So I was just jamming on my acoustic and recorded it...

FoulPhil

Forgive my shitty playing, but I was just kicking back. I was trying to record some stuff, but I just couldn't get in a groove with the metronome. So, I just started jamming and recorded it. How the guitar sound?

I thought the playing and guitar sounded very good but I couldn't hear the metronome at all. You should try running the metronome through a phase shifted ping pong long ass delay analog tape loop modeling plug in with the repetitions cranked and then you can forget about trying to groove with it because it will be all over the place. YMMV.

Awesome, Foul. You play well. I really like that. Guitar sounds nice, too.

I thought the vocals were a little warbly, though. :D

I thought the guitar sounded very good. Very clear. Maybe a tad bright. Maybe not. :) It's not too dull. Nice playing.

Liked the "dammit" in the middle.

I thought the guitar sound was good. There were some good chops in there too.
What is the make/model of the guitar and what is your micing technique?
Also, what mic did you use?

I thought the playing and guitar sounded very good but I couldn't hear the metronome at all. You should try running the metronome through a phase shifted ping pong long ass delay analog tape loop modeling plug in with the repetitions cranked and then you can forget about trying to groove with it because it will be all over the place. YMMV.

Yeah the metronom was built into my DAW. So you don't hear it. I was playing/recording with headphones on lol.

Awesome, Foul. You play well. I really like that. Guitar sounds nice, too.

I thought the vocals were a little warbly, though. :D

Thanks lol...

I thought the guitar sounded very good. Very clear. Maybe a tad bright. Maybe not. :) It's not too dull. Nice playing.

Liked the "dammit" in the middle.

I think it naturally has a very thick low end, but also bright as hell. I didn't use any EQ. Only compression and volume booster.

The guitar sounds great. I like the crispness of the sound

I thought the guitar sound was good. There were some good chops in there too.
What is the make/model of the guitar and what is your micing technique?
Also, what mic did you use?

TY! The guitar is a guild D127 you can see some pics here.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...ecently-got-have-you-heard-power-pins-378530/

To record it, I moved my couch sort of facing my computer so I could reach the mouse to click record real easy etc. I make sure I'm real comfortable and then I fiddle around with the mic until it looks like it's pointing to the 12th fret area. I don't spend too much time on it.

The mic I used is a AKG C1000S. It's the only pencil mic I have and I've tried using some of my other mics, but it ends up with way too much low end. Once you add drums and bass etc. it ends up needing to be EQed which I'm trying to avoid as much as possible.

:guitar:

Guild!
I love guild guitars man. My acoustic is a DV52, from the turn of the century, and I absolutely love it.

I'd scoop some low mids a bit. There's just a t-o-u-c-h of boxiness in there maybe. But it's a delicious sound you're getting out of it. How'd you mic it?

Guild!
I love guild guitars man. My acoustic is a DV52, from the turn of the century, and I absolutely love it.

That's much nicer than mine :D

I'd scoop some low mids a bit. There's just a t-o-u-c-h of boxiness in there maybe. But it's a delicious sound you're getting out of it. How'd you mic it?

Hey thanks man.
To record it, I moved my couch sort of facing my computer so I could reach the mouse to click record real easy etc. I make sure I'm real comfortable and then I fiddle around with the mic until it looks like it's pointing to the 12th fret area. I don't spend too much time on it.

The mic I used is a AKG C1000S. It's the only pencil mic I have and I've tried using some of my other mics, but it ends up with way too much low end. Once you add drums and bass etc. it ends up needing to be EQed which I'm trying to avoid as much as possible.

Guild!

