Robben Ford - "The Brother" cover

Good jam! The organ's a bit far back and I mean really quiet, mostly. Maybe it's the tone of the thing.
Really good guitar playing! Good bass tone.
What are you using for signal chain/amps/etc. on the guitar rig? Is that your telecaster? Sounds really warm. I'm used to those in countray twaiing.

Hey Begal, Very nice! Sounded like a backing track with a couple of your guitar tracks maybe without the Dumble. I have followed Robben Ford since the late 70's and I can tell by this that you have taken his work to the woodshed. This could have passed for Ford's playing, not necessarily his tone or production but nice work.

Thanks y'all. This was my Hagstrom Swede reissue running through AmpliTube. I spent a lot of time working on the tone and more on the licks. ?

Okay, I can hear that. Did you change the organ sound, or is it just fuller in my cans than on my speakers?

Nice playing and killer tone. Very clean recording too. I liked everything about it!
Fantastic job on this.

a minute in, and I;m really digging it! nice work. silly comment, but I really like the sound of the overheads.

Okay, I can hear that. Did you change the organ sound, or is it just fuller in my cans than on my speakers?

No I didn't change it. I only recorded the guitars at my place and then sent those tracks to the studio in Milwaukee for mixing. But you're listening to the same mix, so it must be your cans.

You obviously enjoy playing it...but how do you like it overall?
I love my Swedes...I rarely play anything else. :cool:

Hey...that's some really good playing there. :thumbs up:

Thanks! Yes I like the Swede, although it required a bit of work. The setup took a bit of finagling to get right, and the switches (both pickup selector and tone filter) failed on mine very early on, so I had to replace them. But now that it's up to snuff, I use it quite often. I always thought I would replace the pickups in it, but I haven't felt the need to yet.

I've always had to do a bit of setup fine-tuning with all my reissue Hagstroms, but most just needed some personalization.
Maybe a couple required some extra finessing...but then, I always take new guitars and do a light fret dressing and check the fret edges, lightly sand the fretboard, just to get it feeling a bit played in...and then I do the complete neck/action/intonation setup.

Not sure what kind of finagling you had to do...but it sounds like you get it dialed in now. :thumbs up:

AFA the electronics...I've not had anything fail me, though I do like to put in better 3-way switches than what you get with them...but I see that the newer stuff is coming with better switches than they had a few years back. Also, on some the wiring/soldering was half-assed...so I would clean it up.
The Custom 58 pickups they use are actually pretty good, and you would have to drop some decent coin to see an upgrade, but then, sometimes it's just a matter of tone taste and not so much about quality upgrades.
I picked up a set of Kent Armstrong pups ( a bit brighter than the Custom 58) that I dropped into one of my Swedes...just for variety...so they don't all have the same Custom 58 pups.
I also have another one that I put in some vintage '70s DiMarzzio Super Distortion pups.
All the rest of my RI Hags are with their stock pups (I've got a collection :p).

For the price...if you don't mind doing a bit of setup and maybe some hardware/electronics upgrades...they are great guitars, as the wood/build/finish quality is quite good.

Sorry....didn't mean to turn this into a guitar thread. but I don't often see guys here on HR with Hags. :)

It's cool. They're a fairly rare bird alright. To be honest, I don't know if I would have ever known about them if I hadn't reviewed one for Guitar Edge magazine back in 2007 or something. That was a Super Swede I think---the one with the Fender scale length. But I saw the PR rep at the NAMM show that year at their booth, and that's when I first played the regular Swede. I liked it much more, and, I won't lie ... I just thought it looked much cooler as well. He gave me a deal on it since I'd reviewed it: $280 brand new with a nice hard shell case. I have the Heritage Cherry model. I've since made a few slight cosmetic alterations, replacing the switches with creme ones.

Yeah...the standard Swedes are my favorite too. Of the reissue Hags, I have one Super Swede and the rest are Swedes...plus there's my vintage Swedes.
You should check out the new Deuces...basically double-cut Swedes. I really like them too, you can get way up in the second octave much easier.

Shit...$280 w/case...did you have gun on him when he gave it to you that cheap?! :D ;)

I have to preface this by saying there are very few times on these threads where I lay my head back in chair and simple let myself get absorbed in the music as played. This so was that. It's VERY rare.

THAT being said, the mix could be done so much better. This was totally mixed from a lead guitarist's vantage point, not a listener's.

All the subtext, all the nuance of the other players ... slaved to a point of minor role against ... "Hey, I'm a lead guitar player." :)

We, the listener, get that. A FABULOUS lead guitar player, actually.

But the mix could be made so much better by including the subtext in a better way ... and make greater use of the sonic stage.

The organ should come up and swirl stereo behind.

The rhythm guitars should be better panned so to provide ear candy in stereo purpose. There is so much here that is so great and under utilized in mix.

Thanks for the share. Totally enjoyed the playing ... a bit frustrated by the mix.

:)

Back