Prog Rock

Stratomaster

Greetings-I posted this as an instrumental some time back and recently added vocals. I still hear a few things that need attention and the vocals in general are kind of meh, but i think the basic balance is good. Let me know how it sounds to you, thanks for your time!

Lyrics

the motion leads you down a path
you're standing in the thick of it
lights camera action
people come at you from everywhere

a voice stands out among the rest
but who is meant for it
you call toward the place
the place you've never been

A message streams across their sight
all captive to the neon lights
a vision of the past
and what it meant to be

the voice shouts and blocks the light
people come from everywhere
motion leads you down the path
of what is meant to be

bipolargressive by NovaBasa | Nova Basa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Mix 2

Sirens Call by NovaBasa | Nova Basa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Cool vibe, Strat.

Guitars seem a little mid-strong, but my ears are shot from mixing, so see what others say.

Cool, tasty chords in there for sure. I like when the left guitar comes in halfway through the verses, sounds big.

Bass could maybe use a little more low-end, but again, see what others say.

Cool dreamy 'verbs on the leads. Love the last chord, too.

Cool tune, man! Very tasty.

Agree the guitars have too many mids.
I liked the song, though. Vocal sounds like Lou Barlow.

I enjoyed it. I have to agree that the guitars are walking over the vocal in places and would be more translate t with a mix cut.
everything else sounds good

Like the instrumental chorus. I hear a variety of prog influences in there ('80s Yes, '70s Floyd, Porcupine Tree).

I don't hear the guitar issue, but listening on headphones. I agree the snare might be a little too buried. The delivery/pace of vocal delivery for the following line seems off, may just need a retrack?

"but who is meant for it"

Hey I like this a lot.

It has a very big vibe to it.

It covers a whole lot of ground for a <3 minute song.

Curious about the title - what's that mean? Is that a mashup of bipolar and aggressive?

Thank you all for your time and comments, i've been slaving over this till i'm just sick of it-I started from scratch again today and what i came up with is sounding very similar, maybe better balanced but weaker in volume so packs less impact unless the volume is compensated.

One difference for the better is the kick drum-version 1 it is pretty obnoxious sounding the remix i've come down on the kick and subsequently the bass but they should sound more distinct now.

Guitars were widened they were at 50ish l/r now they're at like 75. Eq'd the left side guitar a bit.

Drum overheads widened

There's a percussion part during the A section, almost sounds like a snare drum-barely audible until you hear it

There's 4 tracks of vocals in the C section-

Vocals may be even more buried than before-i accidentally deleted my vocal bus with all the processing, not sure about the way i remade it. Changed out a few lines with alternate takes.

On the "mastering" end i went through an eq to remove a little in the 100ish hz range and did a small high shelf up starting around 6k-Vintage Warmer for some volume and grit, and waves limiter adding another db or 2. I could do better, i made the master right after several hour of fairly loud mixing.

Renamed to Sirens Call-You're correct Manslick i put the original title together to describe this as an instrumental-but it didn't really fit the lyrics.

Remix is up if anyone is interested, i tried to use all suggestions made, thanks all for your time!

I thought it was a cool song that had a great feel to it.

I thought the crunch guitars were a little thin, but to me it worked well in this song.

You might want to do some fader riding on the bass. There were some sections where I thought it was too loud - and dominating the guitars.

The drums to me sound very roomy. More-so than the other tracks. They seem far back in the mix and almost in a different space.

I may nudge the level on the synth a db or two.

But a great feel to the song. I liked it.

edit - the bass has certain notes that come out boomy. I think that's more of what I'm hearing. You may need to find the boomy frequency and notch it down.

Sorry I missed this. It sounds very good to me. The vocal could come up slightly. That's all I've got.

Saw the thread title and kinda ignored it for the last week. Not really interested in listening to prog rock. But gave mix #2 a listen today and I enjoyed it. It's got a nice vibe which makes me want to listen to the song and not the mix. But I stayed focused. Really not much room for improvements. The song is dialed in and any suggestions boils down to personal preference. I thought there was a good balance on the drums and the bass has a great tone that separates it out from the rest of the instrumentation. I don't care if others think the guitars are mid-rangy. They have their own space and are distinct.

Yeah, vocal could come up but you run the risk of squelching the vibe by doing so.

Cheers,

I remember the instrumental version of this. Vocals are very good and appropriate. Mix 2 sounds more complete and comprehensive. Nice job

Back