A "Pro-war" but "Anti-Bush" Song

Philby_Walsh

yes, such a viewpoint is possible. This song is about how the actions of the USA, while motivated by non-humanitarian factors, ultimately will help the people of Iraq.

This is my first attempt at recording a song on my tascam 4 track with
more than just acoustic guitar and vocals. There's a vocal, acoustic, electric
and bass tracks on there. Let me know what you think. I don't think I'll
be able to get tracks much better quality than this one due to the limitations
of the 4 track. An SM-58 was used for the vocals & acoustic. The electric was
direct input through a Zoom 505 (my amp is being repaired) and the bass was direct
input too.

"You've Forgot Your Change"

Don't like it lyrics. Don't agree with the politics. Don't care for the song in general.

The only group I've ever heard successfully sing about politics is Pink Floyd.

This board is about mixing...

I don't think I'll be able to get tracks much better quality than this one due to the limitations
of the 4 track.

Could you perhaps give me a reason why I should give you tips then? If you're not able to do anything with them, I rather spend my time on someone who can... :)

Not trying to scare you away, but the idea is to post mixes, get responses, learn how to do things, and then post remixes

(yeah, I know...my first post around here was a 'finished product' post too....but I've learned a lot since)

sorry if my post came across in the wrong way.

i am looking for constructive criticism/ways to improve the song but I only mentioned the 4-track limitation thing because there's only so far you can go with it as compared so some of the set-ups people on here have.

i want to make it as good as possible given that i'm using a cassette 4-track - any help is very welcome... :)

ahh.. dude im sorry. This is just begging not to be heard. I hate politics in music eeeeeecch!!! Fucking rageagainstthemachine went all downhill once Zach started thinking he was Shinaed o''Conner.

This approach is going to turn off people who don't like political music, Republicans, and other Bush supporters. The marketing people at your label must already be seething because you've just narrowed down your target audience to the size of viewership for "Life With Jim".

I wish i could force myself to listen but i can't. sorry. i'd rather go to the dentist.

If you need a new best friend make sure BDGR sees this. He will love you, trust me. I'd tell him myself but he ignores (absorbs and savours everything I post with a delicious zeal, wistfully salivating over my judicious and tasteful and hopelessly out of reach bon-mots) me.

Last edited:
I didnt listen to the song but thought I would give my opinion as well.
And i will bring up the group the Dixie chicks on this one.
To me if I was to go to a concert of anyone and pay out my 45
bucks or so and had them stand up on stage and give me their
bullshit political views weather be Democrat or republican or what ever they are I want my money back.
Why do so many artists think that when they go on stage to do a
job or an interview that they have to give us that crap.

Why do they take the risk of pissing off about half of the people
that are there to see them and put money in their pockets?

Oh well im through now.

The only band that managed to mix politics and music succesfully was The Soggy Bottom Boys. :D Man i love those guys.

Whatever guys...

I don't find anything to really sink my teeth into in this song. The bass is really too loud or boomy. I like the sound of 4 track cassette. The politcs are really not very defined, it seems more like a few cliche type ideas strung together, there's no real point musicaly for the message to come across.

Good recording, sounds like fun. You have a good voice and the playing is nice, keep 'em comin'.

jake-owa - cheers for at least listening to it man ;) Your prob right about the bass. It is a bit much. Should I take the volume down a bit and roll off the low end?? I just jotted down those lyrics in 30 is so maybe they're not the most cohesive you could get. I'm still pretty green @ lyrics writing so I s'pose you have to hit a few duds b4 you get something worthwhile

Herm - imho I'd be more likely to demand my money back from a band if they had flimsy, meaningless lyrics (ala Oasis) than if they had lyrics which expressed a viewpoint (whether I agreed with it or not). Why is politics a taboo subject for songs?

Khompewtur - sorry man who is BDGR?? Is he someone on here?

Here are the lyrics for all of you that couldn't bring themselves ;) to listen to it. Maybe ye can sink your teeth into this instead :)

You’ve Forgot Your Change

Verse 1

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should
How can one man with such power really be good
He came in through the back door and he’s leaving through the front
He’s taking everything he can get and guess who takes the brunt

Chorus

You’ve traded the devil for godom
And you’ve forgot your change
The lesser of two evils
Hail to the thief

Verse 2

He’ll rape you and dictate you and they’ll all stand by
As long as the oil flows noone bats and eye
He’ll feed you with one hand and rob you with the other
And just when you think it’s over he’ll send in his brother

I liked the electric tone and the vocals weren't bad. The acoustic gets pushed back a lot and the bass is a bit eratic. I think the main problem is sloppy dynamics. Compression would help a lot and if you don't have any compressors than retrack and really watch your levels on that bass.

TexRoadkill - cheers man. I know what your saying about the bass, it is a bit all over the place. It does take a lot from the acoustic (which is annoying because the song was originally just an acoustic & vocals which sounded good imho). I don't have any compressors (expect for maybe using my guitar FX pedal for compression which would prob. sound awful) so I guess re-doing the bass is the best option.

Did you or anyone else think that the recording was lob-sided (left-heavy). Whenever I take a line-in to the PC its all very heavy to the left & I have to centre it up (which f*cks with the L-R placement in the recording). All my songs sound a fair bit better when mixed to Mini-Disc than when I transfer them from MD to PC.

yeah the bass is a little out of control.. the vocals were a bit weak in a few spots.. I noticed the song was encoded @112 kbps? I'm sure that's not helping things.. The song seemed like it was filled with standard anti Bush prattle, and that's O.K., but it doesn't gel as well as it should.. maybe if you can make the vocals catchier sounding, the point might stick better..

Did you or anyone else think that the recording was lob-sided (left-heavy)

No, that part of it was o.k.

It seems anti war too ("As long as the oil flows noone bats and eye"). If it was your intent to say that we'll help Iraq in the long run, I didn't hear that message. I'm with Khompewtur and Herm in that I don't see why big-time musicians feel their views ought to carry more weight. They're free to do that. However, as the Dixie Chicks are finding out, people are free to not like it. Anyway...

I thought the melody and the acoustic guitar part were pretty nice. I agree with Sam about the lyrics - not much new being said.

Some goofup at 1:04. Another at 2:36.

The lead guit is a bit muddy - causes some rattling in the headphones.

On the vox, it sounded like you were very close to the mic. Maybe back off an inch or two? Did you use a pop filter? You might need some more compression, becuase some lines (e.g., "Hail to the thief") are covered up.

Vox weak in parts almost as if you were unsure of the correct note.Played out topic.Needs another change or some drums or something.Why so bassy?Mixing on your computer speakers?Pleasant enough to be Christian Contemporary.

Back