Santana Cover

Elton123

My cover band finally came in to do a demo. This is my wife doing her best Michelle Branch impression, which is way better than me trying to do Santana. we are basically live in the room and overdubbed the vocals.

Hey Elton.
I jumped on this as soon as I saw it.
Sounding great pal!!

The guitar on the left stands out a bit to me. I'm not sure if I'd pull the volume back, eq it so it's a little less sharp, or just reduce the panning a touch.
It's meant to be countering the keys, right? It doesn't balance for me.

Vocals sound super, and the guitar tone is nice overall too.

I feel like I want to bring the singer up a bit, but that might just be because of the guitar level. I duno.
Edit: Just got to 3:00. Vocals are fine....I'd definitely just drop the guitar overall.

The cymbals hit you in the face a bit too, in my opinion.

That all sounds really critical, but I'm definitely digging this overall. Great job!
Performances all sound great.

The guitar does appear a little louder than the keyboard but they are travelling in different freq areas more often than not so it may be aparent rather than real in ears & less so in terms of meters etc.
The crash ? cymbal gets a bit harsh.
Nice demo.

I love this. Reminds me of road trips with my dad. He loved Santana. Tell your wife she's got a beautiful voice. I enjoyed this a lot. :)

Guitar's too bright, I think. Can come down just a taste, too, during the vocal. Vocal up, please - she's getting drowned out by the drums and guitar. That segment with just the voice and the bass sounds about right, so maybe just turn down the drums and guitar.

Love this! Sounds fantastic, but I agree about the comments on the guitar. I feel like the guitar and keyboard are stealing center stage from the vocal a little bit. Excellent playing othough. I wish that I could hear you guys singing some backup vocals for your wife, it would really fill it out.

adjusted version
Better balance between axe & Joanna.
The vocals are a little similar to the singer from the Motels -= Martha Davis.
The harmony vox work a treat mate - well done.

Thought it was a very good cover. Only thing I reacted to was the rhythm of the drums, which seemed to stop the flow of the song a little in certain parts.

Good listen!

adjusted version
Better balance between axe & Joanna.
The vocals are a little similar to the singer from the Motels -= Martha Davis.
The harmony vox work a treat mate - well done.

Thanks man. Who is Joanna? It's Chelisa singing actually. :)

Back