Review my recording & mix backing track

Scouse

Hi

I've had a go at recording a backing track (Valerie) with my band and mixing using an 8 track recorder. Most of the instruments are direct input save the drums and tambourine.

Because I've heard it so many times I've lost sight of the sound and my ears have gone stale.

I'd be glad of some feedback on the overall sound & mix (don't be too harsh as I'm fairly new to this).

Scouse

Attachments

• ValerieNormComp.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 10
The instruments sans percussion could have been louder/drums quieter.

Otherwise, it sounds fine. I'd love to hear it with vocals.

edit: the synth/horn sounds that are panned to the right during the chorus aren't quite on time if you ask me.

Hi

I've had a go at recording a backing track (Valerie) with my band and mixing using an 8 track recorder. Most of the instruments are direct input save the drums and tambourine.

Because I've heard it so many times I've lost sight of the sound and my ears have gone stale.

I'd be glad of some feedback on the overall sound & mix (don't be too harsh as I'm fairly new to this).

Scouse

Is it possible to lose most of the room sound on the snare? It needs a short, bright reverb on it, IMO. The way it is now, the hollow snare sound has a boomy note which interferes with the actual note that the bass is playing. This means that there's no root note reference for the guitar and other instruments when they come in, so they sound kind of disconnected until you can get your head around which key they're in. Performance is good, relative levels are good, except maybe the drums are a tad loud. :)

Thanks Guys, interesting point about the drums shopuld I EQ them a bit. The drums were recorded seperately dry. So do you think the sound is down to the actual snare and not the micing recording? The overall mix was normalised and bit of reverb added them compressed 1:2

Back