Small Stuff 2

paulisher

I'm posting this again as a new thread so as not to confuse the two mixes. I had a phase problem that robbed low end from the drums and bass and thanks to Dobro, Gecko and especially Rami I got busy working on the problem. I may have gone a bit overboard on the kick among other things so I'd like to get people's take on the mix. Those of you that have heard this before you should hear a difference in just a few bars. Thank you Rami for your fine drum track!

https://soundcloud.com/auleard/small-stuff-2-mp3

I like it a lot ! Very nicely done. Everything sounds right. The drum track sounds great, i like the snare and cymbals. The kick didn't sound overboard for my taste. Guitars sound great as well. If i had to pick at anything, the back vox on the oohs and ahhs had me waiting to hear maybe another lower harmony part or two. But it works the way it is too. Nice job !

Thanks Chambie. Yea a denser harmony on the back vox could be nice but I think I'm done adding tracks to this. Thanks for your input.

I usually stay out of threads that I collab'd on because it seems self-serving or something.

But I just want to say that this sounds way better than the first time you put this up. There's something about the snare I'm not crazy about, but it's still good. You didn't flip the phase or nudge the snare track, did you? You shouldn't have if you did, I had everything lined up and in phase already. I'm just saying that in case. Sounds great, though. Love the silky musical breaks in this. The guitar parts sound like honey.

Thanks Bruthish I appreciate the vote of confidence. Rami thanks again and yes I messed with your snare and kick. When I put this up the first time I was getting comments about the thin drum and bass sound. At that point I had only listened to your drum tracks through my Daw which had the phase problem so I thought that's how the drums sounded. At that point I added eq and a compressor to the snare to fatten it up but I don't think I turned those plugins off with this mix. I used your wet drum mix on this but added a little more kick and snare. Thanks for telling me about the snare I go in and turn that s#!t off.

AHA! I knew you did something. :D

While I'm posting, I also want to say that I should have taken more time listening to the tune before doing the track. Now that I "understand" the song better, I could have put a little more in it. I might have kept it too simple, especially as the song progressed. I'll do a better job for you next time, I promise. :)

Well, you already know what I always say about your snare, RAMI. I like them like I like my wo- ...chocolate bars: fat and dark.
I'm going to have to learn to appreciate a more subtle snare sound.
I did like it during the interlude around 3:53

Everybody did their parts nicely. Good mix.

The snare: this track's country, and country stuff is okay with a kinda small, clicky kit. This one's in the country raunch quadrant, though, and the kit's got more balls. It fits just right.

Yeah, this mix is way better than the first.

And it's still a great track. :)

Shit man, this is good. I have nothing to say on the mix, it's a lot better than I could have done. Just wanted to say nice work.

Rami's drums - shouldda known, that hi-hat's way over on the right. :) I find the mix a little dry - not the drums, but the vocals and guitar (except around 5:00 the vocal and lead guitar seem to get more reverby).

Thank you all for listening and for your help with this. We all are going to mix our projects according to our own tastes. Like how fat we think the snare should be, how much reverb to use and where the instruments are planned. After putting a couple plugins on the share it did get fatter but after another listen I think it became somewhat less organic sounding. Rami takes great care in recording and mixing his drums so his view on the drum sound holds a lot of weight with me. Mike B, about the amount of reverb. Again this is personal preference. What comes to mind is a Phil Collins or a Steely Dan mind set for reverb. I guess I'm a dry guy.

Rami about your comment about your performance on this, it was great and I'm very happy with the result. I get it though. I'm often my own worst critic and most everything I do could be better.

That's what I want to hear. :thumbs up:

The biggest problem to solve is percussion. Solve that, and you're in a position to do it right.

I must be the only one who is still uncomfortable with this mix. Actually the mix itself is fine. Everything is good about this track. But what's bugging me is the sound of the bass. It has this wooden farty sound about it, which is great at the start, but at some point my brain is wanting to hear it kick in real low, about an octave below what's currently being played, and drive the bottom end along with the kick. Or where it's being played now with the bottom end put in.

Hey Gecko I appreciate your feedback. It sounds like we just have different opinions on bass eq. I could have gotten a much fatter bass sound with tone and pickup selection alone when I recorded the track. To me, if I bump the lower frequencies of the bass too much then everything else starts to sound thinner. It's all a matter of taste, maybe you like chocolate and I like vanilla. Thanks again for your posts. You helped me to get the drums figured out.

Back