldn't you agree? I think your friend sings well too. Anyway, I was having a hard time imagining it with full instrumentation, but you did it. It is transformed into an upbeat, tight number in ways that I didn't expect.

I'm not crazy about the intro electric guitar tone (chorus? flanger?) and would dial it back a bit if it were me or maybe go with a different effect there, but that's just me. I thought that sound worked better later on when it was doubled at times or joined by another guitar playing a similar riff? I liked the grittier electric guitar tones that came and went throughout though. I like the beat you made to go along with this. I think it works perfectly. I think the kit could maybe be a little more present with more of a light crack to the snare for something like this? The drum tones you have now struck me as more suitable for a slower, darker song maybe?

Not sure...just some thoughts. Glad you put this up. I was wondering when we'd hear something from you again. :)

Cheers heat, that's a great review.

Yeah, my mate Tim is very much much in the same mindset with songwriting and style as myself. One of the reasons we get along so well is our influences and taste. He's a good lad, been in bands from the late 70's to early 90's before married life took him off the road. now he just wants some good recordings of his songs and the new ones that he writes. This one is a new one. Not bad for a 56 yr old.

I totally, I'm not big on the guitar tones too much. I need to work them out. The hardest part for me is electric guitar tone as I'm just not that kind of guitarist. I can fingerpick and strum an acoustic all day long and record good sounds but I struggle with electric, as it's all new to me. (This is good practice and I have the lend of his Fender Strat, Tele and Rickenbacker at my disposal) The flanger sound is kind of like what I hear but not quite there. I just used it as a basis to get the rough ideas down. I imagine it will all sound pretty different when I'm finished.

I'll probably keep the drum beat as is and try a different kit. This is an old Blues kit or something, Slingerland model I think, it is quite deep. It was the first one I came too. It worked for tracking but I think a more modern sound kit would be better.

Thanks for the detailed analysis. :thumbs up:

Wow, the vocals are very Pete Townshend sounding. I like Pete's voice.

My only comment would be vocals are pretty high. Pull those back I think the mix is pretty decent. I didn't hear the bad snare.

Wow, the vocals are very Pete Townshend sounding. I like Pete's voice.

My only comment would be vocals are pretty high. Pull those back I think the mix is pretty decent. I didn't hear the bad snare.

Cheers Dave.

Funny you should say that, when we recorded the vocals I said he sounded like a cross between Pete Townsend and Paul Weller.

I've changed the snare slightly since the first mix mate, tuned it up a touch and gave it more top end. It's better than it was.

:thumbs up:

After a few days away from this track I've had a tinker with the mix and changed a few things. I've yet to add a bit more guitar work, maracas, and harmonies but it's getting there, I think?

Latest mix in the original post.

Last edited:
Hey Clean!
Sorry I'm late to the party man.

I'm listening to the original demo first. It gets the song across and that's the main thing. Sounds OK. :)
This is about what I expect to get from Pete - I work this way, as you know.

I really like what you're going for from the outset.
The snare drum is taking my attention. It sounds a bit flat and dull to me. Kick isn't thumping home either.
Maybe the drums as a whole need a look?

Vocals are placed well and sound very clear. They might be a touch thick but your guitars aren't overpowering so it might be fine.

The kit is the big thing I'd look at here.
Hope that's useful.

Edit. Going to listen to your update now. 15:01.
It's got a bit more energy overall to me. I like the idea of harmonies. Hit me up if you need a hand with those. :)

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

I think I may change the drum kit altogether. I stuck with this one as i've used it on all the other tracks I'm working for him and wanted to keep it sounding the same throughout but it is a "darker" kit and with this song being a bit more "poppy", it will probably benefit from a more modern sounding kit.

Cheers :thumbs up;

9th mix
I'd like to hear the demo version start the track and run for the 1st verse or so before the "band" comes in.
I like the arrangement and mix.
It's a fun sounding song half reminded me of The Las for some reason or other.
Not fussed on the dong dong dong note under the vocal after the solo.
Cool stuff so far.

I like the new mix / arrangement.

I'd still like to hear a brighter kit I think and maybe even take a little lows out of the lead vocal? Harmonies would be cool... :)

Personally, I liked the dong dong dong note. So there, ray!

I'd like to hear the demo version start the track and run for the 1st verse or so before the "band" comes in.

That was my original intention with the song actually but with it being so short, especially without the intro, I opted for the current arrangement. I may try that though and see how it turns out.

I like the arrangement and mix.
It's a fun sounding song half reminded me of The Las for some reason or other.
Not fussed on the dong dong dong note under the vocal after the solo.
Cool stuff so far.

Thanks mate, appreciate the time and feedback. :thumbs up:

I like the new mix / arrangement.

I'd still like to hear a brighter kit I think and maybe even take a little lows out of the lead vocal? Harmonies would be cool... :)

Personally, I liked the dong dong dong note. So there, ray!

Thanks for coming back to this heat. Tomorrow I'll back to working on this and adding harmonies, guitar, etc. I'll have a play around with the drums and see what it's like with a brighter kit dropped in there.

Cheers buddy :thumbs up:

For those that may be interested.....

After some toying around with the drums I changed the kit completely on this today. The brighter kit has opened up the dynamics of the track, IMO. I'm pleased with the result. The bass really shines through now and doesn't sound so muddy. It's still in rough mix territory at the minute but I'm getting there, I think.

March 11th Mix
[MP3]http://www.themrclean.co.uk/mp3/So Untrue 11Mar2015.mp3[/MP3]

Yup, this kit just sounds so much more appropriate for this to my ears. Good choice. The cool bass part is definitely more distinct as a result too.

Back