Short film - Score opinions welcome

Cool Beagle! Great sounds, appropriate at every event. How long did it take to get the cat to stay still...? :) Is this your first round at one of these? Very cool man

The composition is very nice :thumbs up: Are you wise in the ways of theory? Do you check out Rick Beato's "Everything Music" channel on YouTube? It's FANTASTIC.

Sounds really good as well. What is done with regard to processing? Sounds like some stereo image stuff is happening on the different sections. Are you using compession/limiting on the mixbuss? Or are all of the libraries pre-tweaked, kind of like EZDrummer 2 vs. Superior Drummer?

Sounds like a real score IMHO. Well done :)

Thanks! I do know theory. It was my major at UNT, in fact. I've seen some of Rick's videos; His son's ear is absolutely unbelievable!

I just checked the project in Reaper, and I didn't really process anything. The only thing that's there is some concert hall reverb that's from the Aria Player (Garritan's player) itself. There's nothing on the main buss. This was a rough mix, and I probably intended to go back and work a bit more on it but got distracted with other things. There's nothing on the main buss at all. I'm sure it could benefit from some compression to make it sound bigger.

Yes the Garritan samples are kind of pre-tweaked. And there are some effects you can add in the library too.

Cool Beagle! Great sounds, appropriate at every event. How long did it take to get the cat to stay still...? :) Is this your first round at one of these? Very cool man

Thanks very much! Yes this was my first time directing, shooting, and scoring a video. I had done a tiny bit of video editing before, but not much. And I used a new editor for this project (Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum), so I had a learning curve on it.

Getting the cat to sit still was the easiest part of the whole project! He's lazy and stubborn. :) The hard part was getting it filmed before the wife got home. By the end, it was like "You better get this in one take, Lennon!" :)

Thanks very much! Yes this was my first time directing, shooting, and scoring a video. I had done a tiny bit of video editing before, but not much. And I used a new editor for this project (Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum), so I had a learning curve on it.

Getting the cat to sit still was the easiest part of the whole project! He's lazy and stubborn. :) The hard part was getting it filmed before the wife got home. By the end, it was like "You better get this in one take, Lennon!" :)

Hilarious. What a cool things to do with the kid. Great memories for you both. Looked like a lot of fun

OUTSTANDING!! You need to get that youngin into drama class whenever you can. He may just wind up on the "Big Screen". LOVED the credits!

Hilarious. What a cool things to do with the kid. Great memories for you both. Looked like a lot of fun

Yeah it was really great. Of course, after seeing it, my daughter (just turned 6) wants to do one as well. I'm thinking, "Yeah that will be fun. But I think we'll just stick to a rock-band-type score for this one." I got way overambitious with the score for Lennon's film. The editing of the film probably took a few hours I'd say, but the score ... oh my gosh ... I probably spent over 40 hours on it total. Not only did the writing take time, but also learning how to use the Garritan software (my first orchestral score with it) took a bunch.

I made the mistake of telling the wife and daughter that we had a surprise waiting for them. Three weeks later, they were still waiting. :) To his credit, Lennon didn't spill the beans!

OUTSTANDING!! You need to get that youngin into drama class whenever you can. He may just wind up on the "Big Screen". LOVED the credits!

Ha! Thanks! Funny you should mention that. We actually just enrolled him in the "Drama Kids" school program yesterday as a matter of fact. He went as a guest with a friend last week and loved it. :)

Not only did the writing take time, but also learning how to use the Garritan software (my first orchestral score with it) took a bunch.

Writing orchestral material is a whole different ballgame, and I was very impressed with what you came up with. You showed a different skillset. Props, again.

Back