Rise of the Temple

Had chance to listen to this before leaving for work. Update sounds great DM, I like the more prominent tambourine. Nice work.

so, how did you use reverb in this track DM? what were your sends, what room sizes, etc? very good all around. listened to this several times again today, and have had it in my head this last week. :thumbs up:

so, how did you use reverb in this track DM? what were your sends, what room sizes, etc? very good all around. listened to this several times again today, and have had it in my head this last week. :thumbs up:

I am probably using the Waves IRverb (I can come back and confirm. What I have been doing, based on reading people write about reverb, and usually bad (listening in clinic and reading comments is very educational) I use a reverb send and make it 100% wet and cut below 200ish and above 12K with an EQ. Then solo the reverb and mix the reverb to sound like I think it would sound like say in a hallway or something like that. Once I have it sounding pretty decent (it doesn't have to be perfect), then I add the wetness to the dry mix.

It doesn't always work, but I have been happy with that approach. I will still add guitar and vocal reverb often in addition, but first thing is to try to get everything in the same space.

Can't say it is the best way, but I feel the last several years I haven't had too many give me negatives on my use of verb. Now mud on the other hand, I have rally struggled understanding that, plus I kind of like my mixes a little dark.

Thanks for asking.

This sounds really good. Great lead and background vocals, nice bluesy acoustic guitar. It's got a live feel and sound to it. I'm hearing a lot of what sounds like room. I thought at first that the ambiance was a little too close and congested, but got used to it quick. I don't have a lot to suggest. It's pretty close to done for me.

Can't say it is the best way, but I feel the last several years I haven't had too many give me negatives on my use of verb. Now mud on the other hand, I have rally struggled understanding that, plus I kind of like my mixes a little dark.

Thanks for asking.

No, the verb sounds great to me. Real authentic/live feeling. I'm still playing around with the most efficient way to do it - which seems ridiculous given it's a staple and has been around forever. My only issue is that I like a 80-90 ms pre-delay on vocals and around 35 ms on guitars. So, I can surely set up a bus and route everything else to it, but those two things usually end up with an insert so that I can set up properties differently. Sometimes I throw one on the snare bus too.

Just curious of your setup since the ambience sounds great to me.

No, the verb sounds great to me. Real authentic/live feeling. I'm still playing around with the most efficient way to do it - which seems ridiculous given it's a staple and has been around forever. My only issue is that I like a 80-90 ms pre-delay on vocals and around 35 ms on guitars. So, I can surely set up a bus and route everything else to it, but those two things usually end up with an insert so that I can set up properties differently. Sometimes I throw one on the snare bus too.

Just curious of your setup since the ambience sounds great to me.

Yea, treat the whole mix as one mix, then the reverb you want as an effect, add those either straight to the track or to their own send. To me, there are two kinds of reverb, room and effect. I think along those lines, I don't worry about efficient ;)

This sounds good DM60. Reminds me of some of the music from the 60s. I think its recorded and mixed really good. I like the song too. Judgement day ain't that far off and this is a fitting song for 2017

Damn Dave.....If this is an example of what you're doing now, your recordings have come on in leaps and bounds since the last time I heard you.

The song subject might not be my cup of tea but I can appreciate a good tune when I hear one and even more so a good recording. (Listening to the updated mix)

Great stuff. Sounds like a lot of people having fun but I'm guessing it was just you, right? If so, Brilliant!

:thumbs up:

Damn Dave.....If this is an example of what you're doing now, your recordings have come on in leaps and bounds since the last time I heard you.

The song subject might not be my cup of tea but I can appreciate a good tune when I hear one and even more so a good recording. (Listening to the updated mix)

Great stuff. Sounds like a lot of people having fun but I'm guessing it was just you, right? If so, Brilliant!

:thumbs up:

Yep one man show. I love technology :) Funny what one can do with a acoustic, bass, some objects around the house and a microphone.

Thanks for the listen, I always appreciated your input.

Hope all is well with you.

I liked this, I really liked the vibe...whenever I hear stuff like this I want to throw some sampled beats behind it...its borderline Beck without the "modernization"

Thought the mix was good...coming off Jimis blues tune it was quiter and had less space but it seems appropriate for the tune.

Nice work

I liked this, I really liked the vibe...whenever I hear stuff like this I want to throw some sampled beats behind it...its borderline Beck without the "modernization"

Thought the mix was good...coming off Jimis blues tune it was quiter and had less space but it seems appropriate for the tune.

Nice work

Thanks KC.

I tried to keep to overall compression down, and still have the bass and kick (trashcan) making some bottom end. I stayed light on the final master compressor. I don't have a lot of experience mixing guitar case, trash can and then all of those voices.

Compression was just touching on the master, plus I am leaving some head room for the MP3/soundcloud conversion. I was reading somewhere on here that would maybe help the MP3 conversion. Seemed like it made some difference without me having to create a different wave mix from an MP3 mix. Maybe not.

Back