Recent Song remixed

andrushkiwt

Take a listen to a remix of a track I did a couple of months ago? It isn't near perfect, but better than the last. I can't control those "esses" very well on this song. Using a de-esser, MBC with gain reduction on high end of vocal track, EQ with 3db cut at +8k, and still get some instances of sssssss popping through. I like the performances too much to redo it, but I do think the problem is at the source. I was too close to the mic, and even the pop filter is only doing so much.

Anything else you guys notice?

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/this-city-1-mp3

thanks!

When it kicks in there's a lot of lower mids competing. Might need to adjust some of the EQ on the guitars or bass, to allow one or the other to be dominant. The filtered/distorted vocals don't really do anything for me, at least not being used for the entire song. Changing them up, maybe having cleaner more present vocals during the chorus, will help with their impact.

Overall the guitars lack any definition in the higher frequencies (that I wouldn't describe as grating), it sounds like they're leaving a large hole in the sound field around 1khz. There's definitely something out of balance here, not sure I hear exactly what that is though. Maybe someone else will better describe it. Best way I can explain is that, aside from the cymbals and the harsher elements of the filtered vocals, there's very little else in the higher frequencies.

Back