Sitting on the Egde of the World...It doesn't get much cornier than this.

I think the tambourine is fine. I just used one on one of my recordings, they do cut through. Maybe if anything take it down just a hair to put it more in the background, but I thought it was Ok. I listen pretty far back on a full size stereo (floor standing speakers), so I don't hear pan issues as much as others. Kind of a light up tune for you.

I don't think it sounded corny, but I was expecting it to sound more aggressive. On a production note, due to the pace and feel of the song, you could fill in a low volume synthesizer on a nice 45 pan. Give it a more progressive sound. You could, but the song works well as is, just adding comments since I have nothing else to add except two cents of opinions. ;)

Sounds really good.

Shaker? Oh, you mean tamborine? OK.

Hey, you had to not like SOMETHING. I'm glad it's just that. :D

I find most additional percussions besides drums ruin a song. They always happen when a musician is in a studio for too long and goes that extra step too far. :P

Nothing personal.

I find most additional percussions besides drums ruin a song.

So I take it you're not a Santana fan??? :D

I think "ruin a song" is a little broad. Too loud is one thing, ruining the song is a little much. The whole song took me 2 days from conception to mix down anyway, so it's got nothing to do with spending too much time in the studio.

I'm not trying to defend something that comes down to opinion, just trying to explain that I had tamborine in mind for this tune all along.

I do appreciate that you gave your opinion.

Thanx for the listen. :cool:

I think the tambourine is fine. I just used one on one of my recordings, they do cut through. Maybe if anything take it down just a hair to put it more in the background, but I thought it was Ok. I listen pretty far back on a full size stereo (floor standing speakers), so I don't hear pan issues as much as others. Kind of a light up tune for you.

I don't think it sounded corny, but I was expecting it to sound more aggressive. On a production note, due to the pace and feel of the song, you could fill in a low volume synthesizer on a nice 45 pan. Give it a more progressive sound. You could, but the song works well as is, just adding comments since I have nothing else to add except two cents of opinions. ;)

Sounds really good.

Thanx a lot DM. I want it pretty sparse, like a 60's song. I'm not saying this is produced like a 60's song, but I think any kind of synth would bring it too much into modern territory for what I want.

Thanx man. :)

So I take it you're not a Santana fan??? :D

I think "ruin a song" is a little broad. Too loud is one thing, ruining the song is a little much. The whole song took me 2 days from conception to mix down anyway, so it's got nothing to do with spending too much time in the studio.

I'm not trying to defend something that comes down to opinion, just trying to explain that I had tamborine in mind for this tune all along.

I do appreciate that you gave your opinion.

Thanx for the listen. :cool:

Well that's the thing: I've probably got ten favorite songs that have a bunch of additional percussions but I just don't notice them!

Well that's the thing: I've probably got ten favorite songs that have a bunch of additional percussions but I just don't notice them!
Yeah, that's the sign of a good mix for sure. You don't really want anything to pull your ear away from the song as a whole. I might try turning down the tamb and maybe giving it a bunch of reverb.

Thanx brother. :cool:

Sound great Rami! Don't have any nits with this one (much as I'd like to!).

I read Schwarz's comment just as I started listening, so I don't know if the tambourine is distracting, but it certainly sits better in the chorus. Maybe if it didn't have the double hit on the 3rd beat during the verse it would be less noticeable. I dunno. Maybe it's fine.

Good stuff, though. Harmonies are great as usual.

Sound great Rami! Don't have any nits with this one (much as I'd like to!).

I read Schwarz's comment just as I started listening, so I don't know if the tambourine is distracting, but it certainly sits better in the chorus. Maybe if it didn't have the double hit on the 3rd beat during the verse it would be less noticeable. I dunno. Maybe it's fine.

Good stuff, though. Harmonies are great as usual.
Thanx a lot, Johny. :)

Nah, the tamborine's fine. I put it in there on purpose to give some people something to complain about. :laughings:

Just kidding. :D

Cool tune Rami. I loved the chorus--especially the title line. I could smell some non-diatonic chords coming with that line, and the bVI - bVII - I move perfectly fit the bill. My only real nitpick with the arrangement was how the second verse dovetailed the end of the chorus. I felt a little slighted there, as I wanted a second to enjoy the pay off of the chorus. IMHO, you could sustain "world" (and the I chord) there into the next measure and lead back into the second verse with a nice drum fill.

The chordal walk down that happened throughout the tune (B-A-G#m-F#m) was also a little odd because it kept suggesting (to me) that the song was eventually going to lead to E, but it never did. I dunno ... it was odd. It seems as though there may be another chordal turnaround you could use there that wouldn't hint at another key so heavily. As it is, it seems to have its feet in two different worlds -- just because of that chordal walk down, though. The rest of the song is clearly in A.

Anyway, those two things aside, I really dug it. And yes the harmonies in the chorus were awesome. The first two lines (the "middle of nowhere" bit) remind me of a Brad Paisley song called "Find Yourself."

"Sometimes when you lose your way,
it's really just as well
because you find yourself
that's when you find yourself."

I'm not a country fan, but I have a 6-year old son who watched Cars over and over (and over), and that song runs on the credits.

edit: Oh, and tambourines (and auxiliary percussion in general) kick ass.

Cool tune Rami. I loved the chorus--especially the title line. I could smell some non-diatonic chords coming with that line, and the bVI - bVII - I move perfectly fit the bill. My only real nitpick with the arrangement was how the second verse dovetailed the end of the chorus. I felt a little slighted there, as I wanted a second to enjoy the pay off of the chorus. IMHO, you could sustain "world" (and the I chord) there into the next measure and lead back into the second verse with a nice drum fill.

