Remix Feedback Please?

Nola

Hey guys, I posted this like a month ago, but the groove was a bit of a mess. I re-tracked the bass and re-programmed the drums and tried parallel compression on them (first time ever doing this) to give it more energy so it's not as plodding. Hopefully it worked out. Can you let me know how it sounds? Mostly looking for overall tones, anything poking out of the mix, and the rhythm/groove section. The vocal mic is an old-timey telephone type mic that I thought fit the vibe -- hopefully it doesn't turn people off too much.

Thanks!

Latest mix: Linked removed by request. GZ

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good. The drum part is more interesting and the groove is solid. If you wanted to work over the drums one more time to add some variety, the second part would be the place to do it. I could use a little more bass, but that's a matter of taste. Vocal is at the right level. Guitars sound good. Keyboard sounds about right.

This is good. The drum part is more interesting and the groove is solid. If you wanted to work over the drums one more time to add some variety, the second part would be the place to do it.

Cool. Thanks, Robus. I'll see if I can vary up the 2nd sections drums. Did the telephone vocal mic bother you? I have another take with a more hi-fi mic, but for some reason I didn't like it as much.

I think the drums could be a touch louder. Everything but the snare that is. At the very end the guitar stops a little abruptly. Maybe put a fade on that.

Steel string guitars are kinda barely there. I don't know if you were just using them for a pulse. Maybe they could come up, I don't know.

...Steel string guitars are kinda barely there. I don't know if you were just using them for a pulse. Maybe they could come up, I don't know.

As in the 3/4 time section(? Seems to provide some of the little counter point' going on- which could be nice to tie in the track.

Can't believe no one is noticing the snare that is lagging behind most of the first verse. There's a slight hesitation before nearly all of them. When I heard the first snare hit, I thought "woah, that's crisper and louder than what I expected". It's a nice sounding snare, I'm just not sure it's the right one for the track. It has a very clear and in your face vibe to it and the rest of the music is more roomy sounding. That first L crash is much too loud.

Check your MIDI lines and music tracks, they aren't lined up very tight. Something is slightly off because I'm almost through the song and the snare is still lagging the beat. It's almost like you wrote it exactly on the line, within the MIDI editor, then played the instruments live. Lots of us have a tendency to play early, me especially, so I always end up having to nudge my MIDI notes ahead very slightly in time.

Song about done and I'm thinking the snare should be not so bright and crisp still. A thicker/more dead-sounding snare would be nice here. I like the mic here, actually. :)

Man... we're all reworking our old mixes huh? No one feeling original anymore?! :)

Says 'Sorry something went wrong' when I try to play.
I click Retry.
'Sorry something went wrong'
Retry
'Sorry something went wrong'
repeat....
give up

Can't believe no one is noticing the snare that is lagging behind most of the first verse. There's a slight hesitation before nearly all of them. When I heard the first snare hit, I thought "woah, that's crisper and louder than what I expected". It's a nice sounding snare, I'm just not sure it's the right one for the track. It has a very clear and in your face vibe to it and the rest of the music is more roomy sounding. That first L crash is much too loud.

Man... we're all reworking our old mixes huh? No one feeling original anymore?! :)

Thanks. Yeah, that's a good catch -- I always program the snare a little behind the beat to give a "slack" vibe. I didn't think it was excessive for the style, but maybe it is, so I'll experiment with that.

I think the timing issue you're hearing is the vocal phrasing is slightly early at times, and with the snare being slack it's causing a clash. I listened to it without the vocal and it sounds right. With the vocal, it gives me some agita, which is almost always a sign of timing issue. Then I put on the vocal take I did on a better mic, and it's right on time (I think I sent you this one via pm a few weeks ago and you didn't notice any problem), and I don't hear those issues. So I think it's that vocal take. That's fine I will redo the vocal.

Bull, I don't know why the file wouldn't work. It's a public file and should work. Maybe SC is being weird.

As in the 3/4 time section(? Seems to provide some of the little counter point' going on- which could be nice to tie in the track.

