Short film - Score opinions welcome

famous beagle

Hey y'all, my seven year-old son and I made a little movie while my wife and daughter were out of the house one afternoon. Or, at least ... we shot it then. I then spent hours more editing it and scoring it.

Anyway, I'd be interested in getting opinions regarding the mixing of the score --- anything sticking out, too quiet, etc. --- if anyone is interested.

It's an orchestral score, and seeing as I'm not made of money and can't hire a real orchestra to play it, I had to use MIDI instruments, so it is what it is, and I did the best with what I had. I used Garritan Personal Orchestra for this.

I've since bought East West Symphonic Orchestra but haven't installed it yet. (I'm thinking I should've heeded the warnings about it being a pain in the ass to install, because I can attest to that fact now!)

Thanks to anyone for checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pf_ofnujbE

Great fun!

The score was great and suited the video.

I can't answer your questions because I have not been able to listen to it in detail

Haha Excellent. Typical tabby supremely disinterested in the whole thing. The soundtrack blended really well, very cinematic

Bulls Hit: Thanks! Yes the cat was quite enthralled through it all, as you can tell. :)

Robus: I appreciate the listen!

Very nice! I think the vocals could be compressed a bit so it sounds more movie like and in your face. Also, I feel like everything could be be tightened up a bit. Maybe less reverb or low passing reverb for the instruments

Also, nothing music related, but the fonts could be made a bit more stylish.

And in Sony vegas, you can use this trick to make it look like a movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg8GoW9I97c

Very nice! I think the vocals could be compressed a bit so it sounds more movie like and in your face. Also, I feel like everything could be be tightened up a bit. Maybe less reverb or low passing reverb for the instruments

Also, nothing music related, but the fonts could be made a bit more stylish.

And in Sony vegas, you can use this trick to make it look like a movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg8GoW9I97c

Thanks for all the tips! This is my first time making a video/movie, so I have a lot to learn for sure. I'll check out the Sony trick as well!

---------- Update ----------

Really nice job, well done.

Thanks much!

Hi all. I know this thread is old now but its not one that requires any answers as such so I think it's still relevant as I can't find any threads here regarding movie/video scoring.

Great video & music by the way, works very well with the film.

I've just finished composing some music for a short film (3-4 mins long) for a friend. Its a pastiche of French 60's new wave cinema so I opted for a Jazz score. The film has been shot and is now being edited. My first time writing for a film/video but I'm happy with the result. Approx 13 mins of score that will be edited down to fit the max 4 minutes running time. Should all be completed by the end of November. Once the film is finished I'll post it here so everyone can have a watch.

Here's the music I wrote for it.

Portrait of a Sex God. OST (Full Suite) - YouTube

Any comments would be appreciated, good or bad ;)

Thanks.

Apart from the Piano loop on the first track, the hi hat on track 2 and the brush drumming on the 3rd track (these are Logic Pro audio tracks) all else is me played on a keyboard. Recorded on Logic Pro X.

Thanks.

I think Beagle just got hijacked.

:) Yeah kinda. Why not just start another thread?

The problem is that now I'm not sure to whom Snowman's and HeavyMusic's comments are directed.

Anyway...

Logichead65: Your score sounds great. I really like the main piano/vibes theme up front. The slower swing piece is really nice too. My only suggestion is that maybe when the strings first enter in track 1 (with the piano/vibes), they could have a little more dynamics; they sound a little static right now to me.

I like the organ bit a lot too in the later piece. (There are some pauses here and there, so I don't know exactly where the track counts are.) I look forward to checking out the film when it's done. Thanks for sharing.

Oops sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread but it was the only score thread I could find after doing a search. Thanks for your comments on the strings, I'll open up Logic and try to make them more dynamic. I'll post the film once its complete. Thanks again.

Classic! What libraries did you use? <-- this question for famous beagle

Thanks! I used Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 for everything on this I think. I'm still not an expert on getting the most out of it, but I learned a lot when working on this score for sure.

I did another short piece with GPO4 after that. It wasn't set to a film or anything, but I imagined it being a soundtrack to some film.

Attachments

• First score rough mix.mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Oops sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread but it was the only score thread I could find after doing a search. Thanks for your comments on the strings, I'll open up Logic and try to make them more dynamic. I'll post the film once its complete. Thanks again.

No problem. I just think you'd probably get more responses if you opened your own thread. A lot of people probably recognize the title of this old thread and therefore don't bother to look at it even if it gets a new post because they already know what it's about. At least that's what I would think.

Thanks! I used Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 for everything on this I think. I'm still not an expert on getting the most out of it, but I learned a lot when working on this score for sure.

I did another short piece with GPO4 after that. It wasn't set to a film or anything, but I imagined it being a soundtrack to some film.

The composition is very nice :thumbs up: Are you wise in the ways of theory? Do you check out Rick Beato's "Everything Music" channel on YouTube? It's FANTASTIC.

Sounds really good as well. What is done with regard to processing? Sounds like some stereo image stuff is happening on the different sections. Are you using compession/limiting on the mixbuss? Or are all of the libraries pre-tweaked, kind of like EZDrummer 2 vs. Superior Drummer?

Sounds like a real score IMHO. Well done :)

Back