she believes in me

jimistone

long standing member
I love this old tune so I decided to cover it, I rock it a little harder than the original though. This is the first recording I have done using my lap steel, Its obvious I don't know what I'm doing on it....but I tried to coax out a somewhat not so terrible track with it.
Any input on the mix, arrangement, or anything else about this recording is welcome and appreciated!

She Believes In Me by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Update: I don't know what happened but the isn't the mix i thought I was uploading. Its really thin and very low level

Last edited:
Not bad at all, jimi. A few notes on the lap steel at times seemed maybe a hair sharp, mainly in the first few bars, but it actually gives it some nice character.

At times it almost seems a bit busy, with the lap steel and the right guitar often doing little fills at the same times, but I think it was actually done well. In other words, it was making me want to think it was too busy, but never really got there, if that makes sense. They didn't really play off of each other, but didn't get in each other's way, either.

Vocal sounds nice. Mix-wise, I don't have much at this point. Levels all sounded good, but considering I just came from a loud concert sitting up close, I don't fully trust my ears tonight. I'll give her another listen tomorrow. :thumbs up:

Has a nice live room sound, that's for sure. Great vox, especially during the chorus. The whole thing has that gritty/analog 70's sound to it. Or am I imagining that's what that would sound like? :) I see what Johnny is saying about it being busy in spots, but to me it just sounds like a 5-6 piece band.

You know me and reverb. To me there's too much on this. Especially on the vocal.

This is Kenny Rogers right?

I like the guitars and sounds.

The bass is a little rumbly. At least in spots. Other spots it's ok.

The vocal has just a bit of bite to it. It's nice and clear, but there is just a hint of harshness in it.

Not bad at all, jimi. A few notes on the lap steel at times seemed maybe a hair sharp, mainly in the first few bars, but it actually gives it some nice character.

At times it almost seems a bit busy, with the lap steel and the right guitar often doing little fills at the same times, but I think it was actually done well. In other words, it was making me want to think it was too busy, but never really got there, if that makes sense. They didn't really play off of each other, but didn't get in each other's way, either.

Vocal sounds nice. Mix-wise, I don't have much at this point. Levels all sounded good, but considering I just came from a loud concert sitting up close, I don't fully trust my ears tonight. I'll give her another listen tomorrow. :thumbs up:
Thanks johnny.
I think it's a bit busy too. I may need to trim down the filld a tad. I heard the pitch being off a hair on the lap steel in places too. I'm just not well versed enough on the lap steel to produce a nice track yet, but I wanted to play it on a recording.
Thanks for listening!

Has a nice live room sound, that's for sure. Great vox, especially during the chorus. The whole thing has that gritty/analog 70's sound to it. Or am I imagining that's what that would sound like? :) I see what Johnny is saying about it being busy in spots, but to me it just sounds like a 5-6 piece band.
Thanks andrush.
I added a generous amount of reverb to give it a vintage vibe.
Thanks for listening!

You know me and reverb. To me there's too much on this. Especially on the vocal.

This is Kenny Rogers right?

I like the guitars and sounds.

The bass is a little rumbly. At least in spots. Other spots it's ok.

The vocal has just a bit of bite to it. It's nice and clear, but there is just a hint of harshness in it.
Yeah, it's a bit washed in verb. That's kind of what I was going for. I may have gone a little overboard though. I agree 100% about the bite on the vocal. I'm hearing it too. There is a fine line between "bite" and "muddiness" on a vocal track. Its a balancing act. I will tweak it some more.
Thanks M!

Back