[Rock Ballad] "Better Man" Anything helps!

I am a 14 year old multi-instrumentalist working on a new album. I having some trouble with this mix. It just doesn't have the balance and fullness I want, but can't figure out what it needs? Any suggestions? Thanks!!View attachment 100506

At the age of 14 I think it sounds just fine. The vocals will improve with time as well as experience as some parts seem to be just a tad off key. I think you are well on your way.

Your drums, bass, guitars, actually sound pretty darn good. From a mix perspective, you'll probably want to dive into the vocals a bit more. Right now, they are pretty dry and in your face. They aren't blending into the mix very well, and I'd look at reverb, EQ. oh wait---with the higher vocals, they sit a little better. The distance from the mic is helping. Are you backing off the mic on the louder vox? If so, then some verb will def help the lower vocals sit better.

Really, as a mix, this is better than a lot of the things I hear here from those who have been recording/mixing for decades. I agree with Mack that you're well on your way dude.

Very nice start. I thought the instruments sounded good. I also thought that for a 14 year old the song writing was well developed.

Mixwise, I'd just generally advise a couple things... Try to get a little more low end from your guitars. And try to get a little wider mix - investigate on a little more dramatic panning. When you do that, make sure you have parts that balance each other on each side.

And then generally, keep at it. Keep writing, recording, singing, practicing. The more you do it, the better you get at it.

I like the songwriting, guitars, and lyrics. I'd like the drums with a little more Mid-EQ boost - and some cymbal. Maybe just riding the bell on the ride cymbal. I did like the sound of the bass - thought the bass line could have moved around a bit more, ala Flea / Chili Peppers. This would have really helped kick it back in at the 3:00 mark. Nice finish. I'd fatten the lead vocal. Maybe start by simply cloning the track and adding a very short delay to the clone to get the doubling effect. Your DAW probably has a vocal fattener you could use too. I usually clone and add a delay and let it go at that without EQ - I listen to that a dozen times before I decide whether to EQ the clone differently.

I like the tune.

Back