On the Quarterdeck with easlern and ibleedburgundy

I like easlern's voice on this. Fits the song perfectly. I think you could compress it harder, or do a fader ride on a few words. Some words get lost here and there.

I like that guitar on the right. Real cool sound.

The kick is dominating the bass just a bit.

Love the sound of the drums. No complaints. 'Cept the kick is a little loud.

Reverb isn't my thing, but I thought the type and amount you put in on this song was excellent.

I think my biggest complaint is there isn't enough "umph" to things. No real driving beat. Everything is kind of "flat" in terms of beat.

But these are kind of nitpicky complaints. Overall it's real good.

I think my biggest complaint is there isn't enough "umph" to things. No real driving beat. Everything is kind of "flat" in terms of beat.

I think I hear what you are 3M, and I wonder if a drum bus compressor would help. Ray, I'd suggest the DC1A DC1A if you group bus your drums. Just hit them for around 2db reduction, and it can really make them pump nicely. I don't know how many mics Dave bounces out, but for a kick or drum bus, this seems to work pretty well. Just a thought.

edit: and it's free :)

9 mics - 5 piece drums set, all drums mic'd. Snare bottom, hihat, plus 2 overheads.

If Ray has time, he can try a bus compressor on the kit then. It's a bit of a resource hog, though. Just an idea, and it's free. It's my go-to on drums and the last vocal compressor I use. Try the "relaxed" setting, if you're up for it.

New mix in the OP. Just making final adjustments getting ready for master. I am mostly interested in the lead vocal level, and how well the vocal is sitting in the mix. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the vocal is much different here. What did you do to it? It sounded better earlier, IMO. Did you overcompensate on that one issue? The rest sounds great, as mentioned. But you might have tinkered with the vocal too much.

btw, i'm talking about the mix you sent me just a couple hours ago. just to clarify. i know i mentioned the EQ on it, but i'm wondering if you did something to it since then. it sounds drastically different than it did a few hours ago. no?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the vocal is much different here. What did you do to it? It sounded better earlier, IMO.

I agree. It sounds like a different take. Sounds brighter and more lispy/sibilant/nasal than the other take (if it's different...seems it has to be). The phrasing at the 1:10 mark feels a bit different and less powerful.

Is there autotune on the vocal? I hear artifacts or something sibilant. Maybe too much compression brought that out. Please let us know what you changed!

Okay, hmm. There are some adjustments to EQ, level, compression, and ambiance since that version you heard. The bass came up about 3/4 of a db, which might be affecting how the vocal is sitting. I'll give the two mixes a listen back to back. Thanks.

Maybe some minor panning issues, that is a personal preference, I think it sounds great. Vocals are way up front(which I like), instrumentals are well balanced.

Back