Rock Song Called "Comic Book Heroes." Plz lmk about balances

Crazy Luke

Here is a song called "Comic Book heroes." Please let me know what can come up or down in this mix. The higher the mix number, the more recent the mix (and, hopefully, an improvement.)
thx

Attachments

• Comic Book Heroes Mix 51 -2.3 rms.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 38
  • Comic Book Heroes Mix 63.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Comic Book Heroes Mix 82 mo bass.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 5
  • Comic Book Heroes Mix 81 .mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 4
  • Comic Book Heroes Mix 91.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Cool concept. I really dig the vocals and harmonies. This song really reminds me of Meatloaf meets Rocky Horror.

Not a fan of the tone of the main guitar but really its not bad. It may just have to much presence or need to be brought down a little.

SOme of of your synths that come in a little loud.

Great job though. Really cool song dude

Cool concept. I really dig the vocals and harmonies. This song really reminds me of Meatloaf meets Rocky Horror.

Wouldn't that be...

The song's pretty good. The left rhythm guitar seems much louder than the right.

The vocals at 2:15 right after the keys come in get pretty buried.

Actually, a lot of the a "stings" throughout are probably louder than they should be: aforementioned keyboard swell, the min-isolo at 2:50, the brass on the far-left at 1:58. The bass run at 3:14 is at a pretty good level tho.
This is pretty similar to how I tend to arrange my mixes, actually. Get the core down and then layer a bunch of extra stuff throughout to make it interesting. All of those little extra things should be slightly quieter than you really want tho. The core focus of the song should still remain on the basic drums/guitar/bass/vox.

Yeah, I think Meatloaf wrote most of Rocky Horror. I might be wrong. But I hear his style all over those tunes.

This sounds pretty good. Personally, I'd spread the drums out a bit. Sounds like that bell ride is right up the middle. I've been told that my cymbals are too spread out, though, so I may be wrong.

It's a cool tune. Nice screams.

Regarding levels, the lead guitar seemed a little harsh in the intro, I might bring that down a bit. Lead vocal sounds good but it's a bit forward for me. Backgrounds seemed just right and the other instruments were good too. Cool song.

This mix is less harsh than your previous ones, and it seems better in the low mids. The lead vocal is pretty dark and there's a bit of a sibilance thing going on in the high vocals. The whole thing seems pretty severely compressed.

What's really odd to me is that is seems very compressed and limited but then there's a full 1.5dB of headroom above the highest peak. It makes me wonder if you're using some sort of general purpose limiter on the master bus rather than a mastering specific limiter. I think to really improve this mix you need to revise the compression and limiting all around.

As others have said, the writing, arrangement and performance are all really good. It's just a little over compressed.

I thght th msc ws qut gd. I thnk th lft hnd gtr ws nt blncd wth th rght hnd gtr. Plyng nd sngng ws gd.

Thanks to everyone above for making me re-examine the way I've been treating the mix at the 2-buss, and your all right - over compressed and overcooked overall. I have been busy with a paradigm shift in the way I mix now, as I am paying more attention to my LV meter and Sonalksis Free G Meter at the two-bus. Hopefully you won't hear any squashed or overcooked material. Here is another v of Comic Book Heroes. This one now comes in at -9 rms.
Thx for your help guys.
(p.s. the actor who played Riff Raff wrote most of the songs in RHPS)

Attachments

• Comic Book Heroes Mix 63.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 4
Much fatter and cleaner overall. I think that's the right direction. I'm losing the rhythm guitars and cymbals, and missing some edge all around. There's room for more clarity from instruments without stepping on the vocal. It's a bit too fat in the low mids. This mix needs work but it has a much more pleasant feel to it already.

The panning is better.

Some of the stings are probably still a bit excessive, but now that I listen again, I might accredit that to overall volume levels. There doesn't seem to be a ton of dynamic contrast throughout the mix. I guess it's not squashed, but it doesn't move much either.

I only listened to the second mix.

I thought the guitars sounded pretty good. Really tight doubling. A bit of an amp sim sound, but not bad.

Love the harmonies in the chorus. Give's it a feel that it's the title song to a super hero TV show.

I'm not hearing much bass. The low end is all kick.

Drums sound decent.

Another Attempt at Comic Book Heroes in a Different Mixing Room

Here is another attempt at "Comic Book Heroes" that I mixed in a different mixing environment. Let me know if it is better than the previous ones. Mix 82 has more bass than 81. Plz lmk which one you think is better.

thx

Attachments

• Comic Book Heroes Mix 66.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Comic Book Heroes Mix 81 .mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Comic Book Heroes Mix 82 mo bass.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is my latest effort. Let me know if it is the best to date.

Attachments

• Comic Book Heroes Mix 91.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Back