Relax Demo

Now, here's where it's pretty obvious you should've just dropped it, to me. If, in fact, you know there are NO crashes, rides, splashes, etc.., then why did you need clarification? In this case, it's clear (and appropriate) to call the hats cymbals. Why? Because they are the ONLY instruments of the type in the song.

I had to check my own song. It’s then that I asked, because the hats aren’t loud and there are a few loud claps which if you call hats cymbals, could mistake claps for cymbals.

to say someone's music sucks. They shouldn't have done that to you and you shouldn't have done that to him

I didn’t say his music sucks. I said the song sucks and stated that was one person's opinion. There’s a big difference. I actually said the mix was perfect and compared it to Boston and Toto. Which is not insulting the music. Unless you called my music Boston or Toto, then it would be insulting.

IF you read my last post you'd know why they are referred to by different names in different circumstances yet remain CYMBALS because that's what they are.
In short you are being, colloquially, a dick.

I may be acting a dick. But, you are a dick. A fucking idiot. If you don’t know to call hats hats (or hi-hats), then you’re fucking useless in my opinion. In the end, in my life, my opinion and intelligent people who know what they're talking about matter to me. You have a solid vocabulary, that "don'ts makes" you intelligent. It just make you a bigger dick.

If you want to use a different name than cymbals ( and I think you may have a point actually ) they're called Hi-Hats .... not just hats.

So if I said Hats you’d think cymbals (crash or ride)? RIght? But, if I said cymbals you’d think hi-hats? Yeah, most people call them hi-hats (I stated it quite a few times in this thread) or hats. I’m from a punk rock background.

lol .... after over 50 years of playing and recording professionally full time and playing with thousands of musicians live and in the studio, I've never heard a single musician or drummer call them HATS ..... it's always hi-hats.

But, if they don’t call them hi-hats they call them cymbals? They ask should I ride the cymbal?

I mean you do know I'm the one arguing you shouldn't call hi-hats cymbals?

actually it started out as people having suggestions and/or comments and the OP getting defensive and insulting about all of them

That’s just full of shit.

Good God! Some of the interchange is awfully harsh over something that started out as a terminology misunderstanding.

What misunderstanding? These people are arguing that you should not say hats or hi-hats that you should only say cymbals.

Well that was fun.

Last edited:
You caused the misunderstanding over cymbals/hi-hats by, somehow intentionally misunderstanding the comment about them being too loud. We can all tell the difference between a handclap sample and hi-hat. You knew what was being talked about. Or maybe you didn't? Either way, it's not a good look. I'm sure your therapist can help you unpack that.

I caused the misunderstanding, and need the therapist. You’re a fucking moron.

(2) I didn't offer an opinion on your song at all. I offered mix advice - detailed mix advice - after listening to it about 6 times. All those impressions you're getting on Soundcloud? That's me. My comment later about "little folky musings" is more a comment on the style and the wistful nature of it - you can choose to see it as a insult if you're that thin skinned. I didn't think it was rude. On hindsight perhaps I'd find another word than "little". I don't mind the song TBH - but I just wanted to give you mix feedback, not song feedback, as that's what the clinic is supposed to be for. But then you decided to attack my music. That's sort of the thing that's not done here - it's regarded as poor form. As for my song sounding like Toto or Boston, get a grip. And as for it not having "heart and soul" that is such a dumb thing to say. Completely meaningless. Completely subjective. Don't be a dick. The only thing, my friend, that's sucking here is your defensive attitude to honest mix critique.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. And your song, that’s also sucking here.

(3)What I heard as glitches isn't Soundcloud compression. I know what Soundcloud compression is and does. That's not it. There's still a pop at 0.03 - I doubt that's Soundcloud. In any event, listen to it on Soundcloud before posting, just so you know what people are listening to.

Well, you are the expert, what is it? If it’s not on my mp3, and it’s on soundcloud. WHAT IS IT? Don't worry, I don't actually expect you to answer.

but I've been on this board for 17 years

Perhaps you should spend time on songwriting sites. Just a suggestion.

So now that you've outed yourself as incredibly thin skinned, we don't need to bother each other listening to each other's mixes any more, I guess.

I'm so thin skinned, your post is the first I bitched about.

Then I tried to explain to the children that hats are not called cymbals when you're describing a track. But, the wee little ones just don't get it. They must be at the head of their musical class. But, hey who am I to ask people to call their instrument by the proper name?

Please don’t listen. I don’t respect your opinion. I’ve heard your song. We don't live in the same musical universe.

Any time you want to man up and apologise for your comments about my tune, you can find me in my trailer.

I don’t have to man up, I know the difference between hats and a cymbal when reviewing a track. I certainly wouldn't apologize for my opinion.

Sorry. I don’t have to be nice, you’re an ass. The difference between us, I don’t make excuses when I’m rude.

