Reefer Madness!!

Guitars, bass, and vocals sound pretty good. The vocals are loud, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You might work to get them sitting a little better in the mix. The main problem I'm hearing is the drum overheads. Is this a real kit or samples? The cymbals sound swirly and overcompressed. Tinny, not a lot of body.

Sounds good on my phones. Feels like a sitcom theme song from the 90s..

Best comment ever!

Guitars, bass, and vocals sound pretty good. The vocals are loud, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You might work to get them sitting a little better in the mix. The main problem I'm hearing is the drum overheads. Is this a real kit or samples? The cymbals sound swirly and overcompressed. Tinny, not a lot of body.

I agree that the vox are loud. The OHs are not samples and there's very little compression. There's a hi hat that comes in on the chorus that I think is tinny. Any EQ suggestions or anything I could try? I agree, I just listened in my car and something about the cymbals are weird.

Sounds good on my phones. Feels like a sitcom theme song from the 90s..

What sitcoms were you watching in the 90s?!

This is probably a passable mix.
It's not bad, but there are a number of spots where it could be much more than it is.
The vox are a little loud as Robus said.
The drums could use a lot more punch, especially on the kick and snare. The music bed is kind of a wash of distorted guitars. Having the drums pop out more would really drive the song better.

Hey,

Cool song. Starts strong with alot of energy - that's good.

Here is my critique (please take it as constructive)

- Agree with others that the vocals are too loud and there are places where they are very loud - some automation would help there
- At the very beginning you can hear like the amp hum before the first chord is played. I would zoom in and edit this out - not hard to do but adds a polish to the song.
- The cymbals sound funny - agree with the others. If they are real drums try some EQ treatment on the overheads and possibly multiband or dynamic EQ if the performance is not too consistent and is part of the problem.
- Drums could do with more punch. I would try some different compression on the drum buss. My go to is Waves API-2500 and I just pick one of the five presets to find one that sounds best. You could also try adding a clipper to the snare and toms and to the drum buss but only small amounts at a time.

Vocals are a little loud as everyone said, but could still work there I suppose.

There are a few tuning issues at times, but nothing major. A few spots had some timing issues, but again, nothing major.

All in all, not bad. The mix pretty much fits the style. If it were mine, I'd definitely tame that lead vocal a bit though.

Nice job!

Round 2 was an improvement. The kick is outrunning the bass. Both might need some reduction at the low end, and then more bass. I'll see how round 3 sounds.

I went straight to mix 3.

I liked the energy to the song. I like power pop punk.

I like the vocal. Sounds good and well sung. A couple of pitchy spots at :48 and :49.

I thought the guitars sounded good. The lead guitar was super dry. Much dryer than the rest of the tracks.

I thought the drums were pretty far back in the mix. The cymbals are a bit dull sounding. They need a little more top end. Snare sounds pretty good. So does the kick.

I liked the bass tone.

Back