Skynyrd tune done in a different style

jimistone

long standing member
This is an old Lynyrd Skynurd tune "Made in the shade" off their "Nuthin' Fancy" album. I always thought it would make a great straight ahead blues song....
So, I did it that way. I realize it still needs to be tightened up but this is a first quick mix just to see if it's translating on the different systems you guys have out there.

Also, I'm interested in input on the song done in this style and if you guys think it works.

This is the first vocal I have done with my Studio Projects C1 mic since I modded it.
Thanks!

The Shade T1 by jimistone - Listen to music

new mix
made in the shade by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Nice work jimi! Translates well on my system.

I'm going to have to go back and listen to the original from Skynyrd, cause I really can't place it in my head, but as a "straight ahead" blues, this works well!

I quit smoking cigarettes about five years ago, but this made me want to light up and fill the room with smoke, cut the lights, and pour a deep glass of whiskey! it's authentic and would sound great with some light bar chatter and glasses clinking in the background.

I'm not sharp enough to offer any mixing advice, your guitar work and vocals are great as usual. You drumming on this?

This mix is radio ready. There is nothing I can see that should be changed. And it's a much better version that the original.

Good job, man.

Hey Jimi, nice job. Your lead guitar verges on being piercing in a few points in the song, which become more wince-inducing when I turn the volume up. You might want to automate to bring the level down at those points. Otherwise, levels are fine. Vocal level is up, where it should be.

The rhythm section needs to get tighter.

Wow, what an impressive cover and it's sounding great! However, I agree with Robus on some of the lead guitar parts getting a bit peircing. Not sure if its the volume but might be some nasty upper mids you can sweep out? The overheads sound REALLY great! What mic's did you use??? I mean like GREAT for this style!

Nice work jimi! Translates well on my system.

I'm going to have to go back and listen to the original from Skynyrd, cause I really can't place it in my head, but as a "straight ahead" blues, this works well!

I quit smoking cigarettes about five years ago, but this made me want to light up and fill the room with smoke, cut the lights, and pour a deep glass of whiskey! it's authentic and would sound great with some light bar chatter and glasses clinking in the background.

I'm not sharp enough to offer any mixing advice, your guitar work and vocals are great as usual. You drumming on this?
Thanks Einstein.
Yes, its me on drums. Thanks foe lending your ear bro!

This mix is radio ready. There is nothing I can see that should be changed. And it's a much better version that the original.

Good job, man.
Thanks Chili.
I thought it sounded pretty good too. I haven't done much at all to the tracks....just a bit of verb and a little eq. I tried to get everything sounding good BEFORE hitting record this time.

Hey Jimi, nice job. Your lead guitar verges on being piercing in a few points in the song, which become more wince-inducing when I turn the volume up. You might want to automate to bring the level down at those points. Otherwise, levels are fine. Vocal level is up, where it should be.

The rhythm section needs to get tighter.
Thanks Robus. Yeah, I haven't automated anything yet. I agree
It needs tightening up. I think, for the most part, the bass and drums are pretty solid. I kept trying to rush the tempo on lead and rhythm guitar. The intro is a good example. The lead is out of time because I'm trying to rush the beat. That makes it sound like the drums and bass are dragging. I'm gonna work on it.
Thanks for the critique!

Wow, what an impressive cover and it's sounding great! However, I agree with Robus on some of the lead guitar parts getting a bit peircing. Not sure if its the volume but might be some nasty upper mids you can sweep out? The overheads sound REALLY great! What mic's did you use??? I mean like GREAT for this style!
Thanks surjer.
I'm gonna play around with the lead guitar track and see. I use a EV re410 hand held condenser mic as a overhead on the left side of the kit and I use a Ev re510 on the right side. No particular reason other than thats the 2 mics i got a deal on, used, at guitar center. I use an old shure sm57 on the snare and some kind of cheap ass kick drum mic. So 4 mics total for drums. I have an isolation room. Its 6 and a half feet by 8 feet...with 7 foot high ceiling...the drums just barely fit in there comfortably. Its made out of pallets with a patio sliding glass door for a window. It's totally lined with carpet, except for the ceiling is cardboard. It doesnt have a door. I took it off so I could have a mic stand outside of the room for my "over the right shoulder overhead.
It's supposed to sound horrible but I get great results with the kit in there!

Last edited:
I haven't heard the original in a while. Although I'm familiar with it and the album, it's not a song burned into my head.
That being said, upon first listen, your tune sounded like a brand new song!

So yeah, it works well as a blues song. Stands on it's own. :thumbs up:

Mix sounds fine.
My only nits are with the playing. Usually you negotiate your way around a strat incredibly well. Here you seemed a bit sloppy, and at times riffing seemed to go on a bit long.

