real drums this time

cygnus

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been honing my mixing skills. I did away with electronic (V-drums) drums and have started micing a real kit. What a difference........ What I would really like to get out of this post are opinions on the drums specifically. I'm using a four mic method (2 overheads, 1 kick, and 1 snare). The only thing I feel is missing is the toms seem to be getting lost in the mix. Maybe it's just me. Does it sound OK or should I invest in tom mics?

The song is "Dying in my Hands"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13522745

Thanks for you comments.

I can see wanting to close mic the toms. First try lowering the vocals 2-3dB. Strike that, cut some 6kHz (guessing) from the overheads and raise them a little.

Great advice bouldersoundguy. Thanks.
The link will go to the new version.
The toms are back!!:thumbs up:

Sounds good!
one thing I noticed which is similar to some tracks I recently "fixed" is that your harder snare hits seem to be carrying a lot of high-hat with them. Now maybe that is what you want (the ring of the high-hat mixed with the whoosh of the snare), not sure.

I actually had to use drum replacement (since I could not re-track for the band I was mixing), so i could get a more pure snare snap and whoosh and manage it's volume without carrying the ring/jingle of the high-hats along with it. I tried EQ, transient shaping, etc. - but since the ring of the high-hat is in the same freq range as the whoosh, I couldn't get it to work.

Again, if that's the sound you are going for (it's subjective for sure), then not an issue of course.

I think what you might be hearing is a tambourine overdub. That coincides with the snare hits occasionally.
I just wanted to keep the drum tracking as simple as possible. If bleed from the hi-hat is there I wasn't planning on doing anything with it anyway. Actually there is bleed all over the place. I didn't use noise gates before the mixer.

Good song, nice mix. I like the drum sound. Snare sounds pretty distinct to me. How did you go about verbing the drums? Did you verb the whole kit or certain elements only? Sounds like a roland jc-120 on the clean guitar, nice sound. All the instruments and vocal are clean and clear, sounds very good to me. Excellent work!. What kind of mixer/setup are you using? (if you care to elaborate)

Back