A recent mix of mine.

BillyBenson

Ok, so for this mix I did nothing but gain stage, eq, and compression. A few vocal effects, but not too many. I usually like my bass really loud and in your face, but I figured I'd pull it back into the mix this time.
Backing vox are literally the polar opposite of the main in terms of eq, with a little more rolled off.
I know I shouldn't master my own tracks, but I like to do so for practice. Basically, all I did was MB Compress for a tighter sound, slight eq, along with some corrective eq to bring out the lower freq of the bass in the mix.
Am I headed in the right direction? Feedback, please.

It's interesting. I don't think your groove is quite happening in places, between the beat and the vocals. The first sung part, the pitch shifting on the vocals didn't add much. I know what you're aiming for, but it didn't fit the vibe for me. I like the rap parts better than the sung ones. The song drags in places. Too many asides and interludes that slow it down. Keep at it. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Great vocals man. The autotune I'd probly try to get rid of the trilly parts where it jumps between semitones, just flatten it maybe instead. A shorter intro might be good, that's not an issue with the mix though really. Bass is really well balanced I think, the way you described it I thought it was gonna shake my phones off my head lol

Did you do the vocals? That's some talent.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I mixed everything. Since this mix my vocals have gotten way better.
I'm kind of just starting out with mixing everything as an entirety.

Back