"Pura Vida"

Is it just me, or is the primary vocal about 1-2dB too quiet?
Love all the play between the guitars L-C-R. Nice attention keeping lines and bounce.
The bass tone is awesome.
The end of the song almost drags too long, like it's about to go into the next song.
Brilliant performances.

This is way out of my ligue to comment on any technical tips so on a general level the song is really well arranged musically, great performance, sweet to the ears :)

Nice tune and great playing as usual Gonzo. Reminds me of Yes. Lead vocal needs to come up. Harmony vox are fine. The acoustics seem unnaturally loud in relation to everything else and are masking your vocals. I think they could sit back just a bit in the track and actually sound more powerful. Nice bass tone. What are you using? Great sounding percussion, though maybe just a few hits out of time?

Is it just me, or is the primary vocal about 1-2dB too quiet?
Love all the play between the guitars L-C-R. Nice attention keeping lines and bounce.
The bass tone is awesome.
The end of the song almost drags too long, like it's about to go into the next song.
Brilliant performances.

hi broken!
thanks for listening....

well, the vocal is supposed to be kind of quiet and reflective,
i was going more for a 'vibe' here, than mixing a 'singer songwriter' type of arrangement...

i kinda like the way the end just sort of happens, then comes back with one big reflective moment, and kinda resolves....
sorta like the end of "The Rain song", which must have been an influence on writing this one...

but, your comment there, made me think of a cool treatment of that section, something new,
that will keep it from dragging, but actually increase the 'wait for it' factor.
LOL

thanks for commenting

This is way out of my ligue to comment on any technical tips so on a general level the song is really well arranged musically, great performance, sweet to the ears :)

hey crycookie, thanks for commenting all the same!

believe it or not, that arrangement was off the cuff..

i had the riff worked out,
but didn't know starting the track, where i would take it..
and just kinda arranged it in my head, as i went along.

then, i had to go back and learn it.
LOL again.....

Nice tune and great playing as usual Gonzo. Reminds me of Yes. Lead vocal needs to come up. Harmony vox are fine. The acoustics seem unnaturally loud in relation to everything else and are masking your vocals. I think they could sit back just a bit in the track and actually sound more powerful. Nice bass tone. What are you using? Great sounding percussion, though maybe just a few hits out of time?

hi robus,
thanks for checking it out

maybe the reason the acoustics seem loud, is their pan location (two of the 4 acoustics, i believe were hard panned)

when i sit in the middle of my monitors,
the vocal is loud and clear, with no masking, so i don't know what's going on there.

the bass, is a Carvin LB70, and i'm running it into a sansamp Bass DI, and splitting off that and running a 2nd signal thru a POD XT.
blending the two in one buss.

the conga, is loosely played, so there probably IS a bit of timing issue.... but at least you know it's real, and not a sample!!

The LB70 is the one with the stingray type pup in the bridge position, right? Is that the pickup you are using? Sounds great. I've got a SansAmp BDDI as well, but never use it. I'm recording mostly with a Fender Jazz that typically needs a bump in the lower mids. The scooped sound of the BDDI just thinned out my mids too much. If I were to go back to using it, I'd need to do something like you are doing, splitting off the signal.

robus,
yes, splitting the signal is the deal.
the BDDI gives nice clean lows and highs....
depending on how you drive it and eq it...

then you get the midrange grunge from another source..
in this case, i happened to have a POD XT laying around,
but typically i use my guitar head (mesa boogie mark2b) and set it up to accentuate the midrange for the bass,
give it the drive character i want,
then blend the two signals together.

i've tried micing the same way, but it does throw a bit of time/phase correction issue into it..
the directs always line up fine, and i don't have to mess with them.

Back