Razzmatazz (Ken Gaines song cover)

keith.rogers

This was a one-take (each) guitar+vocal thing I did yesterday for a couple guys that sometimes jam along at an open mic, i.e., so they could get an idea of my tempo, etc. I'd used a shaker loop instead of a click when I tracked, and then I decided to play around with the Logic "drummer" thing. In no time the one guy (bass player) "phoned in" a track and so this is the result. Just a fun piece, and a feeble rip-off of the original (google the one-take/one-camera version by Ken Gaines).

Razzmatazz (Ken Gaines cover) by Keith.Rogers | Keith Rogers | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Miktek mk300 for vocal, AKG C214 for guitar. Both through a GAP 73 into F'rite Saffire Pro 26. Mixed in Logic Pro X.

That's good, nice performances. The acoustic guitar might be a tad loud which is making the mix a bit left side heavy (you could pan the percussion slightly right to balance it?). Vocal sound is good, nice and warm sounding

Nice feel. Acoustic sounds great, but does seem a tad loud, could maybe even be hi-passed a little higher, seems a little rumbly in the lows at times. Unless the bass is doing that. If that's the case, hi-pass the bass a little more. Or the bass could use a cut in the 200-ish area...(maybe the acoustic, too)

Vocals sound good, they'd be a little more up-front if the acoustic/bass was eq'd/turned down a little. Percussion seems right on, but might also have to come down a tiny bit once the acoustic/bass are adjusted a little.

Cool tune.

I tried to get the balance a tiny bit better and bussed the guitar and bass together and slapped a low shelf on down about 1.5dB around 200Hz. Added a tiny bit of "exciter" to the vocal just because it felt almost too warm, but maybe unnecessary... Uploaded to the same link. Thanks for the input!

Bass is totally inaudible on laptop speakers,
and I'm missing a bit of delay or reverb on anything for a bit of depth of field.
Everything feels so upfront.
It is a great recording, though, good performances, good tones and all.
Big thumbs up!

I get this kinda vibe from this recording:

This is a bit more polished around the edges, I'd personally prefer that.
:-)

Bass is totally inaudible on laptop speakers,
and I'm missing a bit of delay or reverb on anything for a bit of depth of field.
Everything feels so upfront.
Give it another listen. I diddled with the bass - so hard...

Didn't tackle reverb, but I know what you're saying. Maybe another day.

And, that reference vid, well, I'm having a hard enough time with Duolingo Spanish, so don't hold your breath for that :) (And, "polished around the edges" is not a phrase you'll heard spoken in the same sentence as my name, ever. I'm more in the back-porch, scat-kicking circle on that big Venn diagram ;))

yeah I liked it too, different style and simple and not a loudness war sound... the art of recording.
good playing and singing! kind of a fun song...uptempo

Back