Snake in the grass-new tune

Good one ... Overall I like the mix - the vocals are nice and out front and the leads go there too when it's their turn.

Thanks so much for the listen and the comment, Gerry. I'm hoping to redo the vocals and the rhythm guitar, most likely the Les Paul solo as well-I just think the tones could be better. The Melody Maker has such a cool tone that I will probably keep that intro solo-it has a single P-90 in the bridge but has such a Killer tone!
I'm trying to use more keyboard part and mix them in with the guitars instead of layering tons of guitar tracks.

Ok, getting to check this out now. It sounds kind of familiar to me...have you done other versions of this tune in the past? Maybe it's just the familiarity of your style coming back to me...the melodies and stuff...

I liked the rhythm guitar tone and playing myself. I'd keep it.

For me, the drums were the weak link. Are they coming from that keyboard? They just kind of sound like keyboard-generated drums. The reverb on them is a little harsh maybe? It's placing the whole kit in a different era than the other tracks and it's making the cymbals a little abrasive for me.

I also felt like the bass guitar was was a little rumbly and could be better defined. Good performance though and a nice mix for what you describe as rough takes. Thanks!

Ok, getting to check this out now. It sounds kind of familiar to me...have you done other versions of this tune in the past? Maybe it's just the familiarity of your style coming back to me...the melodies and stuff...

For me, the drums were the weak link. Are they coming from that keyboard? They just kind of sound like keyboard-generated drums. The reverb on them is a little harsh maybe? It's placing the whole kit in a different era than the other tracks and it's making the cymbals a little abrasive for me.

I also felt like the bass guitar was was a little rumbly and could be better defined. Good performance though and a nice mix for what you describe as rough takes. Thanks!

I agree with everything heatmiser just said.

I'd also add that it's all too centered to me. Everything is jammed in the middle. I'd like more stereo spread from the instrument tracks.

I agree with the other comments.

I'll add a couple.

To my ear, there is way too much reverb on the distorted guitar. I'd keep the reverb to a level where it's barely noticeable. I also thought there wasn't quite enough crunch to it.

Double tracked vocals would sound cool on a song like this. Harmonies in the chorus would be cool.

The drums sound too 80's to me. Especially the snare sound.

Adding to what Greg said about the narrowness. Could you double track the crunchy guitar and pan the tracks wide?

Nice overall tone, vocal is too loud and is out of tune alot of the time. It would be nice to hear more stereo spread as everything is stuffed in the center of the mix.

I have done early versions of this song but I've never posted them on Home Recording-I guess its my song style. The drums were a Yamaha machine, I forgot to add that to the list-I was using the on-board effects on the 8 track.
Thanks for the reply heatmiser!

I agree with everything heatmiser just said.

I'd also add that it's all too centered to me. Everything is jammed in the middle. I'd like more stereo spread from the instrument tracks.

I am planning to transfer all of these tracks to my computer soon and use Cool Edit to give the tracks individual effects and panning-thanks Greg

I agree with the other comments.

I'll add a couple.

To my ear, there is way too much reverb on the distorted guitar. I'd keep the reverb to a level where it's barely noticeable. I also thought there wasn't quite enough crunch to it.

Double tracked vocals would sound cool on a song like this. Harmonies in the chorus would be cool.

The drums sound too 80's to me. Especially the snare sound.

Adding to what Greg said about the narrowness. Could you double track the crunchy guitar and pan the tracks wide?

Nice overall tone, vocal is too loud and is out of tune alot of the time. It would be nice to hear more stereo spread as everything is stuffed in the center of the mix.

TripleM and Ram6Speed, once I transfer the tracks I can do a lot more in editing and I am planning to re-do the vocals-(I forgot to add the alcohol when I tracked the vocals!):drunk:

Sorry it took a while to reply-I've been doing job interviews and time has been limited.

Thanks to the both of you.

The rythm guitar sounds like it is coming out from a distance. It ends up sounding a bit muddy and not too tight.

The vocals are mixed ok, but the performance is a little bit sloppy adding to the songs lack of tightness.

With that said, sounds like you have a cool ZZ Top-ish song going. :)

The rythm guitar sounds like it is coming out from a distance. It ends up sounding a bit muddy and not too tight.

The vocals are mixed ok, but the performance is a little bit sloppy adding to the songs lack of tightness.

With that said, sounds like you have a cool ZZ Top-ish song going. :)

Thank you knugen, I think another rhythm guitar would help with some fullness-probably my Strat or Tele-and re-do the vocals.
I'm a big fan of blues and ZZ Top, glad that you find my song similar to them!

Back