"Roadstar" New Drums

Cymbals and crashes are giving me the hardest time, but I'm making progress.

Less is more, both in volume and in how often you hit them. Mix and match kits to find the best combo of cymbals. Then you can lower pitch/EQ them to make them sound better. I'd also recommend putting the hits slightly ahead/behind the beat for a human feel and/or adding light swing.

Thanks for the tips, Nola. I'll give this tune one more look before I call it done and throw it in the library. Aside from maybe the crashes, I think the mix is pretty decent after making a few small adjustments from what you and others have said here. If it wasn't just a quick 1 minute instrumental, I'd definitely spend more time perfecting it. Time to focus on the new ones I'm working on, and I think people around here are probably sick of this damn tune anyway :)

Thanks for all your help.

... and I think people around here are probably sick of this damn tune anyway :)

not at all. Honestly, I listen to clinic tunes more than anything else nowadays, by far. Since I started doing my own mixes, I lost that "innocence" of hearing good tunes on the radio - it's like, once you learn how they do it, it isn't so mysterious and fascinating anymore...and I'm usually calling out the chord progressions and upcoming sections way before they happen with radio hits. I listened to several clinic tunes in the car today, including this one.

Back