Hm, there is no steel guitar -- those are just really high chords with a lot of tremolo on them. There's an organ in there, too.

Hey Nola

I too hear the lagging snare, but it's not too bad. Just listen close, watch the timer, and fix the ones that are bad. Shouldn't take too long. I would experiment with some slightly darker sounding snares though. This one's just too bright for the song. Sounds like it's actually panned a tiny bit left too? Nothing wrong with that, just wanted to see if I was hearing it correct. Overall you're heading in the right direction with this song, it's starting to sound more like a production than just a simple song. The tremolo guitars sound cool.

I'd actually experiment with a few harmonies in spots here and there. Maybe you already tried it, but I'm hearing a few places I think it would work nicely. Low and subtle in the background with heavy reverb...

Vocal tone is really nice - fits this song perfectly.

I thought the guitar level was a little low and the bass/kick level was a little high.

Double tracked vocals might sound cool. Harmony vocals would definitely sound nice.

That over-distorted guitar on the right that comes in at 2:01 sounded cool. Overly fuzzy, but the way you used it was really cool.

OK this works now on my laptop.
Mix is nice and clear on headphones. I think there's some room to bring the bass up to balance out the more prominent higher tones. I'm not a fan of that fuzz guitar tone, but the tremolo guitar is nice. Vocals are great. It would be nice to listen to this tune on a summer afternoon sitting outside drinking beer

I listened once and thought it sounded pretty darned good. Nice job.

I DID notice the lagging snare hits right away and agree with those who've suggested trying a darker sounding snare to see if it better fits the vibe of the songr.
Other than that, the only thing that sticks out to me is the tom sounds which, I think, sound a bit flabby and could use some EQ cuts in the mids (500 ish) as well as a bit of top end boost to accentuate the smack of the stick.

OK, second listen. I like that fuzz tone guitar but might bring it down half a dB. Can't say for sure whether or not that would be an improvement.

Everything else sounds good to me. Cool vibe.

Cool, I forgot to check this thread thanks for some of these follow up responses. Is the late snare really bothering people? It's only a hair off the grid and put there intended to give a slack/chill vibe. I didn't think it was so late that it threw things off time. Is that the case? The vocal delivery is a little early at times; I'm wondering if that's the real problem and making the snare seem more an issue. I down-tuned the snare a little last night, so I kept the same one but just deepened the tuning on it. Haven't yet uploaded that version, but I will. I hear what you guys mean it's bright/crisp for the song. I felt that gave it a more open sound I was looking for, but I kinda agree maybe it's too much.

Hey guys, there's a new mix in the OP that addresses the snare (the hits are on the grid now. Hopefully it doesn't mess everything else up). I reduced the decay on the snare, too, just a little to tighten it up, and darkened the timbre of it by lowering the pitch. Let me know if anything's improved. Thanks!

A new mix is up. Tried to further address the issues. Snare is darker and vocal timing tinkered with.
Thanks!

Snare is way better. I'd almost turn it down just a tad though, it seems a tiny bit in front of the rest of the kit still. If you brought the rest of the kit up to it, the drums as a whole would be too much, so lower the snare a db or 2 and see if you like it. I think you could safely put more reverb on the snare too. Sounds just a tiny bit dry within the context of the song. As for the rest of the song, I think it sounds great. I happen to like the sound of that mic too. It's warm and seems intimate, fits your voice well.

I really like around 1:40 when the feel changes with those soft palm mutes. The snare seems to fit a little better from here on, but I still think it's a tiny bit too much. Maybe just lower the velocity a little bit more in the first quiet verses, and then turn it down as a whole like 1db and see how it works for the whole song. Others might think different, but that's my take.

Whatever the case, you're definitely close to calling this done. Still need to put a short fade at the last 2 seconds so it ends a little smoother.

I'm such a n00b (<- yeah, oh yeah!) at this stuff so I don't know if my opinion matters...

I think the production on your song is excellent! Sounds like a real record, IMHO. :thumbs up:

Back