So in conclusion, arranged properly, and tightening up on the playing, and this tune could be killer.

I give it an 8 out of 10
:D

So, I've got to come back around and say, I didn't hear any of the aspects the others are commenting on. Not to say they are not valid... But why didn't I hear them?? I guess I just got so caught up in the song and the performance, nothing stood out to me or caught my attention. Honestly, that's what you want, people to hear the song and not the recording.

To me, that is a job well done. I just wanted to listen and I stopped everything else I was doing and listened and enjoyed it.

I haven't heard the original in a while. Although I'm familiar with it and the album, it's not a song burned into my head.
That being said, upon first listen, your tune sounded like a brand new song!

So yeah, it works well as a blues song. Stands on it's own. :thumbs up:

Mix sounds fine.
My only nits are with the playing. Usually you negotiate your way around a strat incredibly well. Here you seemed a bit sloppy, and at times riffing seemed to go on a bit long.

So in conclusion, arranged properly, and tightening up on the playing, and this tune could be killer.

I give it an 8 out of 10
:D
I agree that the guitar work is a little sloppy. I wanted to kind of get a general consensus of the mix and tone before getting really serious on a guitar part. I mix on old radio shack optimus stereo speakers in an untreated square room. So, to narrow down a mix I have to play it through a few systems to make a good mix judgement. It sucks to painstakingly lay down a guitar performance then realize there is a problem with the tone or it has too much gain.
That being said I appreciate the input from you guys...it helps me more than you could ever know.
Thanks for the listen.

So, I've got to come back around and say, I didn't hear any of the aspects the others are commenting on. Not to say they are not valid... But why didn't I hear them?? I guess I just got so caught up in the song and the performance, nothing stood out to me or caught my attention. Honestly, that's what you want, people to hear the song and not the recording.

To me, that is a job well done. I just wanted to listen and I stopped everything else I was doing and listened and enjoyed it.
That's what we all shoot for...
A recording that captivates the listener. Thanks for the kind words Chili. I value your input a lot!

Things sound very good to me. Levels on things sound excellent.

Drums sound crystal clear. I'd maybe like a little more crack on the snare. It's a little thuddy. Love the kick. Nice thumpin' going on.

Lead guitar sounds awesome.

Bass is just a bit sterile sounding. Not enough woof for my ear.

Things sound very good to me. Levels on things sound excellent.

Drums sound crystal clear. I'd maybe like a little more crack on the snare. It's a little thuddy. Love the kick. Nice thumpin' going on.

Lead guitar sounds awesome.

Bass is just a bit sterile sounding. Not enough woof for my ear.
Thanks for the listen Triple.
How do you get more "woof" in the bass guitar?

Great mix. Nice natural/roomy feel. Love the intro guitar tone. Nice open drum sound that compliments the style well. Low end sounds perfect.
The slow blues style isn't my thing (I like more the delta/fingerpicking style) so it's hard to comment on anything like that, but the mix is great.
Reminds me of Taj Mahal's live albums.

Thanks for the listen Triple.
How do you get more "woof" in the bass guitar?

Oops just saw this now. To me - if you have any EQ cuts in the 400hz - 800hz octave I'd reduce or eliminate them. If you don't you might try a gentle boost in that range. Be careful about adding cloudiness, or mud, or general lack of clarity.

Or don't listen to me. The bass sound is certainly not horrible.

I like this..........a lot !!!!! it's got the vibe and feel to take the listener along with it.

Good Shit !!!

I can't comment on the mix, it's above my paygrade.

Great mix. Nice natural/roomy feel. Love the intro guitar tone. Nice open drum sound that compliments the style well. Low end sounds perfect.
The slow blues style isn't my thing (I like more the delta/fingerpicking style) so it's hard to comment on anything like that, but the mix is great.
Reminds me of Taj Mahal's live albums.

thanks Nola. i appreciate you giving it a listen bro.
Oops just saw this now. To me - if you have any EQ cuts in the 400hz - 800hz octave I'd reduce or eliminate them. If you don't you might try a gentle boost in that range. Be careful about adding cloudiness, or mud, or general lack of clarity.

Or don't listen to me. The bass sound is certainly not horrible.
thanks for the tip M!

I like this..........a lot !!!!! it's got the vibe and feel to take the listener along with it.

Good Shit !!!

I can't comment on the mix, it's above my paygrade.

I appreciate the kind words BCFI.

---------- Update ----------

New mix up.

made in the shade by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I think this is excellent.

The only thing that bugs me is still the bass. Maybe reduce the low end a little bit? It just seems like it's a bit strong. And the bass could still be a little warmer.

But that's a minor thing. I think it sounds excellent.

Back