Silence - alternative pop rock

andrushkiwt

I wanted to write something with a really basic chord progression and easy vocal melody. With the harmony's and octave guitar solos, it turned out a little more complex than originally anticipated, but the drums keep it pretty straightforward and simple, I think.

Something that does make it sound more complex than it is, in my opinion, is the contrast right from the opening where the root chord is F maj, but the lead guitars are playing Em octaves on top of it. I don't know...I thought it sounded neat. Not really a harmony you'd expect, but it opens the doors to other combinations which I took advantage of in the bridge with the backing vocals and strings.

GNX3000 for guitars (Marshall 900's and Soldano) and for bass (Ampeg through Ashland cab), Superior D 3 for drums (NY Avatar kit with Rock Warehouse cymbals), and my new mic, the SM7B. Monitors: HS8's, phones for references/tracking: HD280

On this tune, I took the foam pieces off the SM7B and just used my pop filter in front. I think it definitely opened the vocal sound up a bit and gave it more air. I was also, admittedly, right on top of it during the verses, but went back about 10" for the choruses. How's the mic sound? Also, how are the ambient pieces, the synths and the like?

Fading hearts and aching hands,
I saw the devil on my last stand.
Cold above and dark below,
the night is calling at my window.

Don't follow me, I'm breaking down,
this heart won't bleed until the words pour out.
Don't tell me why I need you now,
these lungs won't breathe until I hear you shout...

Break the silence, break the silence,
take my mind and waste away with me.
Break the silence, take my mind and
come down, and waste it all with me.

Twisted hearts and lonely hands,
it came unglued as I looked back.
Without a rose I made you home,
but I never knew that I could let go.

I can't feel my own skin -
the water's getting deep,
so why did I jump in?

I think this sounds terrific. Reminded me a bit of A Perfect Circle in the verses, particularly in some of the vocal delivery. You're doing a great job with SD, too.

Vocals are sounding great man! You are really killin it dude!

Gonna again say I am not a fan of the snare 'pop' - without body. It just not doin it right as is.

But again, just my lame opinion.

Love that the SM7b is working for you so well. Knew it would...

...of the snare 'pop' - without body.

Really? hmm. I'll look at it. There's plenty of 200hz in there, overwhelming actually. The EQ spike goes nuts in the lows so I had to raise the top a little to even it out a bit. But there's also a limiter on the snare, and the end of the chain, and I'm wondering if that particular plugin is flattening it in other ways than just gain. It's Superior's limiter pedal and has 3 knobs and no visual cues - sensitivity, attack, release. You can't see how much gain reduction is taking place, however.

I'm definitely going to make a killer snare sound next track, now. That's the second tune in a row someone mentioned the snare holding it back.

Thanks for the listen/comment. :thumbs up:

200Hz is not always a good thing. Right around the bass guitar frequencies that mud shit up.

Just depends on the tune tho. Work with it man. It may just be the snare sample sound you are working with. To me it just sounds the way a canned crappy kick drum sounds. It not bad per say, but it could be way better. And when something doesn't distract from the mix, the rest of the goodness is more apparent.

Again bro, just something I personally heard stand out that my ear caught. I don't usually chime in much on these threads, but I have huge respect for you and feel the need to give a little input because I give a shit. :)

Something about the octave harmony is sticking out. Like you emphasized different phonemes maybe?

A looot of crash going on in the choruses. More than I would opt for

Otherwise, it's a solid mix as usual.

Good mix as always. I agree with Jimmy about the vocals--really good. I agree with Steve about the crash cymbals, but you could have guess that already. The transients on the attack of the lead vocal sound a little out of control here and there--I noticed for example on "Break" in a few places. The snare sounded fine to me. No mud anywhere. Good job.

Very good as usual. Vocals are especially good.

Guitars sound excellent.

I liked the snare myself. The cymbals can get a bit hyped in the high end in spots. A bit much for me.

The bass has some frequency that I would notch out. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 120hz.

Minor things. It's really good.

The bass has some frequency that I would notch out. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 120hz.

At the last minute, I took out a db or so around 100hz...because I realized my room doesn't give off that area around 80-120hz so well and it sounded like a buildup there in my car. In other words, I made the change but never actually checked it afterward. Thanks for pointing that out.