Just let the cymbal thing go man. When you're posting here looking for advice, you should be glad that someone is going to be brutally honest and tell you what they really think. It's to help you out, not to be rude.

Well folks,
"I’m from a punk rock background." is license to be wrong on matters of fact and wrong on matters of cordiality.
Perhaps I could say I'm from an ambient funk background - what would that excuse me from?
I know where I was in '76, where I was when I bought my 1st Damned flexi disc, (New Rose), ordered my 1st Sydney punk EP, (The Though Criminals' More Suicides Please), because there was no distribution for punk in Oz at the time, (the Saints did their own distro), and finally scored the Pistols album.
Verbal/written pugilism was a part of punk for some folk but rarely on such a trivial and, ultimately, incorrect basis.

High Hat, White Lie and Flails (an ode to Cymbalism)
I'm tappin' on my high hat
Ridin' on my China
Brushin' on my Crash
I'm polishin' my cymbals
Puttin' them on gimbals
Scratchin' at your rash.
Da da dee dah.
Boom tish.

I’m from a punk rock background.
Noam Chomsky would spin in his grave to see all this prescriptive linguistics from a self-stated punk! :D

So to clarify, your high-hat* cymbals are pretty loud for the mix. TripleM seems to think they're too loud (tho he's wisely refrained from returning to this thread), but I thought they were kind of a nice sound.

The claps sound nothing like a cymbal. We're not dumb.

*Bob, I will fight you on this spelling!**
** No I wont.

whew! :D

Fact remains ..... I kinda like the song .... personally I find the mix muddy but I always defend a musicians right to have the mix sound how they want.... lord knows when I do bother to post a tune, I rarely make changes because I already have it where I want it.
Now .... if I were doing something for commercial release then I'd do everything suggested because there's some real skills around here and they can only make a mix better.
But everything I do is for me so I make it the way I like it ....... however, I would NEVER get even slightly insulted if someone said they didn't like this or that ..... I would just not do it ..... wouldn't feel a need to get all bent out of shape over it ..... that's what juveniles do

which brings us to the brouhaha:

Lol .... he thinks we're mad about this and it has some importance to us and that's hilarious to me .... and his thinking that insulting people that have been courteous until he started insulting them for simply making suggestions is cool is even funnier.
This thread with a newb being unbelievably thin-skinned and amateurish is literally gonna have me laughing the rest of the day.

I imagine it's the same with everyone else .... no one cares ..... it's just a doofus that we'll all laugh about 2 years from now ... "Hey, remember that snowman goofball?" :laughings: great entertainment.

ahhh ...... :D

Quirky tune. I think the acoustic guitar sounds great. I like the drums, instruments, and I think the arrangement has a lot going for it too.

I'm not sure exactly how you processed the vocal, but I would rethink that. The song starts with a really organic feel, then the vocal has this processed sound that I just don't think works. I would stick with basic EQ compression and reverb for a more natural sound.

Otherwise a really tight recording!

Noam Chomsky would spin in his grave to see all this prescriptive linguistics from a self-stated punk! :D

So to clarify, your high-hat* cymbals are pretty loud for the mix. TripleM seems to think they're too loud (tho he's wisely refrained from returning to this thread), but I thought they were kind of a nice sound.

The claps sound nothing like a cymbal. We're not dumb.

*Bob, I will fight you on this spelling!**
** No I wont.

First: Here's what I wrote in Post #32 " I don't blame the two people who called the hats a cymbal. The first was probably just mistaken, and the second copied from the first."

As far as "we're not dumb". You called the hats a cymbal (not to mention your Chomsky quote) If that's what you do on a normal basis, perhaps you should learn the proper name of the instrument. It's just a suggestion. Then there'd be no confusion. If you think it's okay to call a hats track a cymbal track, you're just wrong.

personally I find the mix muddy but I always defend a musicians right to have the mix sound how they want

I completely agree. If I was going for a commercial release, I wouldn't be mixing it.

however, I would NEVER get even slightly insulted if someone said they didn't like this or that ..... I would just not do it ..... wouldn't feel a need to get all bent out of shape over it

Since I didn't, I'll assume you don't know how to read English. Or perhaps you've smoked, drank and did so many drugs your comprehension is gone. Either way... you're either a liar or a moron. I'll let you pick.

Lol .... he thinks we're mad about this and it has some importance to us and that's hilarious to me .... and his thinking that insulting people that have been courteous until he started insulting them for simply making suggestions is cool is even funnier.

I never said any of you were mad about this. I think anyone who argues that hats should be called cymbals is an asshole and 100% wrong. As a matter of fact you wrote "and I think you may have a point actually". But, even with acknowledging the fact I'm correct in calling an instrument by it's proper name, you're still an asshole.

This thread with a newb being unbelievably thin-skinned and amateurish is literally gonna have me laughing the rest of the day.

