Skanky Tune... Too much bass/kick? Balanced?

Robertt8

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if someone can give this tune a quick scan to give me quick feedback on these few things...

1. Does the song feel balanced?

2. Is it too bass/kick heavy?

3. Does it feel like it's mastered too loud?

Thanks!
Tait

Attachments

• Stinky Gorilla G-6.mp3
    6.9 MB · Views: 36
Yeah, it's balanced. The bass is okay. The kick isn't too heavy, but it's a bit undefined. It's louder than most stuff - I turned it down.

Mix comment: the 'la la' bvs at 2.17 could easily come up along with the piano.

You know what? The whole mix is kinda dark in some small ways. If this was mine, I'd put an EQ on the master buss and tweak it to make it a bit less dark in some places. Just a wee cut or two at this or that frequency.

I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for cool pop.

nice presence,great air.full! ... very nice recording,well balanced ... it is loooooowwwwdddd,my interface breaks up pretty quickly and on 2nd listen no nasty clipping reared its ugly head ...

it aint my bag genre wise,but i do feel that for this style maybe bring the bass up a tad,not necessarily in volume but where you applied the filter ... it sounds to "rock" if you get my meaning :)

just my opinion,it sounds foooking great as is :D

i fecking love those drums !!! and vocals,well everything !!!

couple of questions ...

what interface/pre`s are you using

where did you add the distortion/warming in the chain or is it real valves im hearing ?

I'm not sure I can find much bad with this in any way.

I would maybe like to hear a bit more 'shimmer' -if that is a word-in the high end, but I really found nothing to pick at.

I would definitely not call it 'dark' though. Nor too loud.

I suppose it could be a bit more hitting with a bit more defined kick drum. But that is really just personal preference.

Well done!

Catchy-beat song. I'd like to hear some high EQ definition on the bass (but that's the sound I prefer) - it's all very 'muffled'.

DOBRO: Thanks for the comments. I’m actually always wrestling my mixes being crazy bright, so I usually have to EQ the crap out of everything to make it darker…more in the realm of the genre we’re kind of lumped in with. It doesn’t mean I reached my goal, but it’s kind of what i’m looking for.

CAKEWALKKAKED: Thanks for listening! Drums are actually all EZ-Drummer. That’s what happens when your drummer decides the drums will magically record themselves. This song was actually recorded mostly by our bass player (his song) through a UA 2-610 and a Mojave 200 into his ProTools. It was later uploaded into my Cubase and run through various plugins.

JIMMYS69: Thanks! Since this is actually EZ-Drummer, I had a more hard hitting kick drum on there and he wanted something softer, so….that’s what I did. Thanks!

MJBPHOTOS: I struggle with the bass. I feel like I always make it too muddy or too damn thin. I can never find the middle ground, but thanks for the 2 cents.

KELVINATOR: Thanks for the ears!

1. Does the song feel balanced?

Yes, maybe slightly boomy (I'm using headphones).

2. Is it too bass/kick heavy?

Crap, should have read this one first. See above! Kick sounds good to me, bass a little heavy (is there like one of those waves/harmonic plugins on it or flatwounds?) The sound is so deep and smooth it sounds like one or the other, or both. Which is a cool sound, but if you're going to do that I'd mix it lower.

3. Does it feel like it's mastered too loud?

Yes. I hate limiters, and this one hurts my ears a bit.

Catchy tune. Reminds me of ska version of Apeman by the Kinks a bit.

The only part that really sticks out to me as a bit weird is the lead vox. It sounds really loud and up-front. I might turn it down a tad. Once that's not overpowering the mix, something else may start to stick out, but the rest of the balance seemed OK.

Pretty cool tune, reminds me of a band I saw at Myrtle Beach last summer...It's just got that vibe to it...

On the loudness thing, I think it's pretty loud compared to most stuff I hear on here, but I think it's pretty close to a commercial song, if that's what you're wondering....

Vocals are pretty tight man, but they might be just a little forward in the mix (lead vocals...)...could just be me...

Good job on the drum programming man, after you mentioned it was EZD2, I can hear it in the intro/beginning, but wouldn't have noticed otherwise...Only thing I could recommend for the "fake drums" are to turn the room mic(s) down in the Toontrack mixer, & use the same reverbs as the vocal/guitar....Not really a nit, but it may help to make the drums sound a little more natural or.....real...:D.

Everything's balanced pretty well, just a couple little nits from me, & that's being pretty picky....good job!!!

Pretty cool tune, reminds me of a band I saw at Myrtle Beach last summer...It's just got that vibe to it...

On the loudness thing, I think it's pretty loud compared to most stuff I hear on here, but I think it's pretty close to a commercial song, if that's what you're wondering....

Vocals are pretty tight man, but they might be just a little forward in the mix (lead vocals...)...could just be me...

Good job on the drum programming man, after you mentioned it was EZD2, I can hear it in the intro/beginning, but wouldn't have noticed otherwise...Only thing I could recommend for the "fake drums" are to turn the room mic(s) down in the Toontrack mixer, & use the same reverbs as the vocal/guitar....Not really a nit, but it may help to make the drums sound a little more natural or.....real...:D.

Everything's balanced pretty well, just a couple little nits from me, & that's being pretty picky....good job!!!

I wonder if that band was us! We're now located in Wilmington NC...about 70 miles north of there.

It's a great song and a great sound.

It's possible to pick out elements that could be different. But they would just be variations on a theme and expressions of personal preference, so just leave it as is.

Last edited:
I wonder if that band was us! We're now located in Wilmington NC...about 70 miles north of there.
Don't think so dude, I had a look at your FB page....The band I was talking about was playing at Barefoot Landing, they were set up outside a little bar/grill (I think it was called Bully's)....Pretty sure it wasn't you guys, but your song reminded me of being there though....:).

Very cool catchy song! I think everything sounded really good, but can see where some are saying the bass needs a little more definition...but I like it the way it is. Good job.

4TRACKER:
Thanks of the listen! I’m not using anything to put more bass into the tracks, but the bass player is using Flatwounds. BTW…Kinks rule!

VOMITHATSTEVE
This might be stupidly specific, but how far down would you put the lead vox?

MINERMAN
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty damn sure I did turn off all EZ-drummer reverb/ambiance. The stock settings have WAY too much reverb on them.

GECKO ZZED
Thanks for the listen Gecko!

BRUTHISH
Thanks for checking it out. We (somehow) get lumped in with many reggae bands, and I our bass player likes it fat and kind of wooly. Otherwise I probably would try and get a little more definition out of it.

Hey,
Nope. Everything sounds well balanced to me. Nothing distracting or M.I.A that I can pick out.
You've managed to get a big sound but everything has shedloads of space around it. I struggle with that.

The only fader I might reach for would be the lead vocal. I think I'd like to hear them pulled back a bit but, who knows, I might end up putting them back.
Actually, as I'm typing that I think I'd want to try one main vocal rather than the double tracking. Anyway...Just thoughts.

Very cool song. Loving the break down after 2:30.

Not what you asked but the vocal rhythm jumps out at me at 0:44 "as your gaze drifts up" (did I get that right?).
Obviously "as your" are two rushed syllables but I don't think that's what caught my ear. I think it's the word "gaze" being slightly behind the beat.
Maybe nudge the phrase slightly? Maybe you don't care! :p

Thanks for sharing. :)

Back