The chordal walk down that happened throughout the tune (B-A-G#m-F#m) was also a little odd because it kept suggesting (to me) that the song was eventually going to lead to E, but it never did. I dunno ... it was odd. It seems as though there may be another chordal turnaround you could use there that wouldn't hint at another key so heavily. As it is, it seems to have its feet in two different worlds -- just because of that chordal walk down, though. The rest of the song is clearly in A.

Anyway, those two things aside, I really dug it. And yes the harmonies in the chorus were awesome. The first two lines (the "middle of nowhere" bit) remind me of a Brad Paisley song called "Find Yourself."

"Sometimes when you lose your way,
it's really just as well
because you find yourself
that's when you find yourself."

I'm not a country fan, but I have a 6-year old son who watched Cars over and over (and over), and that song runs on the credits.

edit: Oh, and tambourines (and auxiliary percussion in general) kick ass.

Great in-depth analysis. I really appreciate that. I see what you're saying about the descending line. I was actually going to continue that descent all the way back down the A, but it would have been too long for an incidental little connecting tag.

As far as when/how the second verse starts, again I hear ya, but I do have a thing for over-lapping. I do it often, so it's sort of part of my writing style to a certain extent. I thought I made up for it later in the song when I repeat the title line 3 times in a row and let it breather each time.

But I totally get everything you're saying. You'd make a great producer/arranger. Not everyone has the talent of listening to someone else's tune and "hearing" things that others wouldn't notice, including the writer himself. I'll keep most of this in mind for the future.

Great in-depth analysis. I really appreciate that. I see what you're saying about the descending line. I was actually going to continue that descent all the way back down the A, but it would have been too long for an incidental little connecting tag.

As far as when/how the second verse starts, again I hear ya, but I do have a thing for over-lapping. I do it often, so it's sort of part of my writing style to a certain extent. I thought I made up for it later in the song when I repeat the title line 3 times in a row and let it breather each time.

But I totally get everything you're saying. You'd make a great producer/arranger. Not everyone has the talent of listening to someone else's tune and "hearing" things that others wouldn't notice, including the writer himself. I'll keep most of this in mind for the future.

Thanks for the kind words.

And you're right about the fact that, later in the song, you do get to hear the title line several times in its entirety. It was just a really cool moment the first time it came around that I wanted to savor it a bit longer. I like the dovetail thing too, and that's cool if it's a part of your style. I think if it were my tune, I would have let it sustain the first time it came around and used the dovetailing trick at the end of the second chorus to go into a bridge maybe. Anyway, just my .02, and all this type of stuff is subjective.

Great work on this one for sure!

I have nothing to add except this new, fresh comment.
To me it sounds like the Kinks and Oasis formed a band then got taken over by Rami.
I dunno, just what it reminds me of.☺

I got a listen in in time :D

All sounds cool to me Rami. I think I made a comment about the piano in a previous tune, but the line on this one fits perfectly throughout. I like the little rushes in the chorus and the way the end of the chorus rolls into the next verse or solo. Good work man, I enjoyed it. Now get on the video :cool:

I have nothing to add except this new, fresh comment.
To me it sounds like the Kinks and Oasis formed a band then got taken over by Rami.
I dunno, just what it reminds me of.☺
hehe...I hate oasis, but I love the Kinks, so it's all good. :D

Thanx R.
I got a listen in in time :D

All sounds cool to me Rami. I think I made a comment about the piano in a previous tune, but the line on this one fits perfectly throughout. I like the little rushes in the chorus and the way the end of the chorus rolls into the next verse or solo. Good work man, I enjoyed it. Now get on the video :cool:
Thanx a lot Rob. I started gathering footage for the video, but then I started writing a new tune, so I kind of lost interest in the video for now. :D

I like the tension between progression expectations and a different choice of resolution (or non resolution).

Wow. VERY different for a Rami tune. Love it though! I can hear so many influences here. The bass doesn't stand out like it usually does in a Rami tune but it works here. I think the collision of the 2 notes at the start of the solo could be done much better by maybe playing that note an octave lower on the bass, just for that one note, but the compressor worked. ;)

I really like Kindafishy's suggestion of a beach video. Think about it. You take your camera to the beach along with a Frisbee. You find the HOTTEST females on the beach and ask them if they'd like to take part in a music video and for that you will give them each copies of the song and video. Then have them toss the Frisbee back and forth while you video them. Then have them frolic in the water while you, uh... shoot... ummm... nevermind... working on an X rating here... :D

Love the tune!!!

Wow. VERY different for a Rami tune. Love it though! I can hear so many influences here. The bass doesn't stand out like it usually does in a Rami tune but it works here. I think the collision of the 2 notes at the start of the solo could be done much better by maybe playing that note an octave lower on the bass, just for that one note, but the compressor worked. ;)

I really like Kindafishy's suggestion of a beach video. Think about it. You take your camera to the beach along with a Frisbee. You find the HOTTEST females on the beach and ask them if they'd like to take part in a music video and for that you will give them each copies of the song and video. Then have them toss the Frisbee back and forth while you video them. Then have them frolic in the water while you, uh... shoot... ummm... nevermind... working on an X rating here... :D

Love the tune!!!
HA! Thanx man. Now I'll be watching beach pron all night because of you. :eek: :D

WOW... This is so good, I think I'll say that again, backwards! ...WOW
Thanx, but if you REALLY liked it, you would have said it upside down. MOM!!!!

Back