Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head - TMBG cover

Dang that's auctioneer speed on the vocal delivery. Very quirky and cool. I love TMBG.

I liked the overly-fuzzy guitar.

I think the bass is a little soft. The mix is a little narrow. Not much going on on the edges.

But that is it. I really liked it.

Ok, this one, unlike the one you're prob referring to, is more suited to this tempo. It works better here, in my opinion. I can't hear the guitar as much on the R side, but I can tell it's doubled, barely. It's just not as bright. Plenty of space for the vocal and it comes through very well. Nothing stepping on it. Not much from me here, it works. Good mix.

Thanks all.

Mix 2 is up: Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head | Regdar and the Fighters

More of the right-had guitar
More and brighter BGvox
Possibly more bass and drums.

I'll have to sit on this until I get back from tour next week, but I'm happy to get more feedback before then!

In my opinion, the fuzziness on the guitars is slightly interfering with the vocal. Like they're in the same sonic space and it makes it harder to focus on the vocal; my ears have to "push aside" the guitar fuzziness and really concentrate on the vox. Hope that made sense. But yeah, the guitar seem more balanced now, for sure.

Where you playing out?

I think the vocals start out in a good pocket for the first 10-15 seconds and then get swallowed up a bit. Sounds very tough to sing but the enunciation seems pretty clear, good job on the vocal. The drums seem a bit loud to me-they are dominating the mix. I vote to turn up all the vocals until you can hear every word clearly over the mix, the rest seems pretty tight and should fall into place as the performances and tones all sound solid. *edit(mix2)

Good performances. Vocal is way out front but that's what you were aiming for. What's the tempo?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a TMBG fan. I don't know what it is, but they always rubbed me the wrong way because they always seemed so derivative of Talking Heads. It's just kind of like an actor that rubs you the wrong way or something, and you can't really ever shake it. That's TMBG for me.

Nevertheless, y'all did a fantastic job on this one. I really dig the fuzzed out guitars a lot. Everything has a great energy, and I really dig the 8-bit Atari-esque kick drum. The tempo is really damn fast, but y'all pulled it off. It almost helped in my case because it distanced it more from the original song. :) Although your vocal is reminiscent of Flansburgh, I like it much better than his. Great job on this one! I have no nits on the mix.

Back