Rotterdam - (Chuck Ragan Cover) Acoustic

ShanPeyton

I can't believe i forgot to post this up :( This is more just sharing for the fun of it. I am not going to make any changes i don't think. This was more just something for me to build a little confidence in my vocal abilities, harmonizing behind the mic and mixing back ground vocals behind the keyboard. Exploring depth, eq carving, compression and all that junk with out having to worry about writing something.

I was going for a subtle in your face kind of sound. I love the way rick Rubin produced Johnny Cash's last few albums before he passed on and i was trying to find that space with this song. I obviously do not have that warmth but i think i got close. Maybe a little?

Things i don't like:

The rattling guitar (it is a cheap Fender and i play a right handed guitar left handed upside down so some chords sound worse than others)
The panning of the guitars sound unnatural. Apologies.
Soundcloud ate some of the dynamics after i uploaded.

Enjoy none the less .

I think the mix is good for what you were aiming for. I prefer having more definition on the acoustics, these sound like plastic strings to my ears.

Song is pleasant enough. :)

I think it sounds great. (Although I'm very new.)
I think your vocals sound really great. Technically I don't hear any particular problems, I really like the tone of your voice, and I think your performance really communicates the emotion of the song without overdoing it or sounding cheesy.

Thank you all for the kind words.

@pinky, what do you mean when you say definition?

@jessica welcome to the forums. This place is a great place to come to get you started and answer questions. By far one of the most resourceful and responsive I have seen ever. Sometimes the it can take a little while for someone to review your songs in this particular thread, but usually you'll get something after a while. And also it doesn't matter how new your ears are they will always hear what pleases you. So thanks for taking time to comment. Hope to hear some stuff by you someday soon!

I think this is pretty good. I like the dullness of the acoustic guitars. It sounds like powerchords on an acoustic, and that's better to me than jangly open campfire chords. Vocals are very good. You have a masculine, Mike Ness-ish style to your voice, and that's good. The last thing this world needs is another femboy vocal style. No need to lack confidence there.

I think this is pretty good. I like the dullness of the acoustic guitars. It sounds like powerchords on an acoustic, and that's better to me than jangly open campfire chords. Vocals are very good. You have a masculine, Mike Ness-ish style to your voice, and that's good. The last thing this world needs is another femboy vocal style. No need to lack confidence there.

Jesus. Thanks Greg. Mike Ness-ish. That is a lofty compliment that I will humbly accept. It is kind of funny because i have a cover of Bad Luck half done i have debated on finishing. Maybe i won't now haha. I don't want to come off as "that guy" (I don't like "those guys". LOL)

I think the reason my chords aren't all that jangly is because where most people would be hitting the g,b and little e string in their strum, i am strumming the meat and potato strings and getting the chords out with some Umph. Probably doesn't help that i play an acoustic like i am putting it through a table saw with sawdust flying everywhere. I haven't really mentally separated an acoustic from an electric. I am usually the designated rhythm guy around the ol' campfire haha.

Thanks again man. I'll have some rock and roll up for you soon!!

Thank you all for the kind words.

@pinky, what do you mean when you say definition?

A little more treble, so the pick strikes sound more like plucks than thumps. I'm not saying it needs to sound sharp or harsh, just a little more than what is there ATM.

Back