Robben Ford - "The Brother" cover

I have to preface this by saying there are very few times on these threads where I lay my head back in chair and simple let myself get absorbed in the music as played. This so was that. It's VERY rare.

THAT being said, the mix could be done so much better. This was totally mixed from a lead guitarist's vantage point, not a listener's.

All the subtext, all the nuance of the other players ... slaved to a point of minor role against ... "Hey, I'm a lead guitar player." :)

We, the listener, get that. A FABULOUS lead guitar player, actually.

But the mix could be made so much better by including the subtext in a better way ... and make greater use of the sonic stage.

The organ should come up and swirl stereo behind.

The rhythm guitars should be better panned so to provide ear candy in stereo purpose. There is so much here that is so great and under utilized in mix.

Thanks for the share. Totally enjoyed the playing ... a bit frustrated by the mix.

:)

Thanks much for the kind words. Although I was the lead guitarist, I had nothing to do with the mix. :) I'm not sure if you read the original post closely or not, but this is supposed to be a sound-alike recording for a book on Robben Ford. Therefore, the mix is supposed to be mirroring what the original mix was. I haven't A/B'ed them yet, but I do know that they're trying to mimic the original with regards to panning, levels, sounds, etc.

Or maybe you're intimately familiar with the original, and you were just saying that they did a poor job imitating it? I'm not entirely sure. :)

Thanks much for the kind words. Although I was the lead guitarist, I had nothing to do with the mix. :) I'm not sure if you read the original post closely or not, but this is supposed to be a sound-alike recording for a book on Robben Ford. Therefore, the mix is supposed to be mirroring what the original mix was. I haven't A/B'ed them yet, but I do know that they're trying to mimic the original with regards to panning, levels, sounds, etc.

Or maybe you're intimately familiar with the original, and you were just saying that they did a poor job imitating it? I'm not entirely sure. :)

I did read the OP, but I didn't have any context on Robben Ford or that the mix was an attempted mirror on another recording. If so, then I've nothing to say ... because I've no context for comparison either. :)

My comments were regarding the difference of what the mix is, and whether it could be made better ... IMO. In that context, there's so much room for improvement. There's so much great playing and material here, and the mix doesn't bring the performance to full potential.

Perhaps that's because it is an attempt to mimic something else. If so, fair enough ... and it is what it is. It's not a bad mix ... it's just not a well balanced one.

Your guitar playing was really, really good. It's what I enjoyed most, and what drew me into a musically relaxed coma. :D

I did read the OP, but I didn't have any context on Robben Ford or that the mix was an attempted mirror on another recording. If so, then I've nothing to say ... because I've no context for comparison either. :)

My comments were regarding the difference of what the mix is, and whether it could be made better ... IMO. In that context, there's so much room for improvement. There's so much great playing and material here, and the mix doesn't bring the performance to full potential.

Perhaps that's because it is an attempt to mimic something else. If so, fair enough ... and it is what it is. It's not a bad mix ... it's just not a well balanced one.

Your guitar playing was really, really good. It's what I enjoyed most, and what drew me into a musically relaxed coma. :D

Thanks very much. I appreciate it. I worked really hard on it. :)

Agree that there is some real good playing on this. Love the lead guitar tone.

Not much to add - just one thing. The mix seemed a bit narrow to me. Lead guitar straight down the center. Drums are narrow. Rhythm guitars aren't panned hard. My biggest thing about the mix is to widen it.

Agree that there is some real good playing on this. Love the lead guitar tone.

Not much to add - just one thing. The mix seemed a bit narrow to me. Lead guitar straight down the center. Drums are narrow. Rhythm guitars aren't panned hard. My biggest thing about the mix is to widen it.

Yep. I framed it as better use of the sonic stage, but you and I had the same issue.

HI, sounds good,
I would add more reverb onto the rhythm and keep it more to side and separate the lead to the other side a little less than the other gap
btw I was very imp[ressed with the giutar after half wa y was really neat and extrairdinary, at beginning so so

HI, sounds good,
I would add more reverb onto the rhythm and keep it more to side and separate the lead to the other side a little less than the other gap
btw I was very imp[ressed with the giutar after half wa y was really neat and extrairdinary, at beginning so so

Thanks very much! The mix is meant to duplicate what's heard on the original Robben Ford recording, so we're pretty much stuck with the panning decisions they made.

Back