Regret The Hour

gytte

Hello!

I've been into mixing for a few years now, I've mostly mixed just for fun but have done a few free mixes for other people. My mixes have gotten a lot better since I started and I've had some thoughts about starting to charge for them, although I'm not sure how much I should charge.

As a reference, I'm including a mix I did recently, as well as the unmixed version of the song. Am I good enough to charge in the first place? And secondly, what do you think would be a good starting point to charge?

Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• Regret The Hour Final Mix.mp3
    5.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Regret The Hour Unmixed.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 4
The answer is - as with all these things - some balance between "what you think your time is worth" and "what the market will support".

How much time does it take you to do a mix (including revisions, negotiating, marketing, etc.)? How much do you want to make per hour? Can you find customers at that rate?

Some rando on Fiverr will do a single-pass mix for $50; I've often seen amateurs charge $100 per song; amateurs with a degree and/or an internship under their belt seem more inclined to charge $150-$200.

Hate to say it, but I preferred the unmixed version. Right from the start, the raw mix seems more natural and live. The guitars were noticeably better raw, to me. I wasn't a fan of the R sided guitar on the mixed file, but thought it sounded great raw.

My mixes have gotten a lot better since I started and I've had some thoughts about starting to charge for them, although I'm not sure how much I should charge.

There are many Professional Studios that charge $75.00 to master a song. I have been inside this studio many times. They are the best in my neck of the woods IMHO and have been voted the best in DC this year as well. In this video the guy playing the 6 string is also playing the drums. These guys have taken many bands and launched them in their careers where they now preform at many local events along the east coast. Not only can they record your audio, they give concrete advice on how to help you progress with your own style of audio.

There is another member in this community at the same rate. I am sure there are many more. I have never used their services but their write up was very impressive. Their user name is [MENTION=23296]Massive Master[/MENTION]ing and their website is here.

As a reference, I'm including a mix I did recently, as well as the unmixed version of the song.

Between the original and mastered versions, you have a 1.2db reduction on the mastered and a 0.2db cut in the LRA with both having a -0.1dbTP with 0 clips above 0dbs. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it and if the truth be told, I like the mastered version just a little more than the final mix.

With that being said, I am inclined to follow the theory of "Never Master Your Own Mix" or NMYM (Nimm-Yumm <-- I just made that up cause I have been up way to long)! 5 straight days now and counting.

Am I good enough to charge in the first place?

I think you are, but my opinion means nothing! As long as you please your client, that is all that will ever matter.

And secondly, what do you think would be a good starting point to charge?

Like it has been mentioned above, whatever your local area market can bear if you only want to do local work. Having the advantage of the www in 2017 and being able to reach a global market, I would stay around the $75.00 per song/hr rate.

Last edited:
Between the original and mastered versions, you have a 1.2db reduction on the mastered and a 0.2db cut in the LRA with both having a -0.1dbTP with 0 clips above 0dbs. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it and if the truth be told, I like the mastered version just a little more than the final mix.

The OP never said anything about mastering. He said he has a raw file, perhaps from an online academy, and he mixed those raw tracks.

The OP never said anything about mastering. He said he has a raw file, perhaps from an online academy, and he mixed those raw tracks.

You are 100% correct. And since this is their first post and they have no information on their profile, and they never responded to @ HeavyMusic3000 question, you could be 100% right or wrong concerning their inquiry. Just as I am. However, I think my advice was dead on track, as were the other posters.

Maybe the OP will respond to their own post and concerning me and you and who is right or wrong and the winner gets a cup of joe from SBs. Peace Out!

You are 100% correct. And since this is their first post and they have no information on their profile, you could be 100% right or wrong concerning their question, just as I am. However, I think my advice was dead on track, as were the other posters. Maybe the OP will respond to their own post and concerning me and you and who is right or wrong and the winner gets a cup of joe from SBs. Peace Out!

Are you looking at the right thread dude? I'm not trying to be a jerk, really, but he was pretty clear with the whole deal, other than if this is something he recorded or if they are raw files from a website. I'm wondering if you are confusing this thread for another... everything's cool, not trying to be a jerk or anything. :)

Are you looking at the right thread dude? I'm not trying to be a jerk, really, but he was pretty clear with the whole deal, other than if this is something he recorded or if they are raw files from a website. I'm wondering if you are confusing this thread for another... everything's cool, not trying to be a jerk or anything. :)

No, we are both on the same page. Read the other comments as well as my own. I really do not see where the issue is. The OP never mention or even suggested he was mixing from an "Academy".

I really do not see where the issue is. The OP never mention or even suggested he was mixing from an "Academy".

Alright, not an "issue", as you write, I'm just saying it's not a mastered track. It's a mixed track. That's all. You said mastered, but it's a mix.

The reason I believe the song might be pulled from a website is the quality of the music/song. It's a very good song, recorded very well too. If he is just starting out, would he really have all that nice recording gear and a great room, and then ask if he should charge people? Just putting two and two together man. If he says this is his recording, then cool, I was mistaken.

Make sense?

If he is just starting out, would he really have all that nice recording gear and a great room, and then ask if he should charge people? Just putting two and two together man. If he says this is his recording, then cool, I was mistaken. Make sense?

It makes a lot of sense. I guess I just used the wrong word. But in the same breath, would not this same person need all the "right gear" to mix the song as well? I concede. It really is myself that started this confusion. I re-read the original post and he never said anything about mastering, only mixing.

PM me the closest Star Bucks location that you live by and I will have a cup of coffee waiting on you. Brother, I do this all the time. It is mostly between myself and Lawyers, although I have lured in a few PHDs as well. I am not a Doctor or a Attorney and I can proudly say that I pick up coffee for myself, more than I have to deliver to others.

It makes a lot of sense. I guess I just used the wrong word. But in the same breath, would not this same person need all the "right gear" to mix the song as well? I concede. It really is myself that started this confusion. I re-read the original post and he never said anything about mastering, only mixing.

PM me the closest Star Bucks location that you live by and I will have a cup of coffee waiting on you. Brother, I do this all the time. It is mostly between myself and Lawyers, although I have lured in a few PHDs as well. I am not a Doctor or a Attorney and I can proudly say that I pick up coffee for myself, more than I have to deliver to others.

lol, no worries. I knew you were involved in some mastering threads, so I wondered if you had them switched. Just wanted to make sure your "mastering" in this context meant "mixing", or if I didn't understand something. thnx, apologies if I harped you about it.

I prefer Tim Horton's coffee, but thanks :D

I prefer Tim Horton's coffee, but thanks :D

Small world Brother! If my memory serves me correctly, I caught this company on Fox News @ 5am'ish about six or seven months ago and donated to their children's fund via my corp. Is this the people you are referring to? Crap, we may have just hijacked this thread! To the OP, I am still watching your post and will do my best to assist you!

Small world Brother! If my memory serves me correctly, I caught this company on Fox News @ 5am'ish about six or seven months ago and donated to their children's fund via my corp. Is this the people you are referring to? Crap, we may have just hijacked this thread! To the OP, I am still watching your post and will do my best to assist you!

that's it, timmy ho's

Back