I mean, there's only a hi-hat, ride, or crashes to keep time. Too much hi-hat can be redundant, especially when already using in verses and pre-choruses. I always liked the way the crash sounded as a time keeping piece...something dramatic about it. The hat really didn't sound right there, either did the ride. Perhaps a different cymbal, sure. I have about 20 or so to choose from, but I don't spend too much time picking one out from the other... unless the default cymbal is clearly washy or obnoxious. But in this one, I switched up cymbals quite a bit, and used the others at my disposal more frequently than I normally do.

In other words, I thought I switched up cymbals often enough, and I'm not sure what else I could have done (aside from using the open hat, which didn't sound right).

I think there's two views on this, really. Those who like the cymbal as the time keeper in choruses and those that don't. Some are of the mind that it's only there for the 1 beat or accents, and some like it to replace the open hat sound. I'm in the latter group.

Really good, man. Love the E chord after the second chorus. I heard the rough drafts of this, but forgot about that part. The break before the last chorus is awesome. Nice effect with "break the silence" right after it, sweet.

No mix nits, sounds fantastic. Snare sounds fine, could be "bigger" maybe, but I wouldn't mess with it, sounds great.

Guitars and vocals sound killer. Love hearing my GNX in action. Your voice sounds killer through the new mic, more polished. And I'd definitely keep the pad cover off from now on.

I think there's two views on this, really. Those who like the cymbal as the time keeper in choruses and those that don't. Some are of the mind that it's only there for the 1 beat or accents, and some like it to replace the open hat sound. I'm in the latter group.

Ah yeah. I'm definitely an accents only guy. Crash as time keeper just comes off as noisy to me.

Ah yeah. I'm definitely an accents only guy. Crash as time keeper just comes off as noisy to me.

That's all it really is - noise. It's a more effective noise, in my opinion. I think it just carries a different energy than the hats or a ride do, though both have their place. I'm sure there's specific cymbals that are usually used for riding on, but I just pick the one with the least attack and most swell. The sharp attack cymbals, I use for accents.

Anyhow, thanks VHS.

Is this mix at first post updated? If not I am a tard. I am really liking it man!

Maybe my ears were fried after a session before my last introspect, but this really sounds damn bro!

BTW, fuck you! LOL! Where is the fucking love emoticon? :)

Is this mix at first post updated? If not I am a tard. I am really liking it man!

Maybe my ears were fried after a session before my last introspect, but this really sounds damn bro!

BTW, fuck you! LOL! Where is the fucking love emoticon? :)

Same mix. I don't remix. I take what I learned from comments and suggestions, and my own opinions, and apply it to the next song. Sometimes I'll go back a year later or so and rerecord the song over again, if I feel I could recreate it better after learning some things.

Anyway, nope, it's the one and only mix.

Same mix. I don't remix. I take what I learned from comments and suggestions, and my own opinions, and apply it to the next song. Sometimes I'll go back a year later or so and rerecord the song over again, if I feel I could recreate it better after learning some things.

Anyway, nope, it's the one and only mix.

I must have had tired ears then....

Something about the octave harmony is sticking out. Like you emphasized different phonemes maybe?

Otherwise, it's a solid mix as usual.

yeah I imagined like some verb-chorusy-tremelo's on the harmony...
maybe a couple more cymbals on the bigboom/break..into the chorus, but less during the chorus you mean?
yeah try to fill the buildup with a guitar note instead of a crash...would be interesting to hear a version mix2...or a keyboard/synth? but maybe it wouldnt work at all...doh!

I really like the chorus. main vocals are good too.

talk about myself...but damn my headphones are 1000x's better than my monitors/room-closet..sounds like a total different mix with my monitors being on the blurry side and the headphones with detail and clarity.

Super cool song. It's one of those songs that makes me wish I had written it. Vocals are great. Recording is great. If I had to say one thing, you could maybe lower the cymbals in the mix a tiny bit. A+ effort!

you are simply an amazing songwriter, composer and your songs always sonically fantastic. And your singing is spot on !

Great sound and vocals! I agree with some of the people above, the cymbals are a bit to sharp/high in the mix for me. Also I think the snare would be better with more body. Maybe lower the bass a bit.

Back