Quick political song about the cost of a government trying to protect everything ...

It’s time to put on your coat, Bob
They closed the factories and let people go
Uncle Sam put banks on the dole
So It’s time to put on your coat

It’s time to put on your coat, Bob
Call a taxi to drive you home
It doesn’t matter if it was foreclosed
It’s time to put on your coat

Now and then, sad stories have an end
The hero doesn't win to fight again
They change their mind, it happens time to time

Because another story just begins

It’s time to hang up your coat, Bob
The government just announced it went broke
I guess there's some things too tough to control
So It’s time to hang up your coat

It's time we carry you home

It's a nice, pleasant tune, very folky indeed. I must say, though, that I'm not entirely sure I understand the message of the song. It could be that I'm just thick, but I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "put on your coat" (which is changed to "hang up" at the end) throughout the song.

The recording sounds nice overall, if maybe a bit dull in the highs. I think it could really be helped with maybe some tambourine or other percussion entering at the second verse to spur it along a bit.

Also, in the bridge, there's a chord that seems out of place to me. After "hero doesn't fight to win again," you stay on the I chord for a bit and then decorate it with a IV chord move. (Sounds as if you're playing in G and you add the E on string 2 and C on string 1 to make a C/G.) This is then followed by a C chord. IMO, that C chord's effect is weakened because you already went to it while you were on the G chord. Typically, a G7 would be used there to lead to the C. (You can hear the same device in lots of Beatles bridges for sure.)

Anyway, take all this with a grain of salt. I enjoyed the listen. Thanks for sharing!

It's a nice, pleasant tune, very folky indeed. I must say, though, that I'm not entirely sure I understand the message of the song. It could be that I'm just thick, but I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "put on your coat" (which is changed to "hang up" at the end) throughout the song.

The recording sounds nice overall, if maybe a bit dull in the highs. I think it could really be helped with maybe some tambourine or other percussion entering at the second verse to spur it along a bit.

Also, in the bridge, there's a chord that seems out of place to me. After "hero doesn't fight to win again," you stay on the I chord for a bit and then decorate it with a IV chord move. (Sounds as if you're playing in G and you add the E on string 2 and C on string 1 to make a C/G.) This is then followed by a C chord. IMO, that C chord's effect is weakened because you already went to it while you were on the G chord. Typically, a G7 would be used there to lead to the C. (You can hear the same device in lots of Beatles bridges for sure.)

Anyway, take all this with a grain of salt. I enjoyed the listen. Thanks for sharing!

I, too, thought of ambient percussion to perk it. Thanks for that thought, in particular (as well as the others).

I get what you're saying about the bridge chords too. To my ear, it sounds okay, but you're right about the traditional approach.

"Putting on your coat" is allegorical to providing protection (presumably against bad weather). "Hanging up your coat" alludes to "calling it a day" ... meaning "it's over".

I got the concept from a sci fi novel, "Footfall", where it was said, "All governments of man are only as kind as they can afford to be." Following our recent global meltdown, the thought resonated with me.

In general it was pretty good.

Something weird with the lead vocal at :33 on the word "drive." Like you went from a foot away from the mic to about 2 in. A couple more of those things later.

Little gak with the banjo on the right at about :46? Like there was a little stutter in the strumming. Might have been how you wanted it. Dunno.

The vocals were pretty far out in front. But I think for a song like this, that's the way it should be.

The instruments have a bit of a chorus-y sound. Might be SC doing it, not sure.

edit - also noticed the instruments lacked a little high end. Slightly dull.

Cool tune. I don't really like the sound of the instruments. I'm not sure what's going on with them. The left sounds like a buzzy 12 string and the right sounds like a banjo or something. I'm not entirely sure what it is. It's a good song I like it. Just the way the instruments are spread is distracting I guess.

It's pretty cool. Phil's right about the instruments sounding a little off. maybe they're just brighter and higher-fi than the vocals?

I might also be inclined to drop the harmonies during a few phrases, just to add more dynamic contrast.

In general it was pretty good.

Something weird with the lead vocal at :33 on the word "drive." Like you went from a foot away from the mic to about 2 in. A couple more of those things later.

Little gak with the banjo on the right at about :46? Like there was a little stutter in the strumming. Might have been how you wanted it. Dunno.

The vocals were pretty far out in front. But I think for a song like this, that's the way it should be.

The instruments have a bit of a chorus-y sound. Might be SC doing it, not sure.

edit - also noticed the instruments lacked a little high end. Slightly dull.

I've got some reverb on the instruments but that's it. Banjo and 12 string are close in frequency so I panned them out ... but I may be getting some frequency swish. You know I trust your ears, so I'll look further into it.

This was meant as more of a "loose live acoustic" approach, in contrast to my normal metronomically tight arrangements. I purposefully left in some warts accordingly to lend to that feel.

Cool tune. I don't really like the sound of the instruments. I'm not sure what's going on with them. The left sounds like a buzzy 12 string and the right sounds like a banjo or something. I'm not entirely sure what it is. It's a good song I like it. Just the way the instruments are spread is distracting I guess.

Great ears, Phil. It IS a buzzy 12 string. :D

... and it's a banjo to the right.

As per Trip ... I've got some cleaning up to do.

Thanks for the two!

It's pretty cool. Phil's right about the instruments sounding a little off. maybe they're just brighter and higher-fi than the vocals?

I might also be inclined to drop the harmonies during a few phrases, just to add more dynamic contrast.

Vote #3 for fixing the instruments ... and LOVE the idea of playing with the harmonies for dynamic contrast. I will be experimenting with that. Thanks for the thoughts, Steve!

Nice banjo part.
The ambiguity in the lyrics has me on edge though.
No solutions just resignation is what comes across.
The US is the MOST protectionist economy on the globe, the BIG END of town the most cossetted and it remains the most cavalier to the fate of the "common man" of all developed economies, (despite Obama's attempts to ameliorate this).
I'd like gang vocals on the chorus, a little less on the constant harmony and a little more harmonic enrichment.
Oh, I'd like a happy ending too like...

It's time to talk to the bosses Bob,
It's time to tell them to carry their load,
It's time to close all the loops holes and
Button up before the big ends implode.

There're cardboard shoe soles on Main Street
And pin stripped suits with congress support
The greenback pirates still pillage and burn
Now coat off, sleeves up there's truth to be taught.

Last edited:
Back