punk Surf rock thingy "The ANIMAL!"

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
Hey everyone, just got a new guitar so I've been jammin away :D I tried a few new recording/mixing ideas for this one too so any comments/suggestions are very helpful. Thanks :)

crank it up and watch out for...
The ANIMAL!

I might redo the vox and verse lyrics too, not sure how bad they are yet ;)

Listening as I type. Are you doing something different guitar sound wise? I really like those guitar tones alot, not that i didn't before just something stuck out with these. Lyrics are inspiring. The chorus is great man, real fun sounding. Love the leads, especially the one at 2:16.. ive rewinded 3 times to hear that again. Another fave of mine man, you're on a roll.

take care dude

gary

gbav said:
Listening as I type. Are you doing something different guitar sound wise? I really like those guitar tones alot, not that i didn't before just something stuck out with these. Lyrics are inspiring. The chorus is great man, real fun sounding. Love the leads, especially the one at 2:16.. ive rewinded 3 times to hear that again. Another fave of mine man, you're on a roll.

take care dude

gary

Hey thanks Gary ;)
That's cool you like the guitar tones... Guitarwise I didn't do too much different recordingwise, just that I plugged a better brand new guitar into the setup :D So cool you hear a difference. Yeah this was a ton of fun to crank everything up and record. Glad you like it :) Yeah and I'm sure the chorus was disturbing to all my neighbors :D
Cheers!

Nice man....and I think you got the vox to sit pretty well. Actually, the guitars and vox seem to have decent space, man. Nice tone for the song. Just enough dirt. Have you tried to add just a bit of dirt to the vox? Might sound cool for this tune.

Cool man...

This song is catchy. You vox are coming out nicely. You're developing your singing style slowly as I hear each progressive piece. You should definitely process your vox less and keep them higher enough.

Does the song start with a growl?

This tune is definitely cool, man. :) Punk? Sure!

The bass could come up a little unless you're going for the guns 'n roses sound in the 80s. In that case just remove the bass. :D

1:46 - 1:57, the snare sounds different. After 1:57, the snare become different. Not sure if it's the snare sample or just the hats and cymbals.

Solo around 2:15 could definitely come up a notch or two.

Chicken break dancing? :eek:

Favorite line: "Yeah that's right fool!"

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey everyone, just got a new guitar so I've been jammin away :D I tried a few new recording/mixing ideas for this one too so any comments/suggestions are very helpful. Thanks :)

crank it up and watch out for...
The ANIMAL!

I might redo the vox and verse lyrics too, not sure how bad they are yet ;)

You are just an animal SnakeDude!

This tune is definitely very lively, the guitar tone sounds a little thin, but that is one typical characteristic of the Stratocaster!

Chicken breakdancing! :D

Good stuff SnakeDude!
Gorty :)

Dogman said:
Nice man....and I think you got the vox to sit pretty well. Actually, the guitars and vox seem to have decent space, man. Nice tone for the song. Just enough dirt. Have you tried to add just a bit of dirt to the vox? Might sound cool for this tune.

Cool man...

Thanks Dog! lol, I realized my trend around here is to post a song and then post a remix with louder vox, so when I thought the vox were just right, I raised them 2dB ;) I was actually thinking about the dirt thing on the vox but wasn't sure how to do it.
Any ideas?
I think these are my first vox around here with no added verb, there was enough natural room verb from the yelling that I kept them clean.

Thanks about the mix too, I think I've been learning things here and there on this board, and like RAMI said about his guitars in his thread, I feel like going back and remixing every song since I hear things I can improve now.

Cheers dawg :D

bigbubba said:
This song is catchy. You vox are coming out nicely. You're developing your singing style slowly as I hear each progressive piece. You should definitely process your vox less and keep them higher enough.

Does the song start with a growl?

This tune is definitely cool, man. :) Punk? Sure!

The bass could come up a little unless you're going for the guns 'n roses sound in the 80s. In that case just remove the bass. :D

1:46 - 1:57, the snare sounds different. After 1:57, the snare become different. Not sure if it's the snare sample or just the hats and cymbals.

Solo around 2:15 could definitely come up a notch or two.

Chicken break dancing? :eek:

Favorite line: "Yeah that's right fool!"

Hey Bubbaman!
Glad you liked it. The song starts out with my animal imitation :D "The animal" is my dog Rambo and that's pretty close to his sound.
About the bass, I was wondering if it was lacking a bit, but then when I raised it it cluttered the mix too much.. so either I'll go GNR or try to EQ it differently to raise it.
Good call about the snare. I kept the same snare there, but added another one and additional percussion like tambourine here and there. So since you noticed, you think that adds to it or distracts?
I'll adjust the 2:16 solo a bit when I remix this... I noticed it sounds kind of high pitched... I'll try to thicken it up... I was totally going for the 70s Boston chorus feel there.
Thanks man :)

Gorty said:
You are just an animal SnakeDude!

This tune is definitely very lively, the guitar tone sounds a little thin, but that is one typical characteristic of the Stratocaster!

