Seagulls Fly Behind Her (#MeToo song)

YellowDwarf

Dismember
Hi all,

I put this song together awhile ago and just got back to the mix. Can you please lend your ears to it?

There is a wide (IMO) bit of dynamics to this one, so I'd like to hear what you think. This wav is a mix with a lightly used compressor on top and then normalized so one side goes to 0.1 dB. That's my big, long mastering chain!

Anyway, thanks to those who listen and comment!
TimboSeagulls Fly Behind Her by YellowDwarfBand | Yellow Dwarf Band | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It appeared fine for me. Soundcloud links can be wonky sometimes tho.

Right away, I'm thinking the vocals might be a little over-compressed. They're very loud and up-front and overwhelm the minimalist instrumentation at the beginning. Plus, the lip smacks are loud.

Ironically, they're probably too buried when everything kicks in around 1:40.

Not a fan of that distorted guitar tone. It's very thin and weak.

The mix does start to come together at 3:40.

That's helpful Steve, thanks.

I never thought to put the vocals for the various "sections" of the song on separate tracks and treat them differently. I think it may fix what you talked about.

Timbo

I just got home and checked: the first part of the song up to 1:40 or so has no compression on the vocals, just eq, with sends to a vocal slap and another to verb. So that's strange.

Then at 1:40 I switched vocal tracks and there is a compressor on it and it kicks in for probably 3/4 of the singing. I'll work on that.

I see what you mean about the guitar - it was how I thought it could best fit in the mix. I'll work on that too.

Thanks for the listen and comments,
Timbo

I agree that vocals are too upfront at first. I like the treatment of the other instruments. At 1:40 the lead drops too low and the 'response' vocals overpower it.

Back