RollingStones "Memory Motel"

R

RAMI

Happy New Year everyone!

Figured I'd start the year with a cover. I don't know what possessed me to cover this. It's not my favorite Stones tune, and I'm not typically a fan of "love" songs. But I started playing around with it and ended up learning the parts, so I said what the hell, record it. It did grow on me as I learned it though.

I'm going to re-do some of the vocals, there are parts that are off to my ears.

Just looking for any comments on the mix and general sound of things.

Thanx a lot.

MEMORY MOTEL (Rolling Stones cover)

I don't know the original, but it sounds really good. I really have no mix comments. Maybe drop the backing vox down a little. Other than that, sounds right to me. Well done.

Hey Rami, great job man...I thought vocals were really cool, definetly do the original justice, both lead and background....I dug this, outstanding, and thumbs up to a great cover choice!

RAMI,
A good choice of cover in that it's not well known. Terrific playing and I really enjoyed the b/vox - very glimmer twins - particularly the higher ones around 1.40 - very Emotional Rescue.
No nits at all. Stellar beginning to the new year.

I really like the drum sound you get man, especially the kick! nice and punchy.

Sounds like you're doing your best Jagger impression as well.

...You've got the moves like Jagger!

I'll see myself out

I don't know the original, but it sounds really good. I really have no mix comments. Maybe drop the backing vox down a little. Other than that, sounds right to me. Well done.
Cool thanx Greg.

Hey Rami, great job man...I thought vocals were really cool, definetly do the original justice, both lead and background....I dug this, outstanding, and thumbs up to a great cover choice!
Thanx a lot Queep. Had fun doing it.

RAMI,
A good choice of cover in that it's not well known. Terrific playing and I really enjoyed the b/vox - very glimmer twins - particularly the higher ones around 1.40 - very Emotional Rescue.
No nits at all. Stellar beginning to the new year.
Thanx Ray. Yes, I don't think this album "Black and Blue" is that well-known. I've worn it out over the years. Used to listen to this over and over.

I really like the drum sound you get man, especially the kick! nice and punchy.

Sounds like you're doing your best Jagger impression as well.

...You've got the moves like Jagger!

I'll see myself out
Thanx man. Yeah, I've always been able to sing Jagger pretty well. Did a lot of Stones covers live in my life.
Yeah, nice one. How about a slapback on the vocal?
Thanx a lot Dobro.
Yeah, maybe slap back. Didn't find it necessary, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
RAMI can you impersonate Geddy Lee as well??
Great cover. I've never really been a Stones fan so I don't know the song. I bet I would probably think this cover was better than the original if I ever heard it. Nice mix and overall tone. I wish I could get drums to sound that good.

RAMI can you impersonate Geddy Lee as well??
Great cover. I've never really been a Stones fan so I don't know the song. I bet I would probably think this cover was better than the original if I ever heard it. Nice mix and overall tone. I wish I could get drums to sound that good.
Thanx a lot cygnus.

I rotgot about this thread, I thought it died a while ago. Not much interest for a 7 minute cover of a ballad, I guess. Time to play the "385 views and only 6 responses" card, and start whining annoyingly. :D

Thanx a lot cygnus.

I rotgot about this thread, I thought it died a while ago. Not much interest for a 7 minute cover of a ballad, I guess. Time to play the "385 views and only 6 responses" card, and start whining annoyingly. :D

Lol @ rotgot :D That's a good typo.

New mix sounds great. I said earlier that I thought the BG vox could maybe come down some. I don't know if you did that or not, but it seems real good now.

New mix sounds great. I said earlier that I thought the BG vox could maybe come down some. I don't know if you did that or not, but it seems real good now.

Awesome man. Thanx a lot. :cool:

Hey Rami. Nice job! I finally got round to sitting through the whole thing. I'm not a huge fan of the song, but you did a great job of it. I listened on my crappy laptop speakers and it sounded good on there, so you're doing something right. There's a few spots where you totally nail the vocal (and I mean absolutely, completely nail it like Jesus to the cross - if I had a soul, you'd be grabbing it by the balls) and then following lines where the delivery feels a little weak in comparison. Dunno if that's deliberate or if those are the bits you want to re-record. Otherwise, great stuff, mate.

Hey Rami. Nice job! I finally got round to sitting through the whole thing. I'm not a huge fan of the song, but you did a great job of it. I listened on my crappy laptop speakers and it sounded good on there, so you're doing something right. There's a few spots where you totally nail the vocal (and I mean absolutely, completely nail it like Jesus to the cross - if I had a soul, you'd be grabbing it by the balls) and then following lines where the delivery feels a little weak in comparison. Dunno if that's deliberate or if those are the bits you want to re-record. Otherwise, great stuff, mate.
Thanx Johny. It's far from being my favorite Stones tune, and it's one of those songs that I appreciate a lot more after covering it. But I wasn't crazy about it until I did it. I think the main reason I really wanted to do it is because I knew I can nail the vocals on it. I'll re-visit it some time and re-do those vocal lines that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Thanx a gain. :cool:

Last edited:
OK, I didn't want to start a new thread, but I just re-recorded most of this song, so it's almost a new tune. I figured I'd just bump this 4 month old thread.

a 6 + minute song, a ballad, a slow song, and not the most exciting tune in the world, so I don't expect anyone to sit through the whole thing.

But I'm mainly concerned with the clean guitar tone. So, you really only need to listen to the intro if you don't like the tune. :D

How does that clean guitar sound. Of course, I always appreciate any mix advice, so don't stop there. Thanx.

Here's the link:

MEMORY MOTEL (Stones cover)

RAMI's resurrection shuffle...
Which "clean" ? - the arpeg'd intro guitar sound cool - just a little break up. The "clean" lead on the other side is, on a few notes, a little loud before the "band" comes in. The arp guitra then seems to sit R & UP in the image.
Lovely job mate.

Back