Chicken breakdancing! :D

Good stuff SnakeDude!
Gorty :)

Thanks Gortdawg! My chickens always break dance, dont yours? :D
Yeah I was loving the clean tone, since that's what I'm most interested in for my songs, but couldn't help going rock here. I also went with slightly thinner tones since there's 3 guitar parts and I wanted to seperate them enough from each other.
Thanks Gort, I'll just try to get your kangaroo out my dog's washing machine now! NOT COOL! :)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey Bubbaman!
Glad you liked it. The song starts out with my animal imitation :D "The animal" is my dog Rambo and that's pretty close to his sound.
About the bass, I was wondering if it was lacking a bit, but then when I raised it it cluttered the mix too much.. so either I'll go GNR or try to EQ it differently to raise it.
Good call about the snare. I kept the same snare there, but added another one and additional percussion like tambourine here and there. So since you noticed, you think that adds to it or distracts?
I'll adjust the 2:16 solo a bit when I remix this... I noticed it sounds kind of high pitched... I'll try to thicken it up... I was totally going for the 70s Boston chorus feel there.
Thanks man :)
About the snare, it doesn't so much distract as it is noticeable and I was thinking if it was a different sample loop or just a different snare. Just was noticeable for me and got me thinking so I thought I would mention it. Maybe the second snare is not needed or maybe it can be mixed in to be more subtle. Just throwing out ideas, man. :)

About the bass, I can comment on bass but I can't EQ it. I am still trying to figure out how to EQ bass in my tracks. :)

In terms of 70s, you definitely captured the feel. :)

bigbubba said:
About the snare, it doesn't so much distract as it is noticeable and I was thinking if it was a different sample loop or just a different snare. Just was noticeable for me and got me thinking so I thought I would mention it. Maybe the second snare is not needed or maybe it can be mixed in to be more subtle. Just throwing out ideas, man. :)

About the bass, I can comment on bass but I can't EQ it. I am still trying to figure out how to EQ bass in my tracks. :)

In terms of 70s, you definitely captured the feel. :)

Cool, I'll mess around with the extra snare a bit.
I feel like I genre hop often when writing music, but 70s rock, that's like what I listen to like 90% of the time! :D
About the bass, I pretty constantly have the hardest time mixing that right... I'm still working on that too.

Cool tune Snakedog.....this just rocks!

That's a nice sounding guitar you got there, congrats on your newest aquisition....how bout a photo?

I agree with Dogman - good mix on the vocals and guitar here...and drums....

Bass is my downfall too, so I'll leave that to you to play with, it's just a tad low but nothing major.....

Another classic tune ...... :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
SnakeDog5050 said:
Thanks Gortdawg! My chickens always break dance, dont yours? :D
Yeah I was loving the clean tone, since that's what I'm most interested in for my songs, but couldn't help going rock here. I also went with slightly thinner tones since there's 3 guitar parts and I wanted to seperate them enough from each other.
Thanks Gort, I'll just try to get your kangaroo out my dog's washing machine now! NOT COOL! :)

My kangaroo needed a wash anyway, see my blurb under my name: The Grottiest R00!................So it is cool! :)

Snakedoggy!!! Kick ass cool!! At 2:00, you start to cut loose with a guitar solo...but for some reason backed off. It runs from 2:00 to 2:10...and it is a nice hot lick.

Now, the guitars still picked up in rockin' pace and you was uh bouncin off the waves!!! Kick it Snake!!! :D :D :D

I love your backup vox too!!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

FUN FUN FUN,
Until the animal took the bass player away.
Why is that?
INfectiously good.
A little snake oil to get you lubricated for the rave mate?

Jamming...got some of that 70's Iggy and the Stooges Detroit garage band flavor to it...new guitar sounds great!!!I'm partial to strats myself,you got a whammy bar on it?Waiting to hear some crazy dive bombs and stuff!!
Really sounds good to me....dig it!!

Oh and,

GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hey thanks very much for listening ido, Gorty, axeman, True, RayC!

Animal Update 1!
I took the suggestions so far and updated the file in the first post. There should be a bunch more bass, how does it sound? It's a slighty new tone too. :confused: i took Dogman's suggestion and added a tad bit dirt to the vox, not sure if that works yet... and also adjusted the 2:16 solo chorus a bit.

Axeman - yeah I'm lovin' the guitar, I was really impressed with the clean tones, but am also diggin the electric too... and of course The wammy! :D GO SUNS!!!!!! :D

RayC - glad you had fun with it. I got a hold of the animal and his bass stealing habits and hopefully added enough to the new mix

Gorty - if your r00 is always taking up the entire washing machine the "HOTTIE" won't have any cloths to wear at my place! :eek: :p

True - pics coming SOON! Yeah I was jamming the waves, around with two main keys in this song, and for the solo part I thought it'd be fun to switch back and forth, like loud to calm to loud, then the main chorus. Just trying new things all the time :)

ido - hehe, pics coming SOON! I'm officially addicted to the new gutiar :D Thanks for the props on it. And thanks again everyone for the listens and comments! :D :D

Snakedog said:
True - pics coming SOON! Yeah I was jamming the waves, around with two main keys in this song, and for the solo part I thought it'd be fun to switch back and forth, like loud to calm to loud, then the main chorus. Just trying new things all the time
I still want to hear that lead riff taken on out to some surfersonic wanking Snake!!! :D :eek: :p ;) :cool:

true-eurt said:
I still want to hear that lead riff taken on out to some surfersonic wanking Snake!!! :D :eek: :p ;) :cool:

For once I actually tried to keep this song simple and short, but there's always room for The Extended Wankfest Version!! I'll get on that, because they say you can never wank too much :D :D :D

Back