It's funny how "from the turn of the century" 15 years ago meant a lot more than it does now...nice guitar, though, none-the-less. :)

Phil: that's some amazing playing! If I could get my guitar to sound like that, it still wouldn't because I'm a deuce and have no pick technique...:(

It's funny how "from the turn of the century" 15 years ago meant a lot more than it does now...nice guitar, though, none-the-less. :)

Phil: that's some amazing playing! If I could get my guitar to sound like that, it still wouldn't because I'm a deuce and have no pick technique...:(

That's funny because I was just complaining to my old lady this morning how much I suck while I was practicing and screwing up over and over again lol... I was telling her I needed to practice 8 hours a day for the next 2 years... And she gave me a dirty look :p

Well, I AM a bassist/keyboardist, so I don't feel bad about being a lousy guitarist...but I'd like a little more practice time as well. Oh, and I play drums at church, so there's that, too. :)

Well, I AM a bassist/keyboardist, so I don't feel bad about being a lousy guitarist...but I'd like a little more practice time as well. Oh, and I play drums at church, so there's that, too. :)

If I played too many instruments I don't think I would be very good at any one of them. I just focus on guitar picking.

I also recently got EZ dummer 2 and it's solved all my metronome issues (today). They made it real easy to find the right drum beats for you music. You can actually click on the drum kits with you mouse and try to play the beat you hear in your head. And it'll bring up all the matches it can find. That makes it super easy to find those odd temo changes and or perfect drum beat. Perfect for keeping the time. It takes too much work making a usable drum beat for my tastes. I doubt I'll use it on my acoustic guitar stuff for anything other than keeping the time. I have a friend who plays drums and has a decent recording set up. So, I'll probably record the guitar using EZ drummer and send him a MP3 to jam along with and then he can send me the raw drum files. I really HOPE it ends up working out for me.

Dear Mr Phil

"To record it, I moved my couch sort of facing my computer so I could reach the mouse to click record real easy etc. I make sure I'm real comfortable and then I fiddle around with the mic until it looks like it's pointing to the 12th fret area. I don't spend too much time on it.

The mic I used is a AKG C1000S. It's the only pencil mic I have and I've tried using some of my other mics, but it ends up with way too much low end. Once you add drums and bass etc. it ends up needing to be EQed which I'm trying to avoid as much as possible."

If you're getting a sound that good with one mic, imagine what you might get with two. How about this idea: get a LDC and put one of the mics on the 12th fret and the other one on the bridge, both of them about 9" out. Pan to taste in the mix.

That is very nice! Are you using finger picks?

Nope, I been using a pic for many years called "Big Stubby" by Dunlop. 3.0 MM thickness. I have been looking for something better because it's got this annoying dip in the centers of the pic, but haven't found it yet.

Dear Mr Phil

"To record it, I moved my couch sort of facing my computer so I could reach the mouse to click record real easy etc. I make sure I'm real comfortable and then I fiddle around with the mic until it looks like it's pointing to the 12th fret area. I don't spend too much time on it.

The mic I used is a AKG C1000S. It's the only pencil mic I have and I've tried using some of my other mics, but it ends up with way too much low end. Once you add drums and bass etc. it ends up needing to be EQed which I'm trying to avoid as much as possible."

If you're getting a sound that good with one mic, imagine what you might get with two. How about this idea: get a LDC and put one of the mics on the 12th fret and the other one on the bridge, both of them about 9" out. Pan to taste in the mix.

I have done that and recorded in stereo, but the thing is that I end up with so much low end and other weird muddiness that once you add drums, vocals, and bass guitar it's just too much EQing. I did make a quick comparison for you to see what I mean. And you'll notice how much better the single mic sounds. I doubt I will have to do much EQing to get it to sound good with everything. In my opinion I think it's close to perfect and I don't want to fuck it up by making it anymore complex and frustrating than it has to be. I love that crisp, clear sound with plenty of attack and growl if you will :D

The second half sound more natural if you were going to record guitar/voice, but the first half would def be easier to mix.

The second half sound more natural if you were going to record guitar/voice, but the first half would def be easier to mix.

The first half is in Stereo, which I didn't like the sound of. And the 2nd half is the single pencil mic, which I really love the clarity of. And it's also easier to just kick back and jam with out making too much fuss.

Back