"Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" cover (without vocals)

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
Did another cover without any vocals.
Disregard both guitar solos. I have them both updated but on a computer in a different country.

Will there be vocals?
Awful lot of reverb on the main rhythm guitar part. One of the guitar parts (doing finger picked? chords very low) is muddy, I think a combo of the low notes and a treble-free sound setting.
I found the cymbal crash at 1:01 strange as it seemed to be 100% panned.

Its a good start. I can almost hear the melody.

Seems like a guitar player mixed this song. I am not hearing hihats or ride or whatever is a beat driver, nor much of a kick. The crash cymbals are out of place as MJB noted. The ending was abrupt.

The crash sounds like EZDrummer to me. If so, lower the hit with velocity and not volume. It might fit in the mix better.

It's got a good vibe and I can see the song being really good with the right vocal delivery. Looking forward to the rest of it.

I'm definitely having some problems with the hi-hat.
In the original, it is very silent and unintrusive. I might have turned it down just a bit too far.

Thank you for the listen.

One of my favorite tunes...has a lot of emotion built into it. You are so close on nailing it, but agree with above it does sound a little muddy overall.

Schwarzenyaeger - you use the word "silent" a lot when a better word would be "quiet". "Silent" means completely inaudible; "quiet" means less audible than you would like.

Fröhliche weihnachten. :D

Schwarzenyaeger - you use the word "silent" a lot when a better word would be "quiet". "Silent" means completely inaudible; "quiet" means less audible than you would like.

Fröhliche weihnachten. :D
Danke, dir auch!
What if I added "rather" in front of it :P ?

One of my favorite tunes...has a lot of emotion built into it. You are so close on nailing it, but agree with above it does sound a little muddy overall.
Thank you! I've been thinking of re-amping it. There is a nice Fender combo standing around at a friend's that might produce some nice, warm guitar tones. These are all from the Eleven Rig plug-in that comes with Pro Tools, which features two sounds: clean and fzzzsshhshshs.

Otherwise, I haven't been very succesful with getting a good bass tone. The signal is very low (DI with an amp sim) and I have to not only boost the channel to +12dbFs but also raise the clip volume by a few dB just to make it audible. A bassist friend of mine recommended I smash my bass with compression when finger picking to make it more consistent. Thoughts?

Agreed on the compression on the bass. I smash mine also. BUT, I do try to get very consistent tones when using fingers. Takes practice, of course.

I wonder why your tracking volum is so low on the bass. How does it compare to your tracks recorded from microphones? What type of amp sim are you using?

I first went DI into PT, then I used one of the amp sims in Pod Farm but they didn't really do much besides change the tone a bit, even with the master volume and gain cranked.
I have never recorded a bass with a microphone. I'm gonna try and re-amp it through a neat Ashdown a friend has. That and the guitar. Thank god for friend's equipment...

The main rhythm guitar's reverb is too wet and the lead guitar's fader needs pulled down some. In my opinion, the bass tone and presence as it currently stands works well for this. However, by shortening the initial attack some and lengthening the release some from what your current settings are on the bass (not a whole lot though) I think would make the bass a little more prominent, which it could iuse.

Just curious, where did you cut low frequencies with your guitars?

Just my two cents, sounds good though man - nice playing.

TheLurker

Everything below around 85hZ at 12db/oct and occasionally there was some automation that went up to 200hZ when the combination of the low E and the bass became much too boomy

Back