Rusty Cage, Working Man Blues. Original song

Atkron205

This is an original we are working on. this is the initial mix. I am still working on it. What do you think? Thanks:drunk:

Attachments

• Working Man Blues.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
Cool - the bass could be tamed a little as it's mainly thud.
The vocals are a little distant and thin sounding stylistically more like a Dio thing. At 1.40 t seems to do something odd as well.

Cool - the bass could be tamed a little as it's mainly thud.
The vocals are a little distant and thin sounding stylistically more like a Dio thing. At 1.40 t seems to do something odd as well.

Thanks for the comments. is it too much low end on the bass or just volume?

Neither. It just needs some definition - some high end signal to give it a place in the mix. With my bass and style it's a narrow EQ peak at 3Khz.

The drums (really the snare) seem really reverby/roomy so they sound in a different place then the guitar, but really from the vocal.

Boomy, boomy bass and drums. Guitars are the most present in the mix with the vocals sounding too far back.
Did it sound ok to you in your room?
What are you monitoring on.?

Boomy, boomy bass and drums. Guitars are the most present in the mix with the vocals sounding too far back.
Did it sound ok to you in your room?
What are you monitoring on.?

Guitar and bass recorded direct, drums recorded in open room. monitoring on Alesis Mark II monitors. Room is boomy, may need to put shields around the kit. Thanks for the comments.

Sounds cool and all, good performances, but it sounds very mono. Everything is pretty much right down the middle. Is there a reason for this?

Yes the bass is flubby. I'd put a high pass filter on it around 50dB to clean up the sub lows and maybe cut a little bit around 250. And if you haven't already, add a high pass filter on the guitar around 150 or so to get it out of the way of the bass. With only these three instruments, you should be able to get some pretty good definition between them.

Sounds cool and all, good performances, but it sounds very mono. Everything is pretty much right down the middle. Is there a reason for this?

Yes the bass is flubby. I'd put a high pass filter on it around 50dB to clean up the sub lows and maybe cut a little bit around 250. And if you haven't already, add a high pass filter on the guitar around 150 or so to get it out of the way of the bass. With only these three instruments, you should be able to get some pretty good definition between them.

Thanks for the tips. I have been having an issue with the bass lacking pop. thanks for the listen.:D

Back