Retro Rock Track - Vocal Mixing Advise please

El-Ahrairah

Hey Guys!

I've just stumbled across this forum, and it seems like exactly what I've looking for for quite some time, a place to exchange information with people knowledgeable in home recording.

Recording: Low-Budget Open-Source Studio (Ubuntu Linux & Ardour & Edirol FA-101 & Sm57 & TonelabSE)

Do you have general advice on mixing? What don't you like? Does the EQ on the instruments seem suitable?

Basically I want it to sound like a The Beatles meet Hendrix meet Thin Lizzy style track, retro, but still with punch.

Thank you very much for your time!

El

I really like the riffing and guitar tones. The song and general vibe reminds me a bit of the Greenhornes (reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXpYZq8JE1I), which makes sense if you were going for a retro vibe.

I found the bass a bit boomy/muddy in places, which buried the kick. Maybe if you rolled off the bottom end a bit it would tame it.

I like the 'verb on the vocals, but it might be a tad much for my taste. Perhaps a slightly shorter tail or a little less wetness would help.

Good job, I enjoyed it.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks for listening and commenting!
You're right about the bass colliding with the kick, I actually wanted a crackly Iron Maiden-like bass sound, so I will cut some of the low frequencies!

Anyone else daring enough to take a listen? ;-)

Yep, I've jumped in and taken a Listen!

All sounds pretty good to me. You've captured that retro sound well. The Beatles influence definitely sticks out, I can hear a little Lizzy maybe, but unfortunately I can't hear any Hendrix (God of the guitar!).

I actually like the boomy bass, as most people wouldn't do that, therefore it's a little different to what you'd expect, which is a good thing in my book at least. Backing vox could've been a bit stronger, but that's not a big deal.

Generally very well done, I'd say.
Dreamer :)

yup enjoyed it...I like the bass but the kick needs more room imo...have you tried sidechaining it? Id still roll off some of the bottom end anyway if it were me

It sounds fine dude.

I listen to a lot of old Punk, Metal, and Death Metal bands that didn't really have the best recordings man. Their music is great, but the production sucks.

This has that kind of raw vibe, and I like it.

Back