Punk Will Not Die

DogmaticVox

Meh...
I had the itch to record a punk tune and more importantly, captured the magic of my drunken studio neighbor on my phone and needed a place to showcase it. hehe

Punk Will Not Die

I hear the Unknown Road coming through my stereo
I play it as loud as it will go
Don't Turn Away, memorizing every word
Singing til our voices hurt

I can recall all the good times we had
When the music that we love's playing back
In my heart punk will never be dead

No Fun At All, you found them at the record store
We couldn't wait til we heard more
We're Only Gonna Die, starting pits at sold out shows
You broke your arm, I bloodied my nose

Those times couldn't stay
While our lives have all moved on
We will always have those songs

Sounds pretty good, very good singing, the guitars sound good. My only nit pick is the drum beat, it sounds too busy in some spots for me. Overall mix is good. I liked it.

Pretty cool. I like the busy drums actually, and the guitar tone is good (as your neighbor said :D )

There may be a bit much compression. There were a few spots where some of the instruments started to phase a little.

The vox sound a bit like Faith No More in the chorus.

love this,tracks alive - and that's pretty rare these days :D

mix is nearly there,im at the opposite end when it comes to the drums,bring em up .. i wanna hear em :D

nice work :guitar:

Very heavy! I'm with cakewalkKaKed with the drums, I'd bring 'em up a touch.

Excellent playing and capture. not my particular cup of tea but credit where it's due. Great track! :thumbs up:

It's well done but there's no way it's punk let alone metapunk, (punk about punk).
The drums are a little busy. More level needed & some tweaking of the kick so it's more kick & less click (I the drums are a big element in it sounding metallic rather than punktatstic)
Your guitar sound is cool & singing is very good as usual.
The lines sung by the bvox are a little buried - they worked because i was reading the stuff but may not have been able to pick them out without that help.
then again - I was 19 in 76 so my understanding of punk is different to younger folk.

Agree with much of waht's been said. Guitars and vocal sound terrific.

Drums are a little busy for me. But for the genre, they may be appropriate.

I might nudge up the bass a bit? I can't hear a whole lot of low end.

edit - agree with rayc - it's not punk (at least how I think of punk).

I really hope punk doesn't die cuz I love it. It does seem to be dying though. Anyway, about the song...

Is your drunken studio neighbor Owen Wilson? Cuz that's who the guy in the intro sounds like..

Ahh I love punk. Great double kick, that is some serious energy in your drum track. MIDI? Or live? Or a little of both?

Your money line ("In my heart punk will never be dead") has kind of an awkward cadence to it. Maybe it's the pitch raise of 'punk,' maybe it's the spacing between the words. Can't put my finger on it. But I think in a few months you may look back and be like, I can do that a little better.

Great lyrics, really capture the scrappy spirit of punk.

JJ.

Really nice vocals! Hints of Patton. I think the drums are a tad busy, but not too out of control. Maybe dial down the action slightly, and a make them a touch more prominent.

But that's kinda taking the middle road of what others have said...

Tight recording, slick commercial sound. I like the busy drums, though the snare could crack a little more.
Solid guitar and vocal performances, about as punk as the Titanic soundtrack though.

Ok, another second.

IMO:Take the kick back a bit. Not volume, hits. They are a bit overkill IMO. I suppose I can't really say which ones, but there is a point where ..... blah blah.

Never-mind, it's awesome. :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Mixing drums has always been my biggest shortcoming, so I'm sure I'll go back and tweak it a little more here and there.

And who says this isn't punk? This is totally the early 90's so-cal punk style! haha.

This is sort of what passes for modern metal-punk these days. Sort of like Avenged Sevenfold meets NOFX.

The mix sounds very canned to me. It's very bright, kind of harsh, very inorganic. Guitars are kind of scratchy, drums are pretty robotic. I don't know, it just seems that way to me. Lots of stuff getting squashed and buried in what seems to be an overuse of layers and compression. None of it sounds real to me. I suppose that fits the style. It's not bad, I just think it could be better.

Back