Shadow Whisperers mix/song critique

packrobottom

About to finish new album 7 of 10 songs recorded here is latest one that's in a listenable state.

Any suggestions welcome mix definitely needs work.

For this I used one mic an AT4047 for all tracks into a apogee duet. Daw is Logic.

Guitars sound terrific. Bass does too. Great chug from them.

Vocal is very good - but a bit soft. To me it should be just a bit further forward.

Didn't think the synth or the strings fit the song.

Not sure I liked the guitar parts in the second verse. They kind of distract from the vocal.

Drums are a little programmy, but decent sounding.

I think the synths are good. They add some variety. Starting around 1:02, you have a hard-panned synth opposite a hard-panned lead line. It's a little weird. On the other hand, I do that most every song myself... Maybe just bump them both down a touch?

The vocal could stand to come up.

The bass tone is cool.

Lots of things going on; I wonder if it needs to be leveled out just a little? Some of the parts seem kind of sudden and loud when they come in. Maybe not tho. It's a pretty coherent mix overall.

Guitars sound terrific. Bass does too. Great chug from them.

Vocal is very good - but a bit soft. To me it should be just a bit further forward.

Didn't think the synth or the strings fit the song.

Not sure I liked the guitar parts in the second verse. They kind of distract from the vocal.

Drums are a little programmy, but decent sounding.

Sup Triple You've been very helpful on my songs over the years thanks. I raised the vocal. I also removed the feedback in second half of second verse I think that's what you were referrring to and I agree it was initially there to create tension but that was before the harmonies where in. Drums will be replaced with real drums soon. Thanks!
give a listen now

I think the synths are good. They add some variety. Starting around 1:02, you have a hard-panned synth opposite a hard-panned lead line. It's a little weird. On the other hand, I do that most every song myself... Maybe just bump them both down a touch?

The vocal could stand to come up.

The bass tone is cool.

Lots of things going on; I wonder if it needs to be leveled out just a little? Some of the parts seem kind of sudden and loud when they come in. Maybe not tho. It's a pretty coherent mix overall.

Thanks Vomit! can I call you vomit? lol I like the synths as well. They make the song more emotional. I raised vocal. The bass has the green rhino pedal and sansamp tube really like what it does to bass. Some parts come in suddenly and loud for dynamics but there is a fine line between dynamics and jarring maybe I've crossed it.

I like the tune and the arrangement. Only mix comment I have is that sometimes the guitars crowd the vocal e.g. at 2.30. Otherwise guitars sound good

can I call you vomit?
Ha ha! Sure.

Some parts come in suddenly and loud for dynamics but there is a fine line between dynamics and jarring maybe I've crossed it.

Not so much jarring as... just sounding like it's not quite a cohesive mix I guess? I dunno. It's one of those subtle things that might be hard to quantify and vary from person to person.

I like all the sounds, lyrics seem good, the mix sounds good for the most part. What stands out most is the vocal is a little buried. I personally don't have an problem with anything else. It was good. Killers vibe.

Guitars sound great, vocals sound good just need to be up a little more and they seem to be competing with the guitars in some points. I am torn on the synth myself. They do help the song and bringing in the chorus, but they don't seem to fit at times....maybe they are too loud or just the pad is not the right one to use?? I dunno. Anyway, pretty cool song...catchy.

Back