Lying won't get you anywhere. But, MAN UP and point out where I attacked anyone else's CRITIQUE of the actual song? You can't because you're a liar.

I imagine it's the same with everyone else .... no one cares ..... it's just a doofus that we'll all laugh about 2 years from now ... "Hey, remember that snowman goofball?" :laughings: great entertainment.

Well at least I'm not an ass who thinks it's okay to call hats a cymbal when critiquing the track of a song.

---------- Update ----------

Quirky tune. I think the acoustic guitar sounds great. I like the drums, instruments, and I think the arrangement has a lot going for it too.

I'm not sure exactly how you processed the vocal, but I would rethink that. The song starts with a really organic feel, then the vocal has this processed sound that I just don't think works. I would stick with basic EQ compression and reverb for a more natural sound.

Otherwise a really tight recording!

Thanks. I've been writing down the suggestions, and one day when I remix I'll add them in. Thanks for the listen.

I don't post on here very often but I just want to compliment Snowman on providing me with some amusement :thumbs up:

Well folks,
"I’m from a punk rock background." is license to be wrong on matters of fact and wrong on matters of cordiality.
Perhaps I could say I'm from an ambient funk background - what would that excuse me from?
I know where I was in '76, where I was when I bought my 1st Damned flexi disc, (New Rose), ordered my 1st Sydney punk EP, (The Though Criminals' More Suicides Please), because there was no distribution for punk in Oz at the time, (the Saints did their own distro), and finally scored the Pistols album.
Verbal/written pugilism was a part of punk for some folk but rarely on such a trivial and, ultimately, incorrect basis.

High Hat, White Lie and Flails (an ode to Cymbalism)
I'm tappin' on my high hat
Ridin' on my China
Brushin' on my Crash
I'm polishin' my cymbals
Puttin' them on gimbals
Scratchin' at your rash.
Da da dee dah.
Boom tish.

Still arguing it's correct to call Hats cymbals. Well you ARE an ass wipe and INCORRECT.

But, hey, let me tell you about 1972 when I paid 25 cents for a PROMO copy of the first punk band NY Dolls. Add another quarter for Iggy's Raw Power. I have Bowie bootlegs unknown to the net. I was only a kid, but my mom called a club close to our house to ask if she could bring me to the Dolls show. But, because I was too young they said no. Or how about the 1500 + shows I've been to in my life. Led Zep in 77 was my first, Kacey Musgraves was my last (Dec 16). I flew to Germany for a benefit Nina Hagen was throwing at the Tempodrome. I went to a few Carbon Silicon shows in Manchester and Stoke on Trent. Backstage the band was making fun of an asshole from New Jersey who asked for free tickets to a London show. That would be me. Yeah, they were shocked.

As I've stated many times, only ASSHOLES or MORONS would say it's OKAY to call a hats track a cymbal track. Well you go far beyond those trivial terms. By that I mean, you're much more than just an average asshole or moron.

You should record that tripe High Hat, White Lie and Flails (an ode to Cymbalism)

Scroll forward to 2017 on an obscure home recording message board;

Nothing has changed.

But, you know what the difference is? They were embarrassed for thinking the NJ guy was an asshole, and apologized for it. DICKS like you just remain a dick. Bubba boobly bunny bunt shit.

NJ? Notrightwithregardtocymblals Johnny?
Ah, punk - different things on different continents.
I have bootlegs unknown to bootleggers.
My mum rang Santa but because I wasn't an elf I wasn't allowed to take an apprenticeship in his workshop.
New York Dolls - cool band - some great stuff before mclaren became involved (the red leather suits and bass built into the outfit era). I didn't fly anywhere for a gig - too poor but a 12 hr train ride and $6.50 got me in to see Queen (still glam - though hard rock glam at that stage). No, wait, I lie. I flew from the north east of the state to Sydney to see Bowie in 78. Cost me my week's pay to do that but it was great.
'72 I was glamming it up with Slade, Bowie and Bolan - comes from being an antipodean - an buying a bass through layby.
Lots of shows, yeah & not a bad start - LZ on the wrong end of their career but still cool. I started out with Autumn in 69 and a few others but continued to glam it up with rockspider Gary Glitter in 73 as my 1st international act.
I've prepared the backing for my little ditty - I'm putting together my own version of the Classic American Songbook - I'm going to call it Making America Grate Again with a lead single Snowmanisanisland.
Here's where it kicks off...you already have the lyrics.

We all have our histories and mysteries, benevolent mums, 1st gigs and even variations on the names of instruments but being unable to grasp the error of our ways, to be oblivious to our own mistakes or to be so Trump like as to tell everyone and anyone how wrong they are and right we are belies more than hubris. Something darker lurks I fear.

Last edited:
BUMMER,
My grate idea is gone - I was pipped at the post.
I must admit it's sweet but they had the de-esser set too hard and the SSSS is missing form the critical line.

Last edited:
Back